Doctor Who production tender draws outside bids ahead of Oct 2 deadline
Britain being unable to make Doctor Who and the U.S. being unable to make more Muppet Show feels like the same problem
Too much required gravitas in our entertainment nowadays. No room for whimsy.
Muppet Doctor Who! Each season a different Muppet plays the Doctor, Fozzie, Janice, Gonzo, etc.
The original Muppet Show was actually made in Britain, too.
Once I trick the BBC into letting me make Doctor Who I'm just gonna make Time Cheers and have the Tardis be a silly bar where historical figures and future guys and monsters walk in and do little comedy bits and even though there's only one set the budget is unchanged I simply pocket the rest
this show is going to be cash flow postive: i will play doctor who, it's mostly gonna be filmed on my phone, one of the companions is a sock puppet, the doctor will read the names of patreon backers on tv, a couple of episodes are just camcorder footage of the bill and ted show at universal studios
this is one of the shows on Blippo+
A good Callahan's Crosstime Saloon series would slap if done well
That's how they con you, if the budget remains unchanged this will be the most expensive Doctor Who episode in history!
"Dear producers, it's a-me, the Spaceshipper. I think the best way to ensure that Doctor Who remains relevant, surprising, daring, and inspiring—for both longtime fans and new viewers—is to replace all the characters with spaceships. I look forward to receiving your financial proposals."
Finally, an idea that would make me remotely interested in Dr Who! I support this motion!
I wonder if @straczynski.bsky.social is going to enter the ring?
I see your point, but please also include some
What about simply producing each years 12 episodes with a double feature Christmas special ? I know, bold ideas.
Pitch for Doctor Who: we do Doctor Who, but, okay and here is the point of difference... we do it with good writing.
But seriously I would go back to a more gothic horror tone. I would make the Tardis more a dusty archive of Who's adventures, with cosy nooks and bats... like the Movie version (one thing they did really well). Go for 3 to 6 episodes per story so you can get some real meat onto those bones.
Is that even allowed? Is it even Dr. Who if sentient plastic isn't trying to take over the world with *checks notes* mannequins?
Give me Doctor Joanna Lumley already.
I mean, DW has always had a pulpy quality to the writing; but it was done in such a way that it was still fun to watch, and get glued to. That said: Rose Tyler Davies just...devolved it into...whatever the hell that was on D+. I think the only way I'd come back to it is if JMS was brought on.
What if we let Doctor Who lie and bring back Torchwood instead
my pitch for doctor who is that the doctor who should be called doctor who
also the daleks have disturbingly human legs now
I think each episode should be "The Doctor Who [verb]" The Doctor Who Farts The Doctor Who Bought an iPod The Doctor Who Is Not Complicit
In this case o think ALL timelords should use this rule. The master will be Master Why
Shower thought: I’d probably actually be VERY OKAY with the Leverage team pitching to take on Doctor Who. They work on a strict budget, including effects/fight scenes, the characterization, writing and directing is TIGHT. Plus: Gina Bellman as the Doctor. Let’s go steal a TARDIS?
(Also, I am very much here for Christian Kane punching Daleks)
I would too. I also feel like they understand the whimsy yet serious tone that Dr Who is good at using without being overly preachy (see Whittaker era). I suppose it could be too close to the Librarians in premise, but as I love the Librarians, I wouldn't mind at all.
I haven’t watched either of the Leverage series, but I’ve recently been enjoying the Librarians. I think they definitely have the right sensibility.