Control: Resonant adds Photo Mode and New Game Plus Plus next month
Have I played “Control Resonant”? Sorry…I’m too busy reading the story of a man who “Controls Rocinante”…that’s right, Miguel Cervantes’ immortal tale “Don Quixote de La Mancha”. So you enjoy your strange “Federal Bureau”…I’ll be delighting in the adventures of Sancho Panza and his “Friendly Burro”
The only “Faden” in this book is the titular Don’s “fadin’” sanity!!
Remedy Entertainment? Yes, that IS how I would describe curling up with a literary classic.
Truly never know what posts of mine are gonna pop off with you all
she can’t keep getting away with it
I, um, actually thought "controls Rocinante" meant James Holden from The Expanse there for a moment, so I will now quietly go in a corner and hide my nerdy self . . .
That's right, Don Quixote from hit video game Limbus Company
I don’t really have any interest in Wolverine but while playing CONTROL Resonant I couldn’t stop thinking about the discourse over “hand holding” in modern games. CR wants you to actively explore and find quests organically which I had no problem doing because I was rewarded almost every time.
While games like Wolverine are hurriedly moving you from point to point with indicators everywhere. I know there is the issue of gamers being lazy these days (see: yellow paint) but I really hope studios see the conversation around Wolverine and scale it back a bit.
It is kinda funny how almost every side quest starts with "Zoe? I found another dead body" spoken like a child to their mom after they threw up
Almost like there's a whole design language that's been developed over decades to subtly guide players using light and set design.
also the traversal in control is really fucking fun (what do you mean you can double jump and levitate 15 min into the game lol) I unlocked the wall running before bed and its triggering my metroidvania "go back to older areas and explore before doing more story" mentality lol
The billboards shouting “Nothing’s more american than gasoline” Yeah they got our ass
A video game should never feel like a chore or busywork. Its a game. Devs should stop trying to put more stuff in the game and just commit to a vision. Don't be ubisoft.
I am aware of the latest Wolverine patch that addresses a lot of this, which is awesome. Unfortunately, that game was released at the worst possible time and in the worst possible state so it became the poster child for this conversation.
I’ve met weirdest people, found the coolest puzzles just organically - and no damn Dylan talking to himself or Zoe constantly to annoy me. The peace and quiet 😌😌😌 - barring the Hiss’ haunting sounds
I loved all the little details in Control Resonant, and I especially loved sifting through the menus and discovering a hidden love story, so I wrote about it. Gift link~ www.theverge.com/games/100081...
I put the word "love" in this post too many times but I really do love a lil love story
I love this so much and had fully missed it (was not looking at the enemy logs), so thank you for this 🙏
I haven't gotten to the game yet, but now I know to do this, so thank you! Hope you're doing well 🍻
The level design in Control Resonant is so very deliberate that you can only use special traversal abilities only when they let you. It's almost cute and overbearing how they make sure we're not going where we're not supposed to, like worried parents baby-proofing the furniture.
I've actually found some routes around if your search or are creative. However, they're hard to find or you have to be willing to take a little damage. Then opening the shortcuts are easy.
"I'm afraid the wall here between you and your target is juuuuust a couple of metres too high for you to sail over. Tragic, I guess you'll have to go through the loading screen hallway first. Who could have predicted this??"
The other thing is I think it'd just be too easy to like, avoid any obstacles otherwise
It is so interesting to see my thoughts on Control summed up here and seeing the comments go full 50/50 in either direction agreeing that the combat is too simple or that I'm not appreciating the way it's supposed to work or that my expectations are out of whack. www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsQo...
At some point there's just absolutely no opinion overlap for a lot of folks and I think that's fascinating. One of the things folks pointed out is that different weapons might have made me feel differently, and maybe that's true, but then why does the game lock you to your attacks without a respec?
I'm very nearly done with the game and am absolutely besotted with it personally. I understand your position, but theres some particularly stunning level designs later on that i recommend you at least take a look at footage of, Remedy really went above and beyond on the complexity
Uh, Control Resonant will happily lock you into a mission with Skull Because They're Too Hard enemies. Which if you're good you can actually fight. Neat! Until you hit the boss that's a broken bullet sponge And too high level for you. Like I'm glad there's Invuln mode I can turn on but. Wtf, game.
There's no way to tell if a mission is too hard until you're like, in it, and that's the one the guy literally yells at you to go do so like Game, what do you want from me, here
Remedy has long had an issue with great writing, compelling characters, and gameplay that ranges from ok to frustrating
Stat upgrades, weapon upgrades, and new combat skill unlocks are only accessible from the Fable 3-style not-pause menu by holding down on the D-pad. One window I almost missed after a dialogue also said new traversal abilities are unlocked through character-specific quests.
Every upgrade you purchase in the skill trees levels you up, is it possible you're banking a bunch of points that you should be spending?