Gavin Bazunu withdraws from Republic of Ireland squad ahead of Israel match
Brian Kerr on Virgin Media: “I’ve been in touch with [Gavin Bazunu] this evening, and he’s feeling quite low, and shunned by some of the players and by the FAI… (🧵)
Kerr ctd.: “It’s been suggested to him that it’d be better if he leaves the squad, which I think is disgraceful because they’ve a match against Austria to play, and why shouldn’t he be involved in that game?”
Shameful. The players and the manager have been thrown under the bus by the spineless FAI. Gavin Bazunu with the only response that should be expected from an Irishman. The only one that can hold his head high in this whole debacle.
Thank goodness for for Brian Kerr keeping an eye on Gavin
Well, I hate this team now. Gavin Bazuno is a hero and I need to know the name of the scumbag who abused him.
So they’re angry at Gavin Bazunu because they think he makes them look bad. Yeah he does make you look bad lads, because he’s on the right side of history and you’re a bunch of craven cowards.
Superb reporting, Gav, we rely on you and you repay us.
🧵 Read Gav’s short thread. If what Brian Kerr says is accurate, and it rings true, we are into a new and worse phase.
I hope they cop on. He is doing the right thing and even if they dont agree with him they should still behave like grown ups
Oh the plot thickens! This is bloody disgraceful how Bazunu has been treated. #StopTheGame
Real talk, fuck every single one of his teammates who have hung him out to dry, in particular any who participate in the LOI, they should be shunned by their clubs and fans. Spineless scum.
If history shows us anything, it's that those who stand up to be counted have to stand up because there's a system that is being upheld by complicity, faux civility, & cowardice, & it always contains the majority. They shunned Mary Manning & the Dunnes Stores workers too. Gavin Bazunu is a hero.
Thread Interested to find out who the bully within the squad is. I’ve my own thoughts on that
Fuck the players in question, but more so the FAI. Shameless cowards.
Bazunu absolutely hung out to dry. It's a disgrace. Playing the game is a disgrace. We've completely fucked it
This is awful and pure chaos
Bazunu aside, looks like the Ireland team have managed to turn an open goal into an own goal. What a fucking shower.
Courage in action ➡️ Ireland goalkeeper Gavin Buzunu issues a statement on his decision to withdraw from Ireland squad for tomorrow's match against Israel: "My decision is based purely upon my personal belief that the killing of innocent people is wrong." www.independent.ie/sport/soccer...
It is actually fairly shameful that his teammates were confronted with this concrete example of principle and yet chose to betray it and him anyway.
idk, I feel like if this were my teammate and he said this mattered to him I'd have also withdrawn from the match.
Bra. Alle andre i Irland sin tropp bør følgje etter.
I’m so proud of Gavin Bazunu. He’s provided a yardstick for courage that his so-called teammates will eternally be judged as failing to live up to
Somewhere between 7 and 9 of his squadmates supposedly voted against playing the match. I'm a glutton for punishment, so I'm just going to hope that some of them, having slept on it, realise they should follow Gavin out of the squad in the morning.
I'm kinda shocked more of them didn't go with him.