Justin Verlander exits mound for final MLB start, embraced by daughter
My goodness, what an incredible moment. After Justin Verlander secured the final out of his career, Tigers manager A.J. Hinch came out of the dugout...to summon Verlander's daughter out to embrace her dad on the mound.
I'm not crying you're crying
When he takes his daughters hand and they walk off the field together❤️❤️
Real men can cry. What a beautiful moment.
Notice the umpire's salute at 1:39.
Hinch should have allowed her at least face the miminum before removing her.
How can you not be romantic about baseball
Crying in baseball, sometimes, is completely warranted.
Something I learned coaching little league for a couple of years: there’s actually an enormous amount of crying in baseball. The hard is what makes it great.
I'm not crying, you're crying 😭 The manager detouring from his approached to the mount. Watching his daughter sprint onto the field to hug him. One of the best to do it, retiring in the jersey that made him one of the greats. Got to see him pitch on his brief stop with the Giants.
I wonder if I can my girls to do this after I press send in my last blog post
Your Daily Dose Of Humanity... ⚾
How can you not be romantic about baseball ;_______;
There’s a good America out there for us to find.
How can you not be romantic about baseball
This is simply the most sentimental (complimentary) sport in the world.
❤️❤️❤️ And that is why I still love baseball!
Future Hall of Famer Justin Verlander leaves the field for the last time.
Verlander was a unicorn who actually had two peaks: 2009-12 with Detroit and 2018-22 with Houston. Nobody has *two* peaks a decade apart.
His daughter came to get him. What a moment 😭
I'm watching this game at the moment. Emotional about it. Diehard #Verlander fan.
Well done, sir. What a career.
Him having to wait 5 years for the HOF is nuts.
He’s going home and will be with Kate Upton. Not feeling all that bad for the guy.
Thank you, Justin Verlander 🧡 JV leaves the mound for the Tigers - one final time.
Genevieve Verlander for the win today. The sweetest moments of her Dad and her hugging! JV pitched like a mega All-Star today.
Poor guy now has a 5 year wait to waltz into the Hall of Fame while spending time with his kids and wife, Kate Upton
Went out just like he came in… Pitching well and not getting an ounce of offensive support.
Sometimes, just sometimes, there is crying in baseball.
C'mon daddy. Let's go home. Damn.
Still wish things worked out better with his @mets.com stint, but always wish nothing but the best for him! Always seemed to be a standup guy who went out of his way to connect with fans.
The greatest thing on the internet today
Jason Benetti naturally let the moment do the talking.
I love everything about this.
#Astros to take him out of the game, Justin Verlander's daughter came out to the mound, then his wife and baby son greeted them by the dugout. What an amazing way for Justin to go out on his last game. Thanks for the memories Justin
The daughter running out ❤️
The way he smiled and instantly started crying when he saw his daughter running to him had me SOBBING
There can definitely be crying in baseball.
Through teary eyes, one last time; “Fuck you Verlander, fuck you”
The absolute best of baseball.
Hate this guy so much (complementary).
Me: What a cool day. No chance I’m gonna cry at this though. AJ Hinch: [has Justin Verlander’s daughter come to the mound to make the pitching change that ends his career] oh no
Like, instant 0-to-100 actual crying. The dog came in to see if I was ok. What a way to end it, and what an absolutely perfect transition from “Baseball career” to “Post-baseball life” Sheesh.
Just saw it and I’m in tears
No kidding. Absolutely instantaneous. What a moment.
Justin Verlander: I want a final start and a few retirement celebrations with my family and my teammates wearing silly tshirts of my insta pics then everyone cries Max Scherzer: you will drag my lifeless body off the mound after I’ve bitten the manager & punched the pitching coach
Everyone will need tetanus and rabies treatment afterwards
I want him to resign to get one more strike out than Verlander next year and then just nope out after.
And Mad Max pays so much attention when he's not pitching. He's locked in all the time and I love him.
AND WE NEED THAT, MAD MAX!
one of these guys is raising his kids right 🔵 🟤
your three candidates for the title of Greatest Pitcher Since Prime Pedro Martinez: 1. Justin Verlander (2017 Astro) 2. Clayton Kershaw (”it’s Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve”) 3. Max Scherzer (see below) oof
The last time Justin Verlander comes off the mound. Notice how Laz Diaz doesn't check his glove for pine tar. Just going to say interesting
Haven't seen a woman running make it all the way to the mound during a game like that since Morganna
They said on the telecast Diaz was behind the plate for 8 Verlander starts. I think I saw him shaking Verlander's hand afer an earlier inning. Both are retiring, so respect both ways.
What is this wet salty discharge on my face? Also, Diaz not doing his job is entirely in character. Kudos to him for not breaking during this special moment.
If they sent my daughter out to the mound when I was lifted from my final game, she would totally roast me. "Not your day today, meat," she'd sneer, demanding the ball.
"there's a g-g-GIRL on the baseball diamond!" -- 1/3 of youtube
Omg I have no idea who this is, or what his stats were, but I'm still weepy over this.
Having a daughter about that age, you bet your ass I’ve got some tears in my eyes.
How can you not be romantic about baseball?
Between Howie Rose last week and this here today, a lot of me bawling over Mets legends.
One of the best to ever do it. What a send-off.
This video told me that I'm old.
Tearing up a bit I Fear. One of the few major “You Are An Adult Now And Not A Child” moments for me tbh
Wrote about Justin Verlander as not just a Hall of Famer, but an inner circle starter. He's been a combination of longevity and peak dominance that is rare in MLB history, never mind the modern game.
Within I linked out to a story I wrote four years ago about Verlander having one of the greatest old man seasons for a starter ever. The dude has been magical for ages now.
Only 266 wins. Pitched for lots of bad teams in Detroit so he gets a pass on that metric. 266 might be the highest we ever seen in the game again. Think about that. 266 being the new benchmark and no one who is active has a realistic shot of reaching that.
I’ll always have a special place in my heart for how he crushed the Yankees like twigs in 2017
It's such a slam dunk that It's almost a little insulting to put his name next to the word case. (All love, bro. No insult intended)