Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life marks its 50th anniversary
bluesky does not seem to really be talking about this but today Stevie Wonder unleased 4 songs that didn't make "Songs in the Key of Life." music.youtube.com/playlist?lis...
as my friend Travis said when I sent him the link: "Imagine if "It's Easier" wasn't one of the 15 best songs you wrote that year." All 4 of these tracks are completely amazing. What else has one of the greatest American musicians ever to live got sitting in the vault
"It's Easier"... hoo boy! I'm actually kind of mad at Stevie for depriving us of this song for half a century.
The timing makes me think it’s a uk rights retention release. If you haven’t commercially released a recording after 50 years you potentially lose protection that otherwise would extend to release + 70 yrs, so there are swathes of cool releases right at the 50 year mark.
For the Apple Music folks:
That bass groove on "It's Easier" goes hard
I needed something good today and I can’t wait to listen
I was busy all day, but this is big big news
Annoyingly seems to be only streamable, not purchasable at the moment (but that gives me hope that maybe we'll see a fuller archival release before the end of the year)
problematic talent gap with this and another set of 4 songs from a previous album someone just released
One of these is the Roberta Flack tune, “I can see the sun in late December,” which Stevie wrote.
Thank you ❤️ I needed this today and everybody needs a little more Stevie in their life
these are incredible. we are truly blessed
@alanalex3.bsky.social did you see this?
It's a failure of society and all of you, individually, that I did not know this
Yes I will have some thank you.
this is impossible my lord
Stevie Wonder releases four unheard songs from Songs in the Key of Life sessions
I have that album! I absolutely LOVE ❤️ 💕 💖 that album!! 💿
Umm. Material not good enough for original release.
🚨 ALERTA 🚨 ESTEJAM AVISADOS!!!
Stevie Wonder veröffentlicht vier bisher unveröffentlichte Songs aus den „Songs in the Key of Life“-Sessions Das bisher unveröffentlichte Material erscheint anlässlich des 50-jährigen Jubiläums des Albums, das Wonder mit einer Arena-Tournee feiert
50 anos de um dos maiores discos de todos os tempos
The gift we all needed
One of them is described as 'squelchy funk'. Definitely my favourite genre of Stevie songs.
That's great Stevie. I just released five
Por causa disso aqui bsky.app/profile/theg...
50 years ago today, Stevie Wonder's 'Songs in the Key of Life' was released. It spent thirteen consecutive weeks at number one on the Billboard 200 and won a Grammy for Album of the Year...
One of my favorite records on the planet. I have it on vinyl and CD. It's a master piece.
ending 1 of the great album runs in pop music history only bested imo by the Beatles 😉👍🏼
"As" is one of my all time favorite songs. I listen to it regularly.
I still listen to it. 💞
Best album of all time.
STILL every bit as amazing as it was when released.
Happy 50th Birthday to Stevie Wonder’s Songs in the Key of Life, not only my favorite album is all time, but one of my favorite THINGS, up there with pizza, dogs, sunsets, and the laughter of children.
I originally bought the album on the bizarre and now deservedly defunct format of 8-Track Tape. The songs had to be re-arranged to this order in order to fit evenly into eight “channels”. On the plus side, the format allowed me to put a cartridge in and it would play on a continuous loop forever!
Did you hear the good news: (a) four new songs to add to the album (b) touring and playing the album in its entirety
Did you see he just dropped 4 outtakes from it? www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mxf...
I stole my dad's, along with all his Stevie Wonder records, when I left for college and then gave them back for Father's Day 15 years ago. He recently hucked his vinyl when moving house and I was furious until I discovered that my youngest brother made off with the Stevie Wonder first.
Played the hell out of this back in the day. Thanks for the reminder.
Incredible album! Stevie is king
I was in my first and only year of college, it was another year or so before I could afford to buy the LP, but I’ll never forget the thrill of hearing those beats of “I Wish” on the radio. What a brilliant album, through and through!
This. I knew the hits on this album from my childhood, but digging in during my 20s literally changed my life. It shaped my worldview, gave me a reliable source of joy, and probably directly led to my marriage. It takes zero seconds for me to confidently put this at the top of any album list.
Played the hell out of this back in the day. Thanks for the reminder, Ruben.
This was three posts down from yours and, honestly, a pretty good key: bsky.app/profile/rube...
This is in my top ten or even top five favorite albums, it’s absolute perfection
50 years ago today one of the greatest albums of all time was released. Thank you Stevie Wonder for this masterpiece "Songs in the Key of Life"
Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life billboard in Times Square, 1976
One of my all time favorite albums. Was fortunate to get to see the Chicago show in 2014.
My sister played songs off this album to put me to sleep when I was tiny. It was my first lullaby. It's in deep.
I played this double album all through my teens. I knew my parents wouldn't object to it and it was long enough to get me through a lot of chores.💃🏿🎶
The greatest album as far as I’m concerned. No one has ever pulled off a feat like this in music history.
I believe this album contains the single greatest song in the history of rock/pop/funk/soul history.
Stevie had one of the greatest runs of all time.
Perfect album. No skips for me
An absolutely perfect album, IMO.
Stevie Wonder released his eighteenth studio album, “Songs in the Key of Life” on this day in 1976. It is widely considered his magnum opus, blending pop, soul, R&B, jazz, funk and gospel. Thoughts? Favourite tracks? #StevieWonder
Absolutely phenomenal album. "Isn't She Lovely" is my favorite, followed by "Sir Duke" and "I Wish." So much soul, funk and incredible musicianship packed into one album. Stevie was on another level here.
The last album in the greatest 5 album run in history. Unmatched to this day. Unmatched, I say!! I saw Stevie a few years ago, and he did a bunch of tracks from Songs in the Key of Life. It was the greatest concert of my life, and I've seen a few over the years... www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmG1...
One of the greatest albums ever. Sir Duke As Pastime Paradise
Sir Duke and I Wish are my favs.
Sir Duke Pastime Paradise And of course Isn’t She Lovely This is one of the all time great albums. 🙏🙏❤️💙
Sir Duke I Wish As Isn’t She Lovely Joy Inside My Tears
50! An overflowing album (a double Lp with bonus 45; it seems meant for the CD or streaming age). Its richness still astounds, full of fresh discoveries ("Contusion," "All Day Sucker,"etc)
Dave Marsh, on "Sir Duke": "A tribute from a student to a master? Or from the nonpareil of one generation to the peers among his predecessors?..You wonder who, in the next generation, might be talented enough to be able to return the favor" www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnNg...
and it got all-round terrible reviews when it was released, in Britain at least. MoR wallpaper, wailed hordes of bearded, long-haired white men.
This is a very fun listen
I remember thinking "Contusion" sounded like Rush, in a good way. Such a blast to see all of it performed live.
I found the whole deal for a nice price at a record fair (and it's the Canadian one so it's on Tamla-Motown too)
I mean if you don't have this or haven't heard it...do yourself a favor. Like, now.
This album is a very very good album.
this, along with Abbey Road and a couple others, is some of the first music I ever heard in my life, my dad had it on vinyl and I've got my own copy now (with 45)- this set the standard in my mind for what good music should sound like, an extremely high standard and I'm glad I have it, thanks dad ❤️
I was ten as my older brother played this album several million times when we were living at home so the music is encoded in me at a cellular level.
One of the most revered and celebrated albums in music history was released on Sept. 28, 1976 — 50 years ago today. Songs in the Key of Life tracks, ranked:
BTW, Stevie dropped four bonus studio tracks today that have been sitting in the vault for five decades. Here's my favorite of the new bunch. www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3HZ...
Knocks Me Off My Feet is waaaaaaaay too low
Knocks Me Off my Feet at 16???? (Seeing him in Detroit in December, cannot wait)
The fact that Pastime Paradise - which inspired the classic Coolio and Weird Al songs of my childhood - is only in the middle of the pack is a testament to this album’s greatness.
If you haven’t sat down and listened to this entire album, do yourself that favor. It is one of the great works of art in the last century.
I make The Face and start bobbing my head just from thinking about Have A Talk With God 🔥
Still one of the best albums ever.
Stevie Wonder’s album “Songs in the Key of Life” turns 50 today.
I’ve been listening to the album this morning and now I’m stuck listening to “As” on repeat. I’m a 55 year old Black individual so I’ve heard this song roughly 10,000 times but I still get lost in it.
Stevie just released 4 unreleased tracks from the SitKoL sessions this morning: music.youtube.com/playlist?lis...
Ranked #4 on the 2023 Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All Time 🌟 musicbrainz.org/series/bb3d9...