Skip to content

Obama urges Democrats to make A.I. oversight a central priority

politicsSep 13, 2026563,233

At a private fundraiser, former president Barack Obama warned that advanced artificial intelligence could be "dangerous" if not managed urgently and urged Democrats to make A.I. oversight a central priority, the New York Times reported. Obama told House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries to assemble a clear framework for a public conversation about A.I. policy should Democrats win back the House. His remarks follow stark warnings from researchers at Anthropic and public calls from industry leaders for a slowdown and stronger guardrails. Republicans in Congress have been resistant: Speaker Mike Johnson has pushed back on aggressive oversight and previously ended a bipartisan A.I. task force, critics note. Several Democratic figures and commentators are calling for concrete measures, privacy protections, independent testing, transparency, and legal accountability, as the party considers making A.I. regulation a core campaign and legislative issue. The immediate consequence is pressure on Democratic leaders to produce a legislative and public-policy plan on A.I. before the 2028 campaign season and potential House majority shift.

Jon Cooper
@joncooper-us.bsky.social

Barack Obama is urging Democrats — including 2028 presidential candidates and congressional leaders — to more aggressively focus on a comprehensive AI agenda. "This is something that is moving very fast in private hands, and if we don't get on top of it, I think can be dangerous,” he warned.

87926d ago
Carl Quintanilla
@carlquintanilla.bsky.social

“.. Obama urged House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries, Democrat of New York, to assemble a clear framework for a public conversation about A.I. policy, should Democrats win back the House ..” @nytimes.com www.nytimes.com/2026/09/13/u...

80926d ago
Quoting this
Alondra Nelson177

“He also suggested that candidates running for president in 2028 ought to make A.I. one of their ‘central agendas’ and ‘have a very clear plan’ for responding to safety and economic concerns around the technology.”

Mark Copelovitch93

Sure this matters, but actually countering the unprecedented corruption & ending the lawless authoritarianism must be at the center of the Democratic agenda, & I continue to find maddening the ways in which Obama chooses to re-insert himself into the National Conversation™️ bsky.app/profile/mcop...

April Wolfe66

Hey you guys is it bad if the presumed leader of the house has to be begged to lead?

Atrios52

obviously obama's brain his been warped by spending time in the bluesky bubble

Daniel Gilmore29

An important issue? Sure. Center of the agenda? Come on, man.

Justin Joque10

Nothing strikes fear into the hearts of one's political enemies like threatening upon taking back power to "assemble a clear framework for a public conversation" about a largely non-partisan issue

Truekook⁷ ⊙⊝⊜8

I for one would like to see a clear framework for a public conversation about a whole lot of things should Democrats win back the house. Better yet, I don't know, maybe a plan on what they're going to do because I haven't seen one. Just soundbites, gotchas, and vibes.

Bob Kopp5

This public conversation should start by educating the public about the difference between frontier Large Language Models and everything else being bundled as “AI”, and not buying into the marketing jargon that identifies all “AI” with energy-guzzling media synthesis.

Maxine Kaplan2

Hey remember how Obama was a once-in-a-generation political talent whose trajectory is one every single democratic operative has fruitlessly tried to replicate for 20 years? Maybe they should listen to the guy.

Aaron Rupar
@atrupar.com

Mike Johnson punts on oversight of AI companies: "Congress is obviously less qualified than the people who are pushing this frontier to know the ins and outs of it"

56526d ago
Quoting this
Mark Jacob138

I'm just the little old speaker of the House. My poor brain can't process issues like AI, says Republican seat warmer Mike Johnson.

Gare Davis28

Mike Johnson doesn’t want to regulate AI

Joe Stieb26

"Let ambition counteract ambition" doesn't work if you are dealing with a human noodle.

Joe Stieb16

To be fair he was voted "Most Likely to Dissolve the Legislative Branch" at LSU Law.

Jonathan Larsen14

Imagine using an admission of oversight incompetence and failure as an excuse for not doing oversight. If you’re not qualified and didn’t hire anyone who is, step aside. And by aside I mean down.

TrumpsTaxes13

What a lame and pathetic excuse. This is precisely why we need to elect new, young and tough Democrats like Cait Conley - here in my home district of #NY17 - because they have the knowledge, experience and qualifications to conduct oversight of AI companies. @caitfornewyork.bsky.social

Lucie🐈‍⬛Catnip 7

And how did the world end up with out of control global warming? Because companies like Exxon, the qualified experts, knew about the dangers and hid the truth for decade$.

John Bolton's Mustache6

Our robot overlords will most likely build a Mike Johnson statue in honor of this.

Mi nombre es Teo6

This is true for every complex policy. Literally pick a policy area from health care to energy to telecom to infrastructure to you name it the people doing the work are more qualified than Congress. If you’re in Congress and this is your honest answer you shouldn’t be in Congress.

🦋MOM🦋5

EDUCATE YOURSELVES. IT’S YOUR JOB.

1 source