World Suicide Prevention Day, theme 'Changing the Narrative on Suicide'
on the occasion of world suicide prevention day i just wanted to say that if it helps you can imagine your suicidal ideation as a weird little guy in your brain who lies to you and then you can imagine jack reacher is also up there beating the shit out of him
shut the fuck up, weird little guy!! crush him, reacher
sorry i started imagining jack reacher and forgot the rest
I also find it helps to remind myself that David Tennant exists.
Why did I pay for 18 months of therapy when I could have just read this…
look i get your point but if we've learned one thing this season it's "Reacher is good at many things but preventing suicide is not one of them"
My therapist also suggests this technique
My one weird trick for suicidal ideation is that it can’t tell me to kill myself while I’m singing All Star by Smash Mouth
This literally works, if you can't get Reacher up there another option is simply saying "shut up bitch"
I named my negative self-talk demon Kyle and I would love Reacher to crumple Kyle like an empty Modelo can.
the thing about suicidal ideation is they don’t stream reacher in hell. you gotta live
My suicidal ideation is absolutely a weird little guy who lies to me all the time, and figuring that out has helped me more than anything else besides lexapro.
putting this one up in the first spot it's replacing "your friend knows the funeral song you hate and threatens you with playing it" which has been effective
my tactic that has been successfully serving me for years now is hearing that little voice in my head and going "yeah alright bud youve been saying this since i was ten" and now i just cannot really take it seriously anymore
This made my neurodivergent kid who has struggled with suicidal ideation for years smile and nod in agreement. Reacher can save us all.
also there's a thing i read a while back: it doesn't really matter what stupid reason you pick for not listening, just as long as you pick something that serves the purpose for years for me it was like "nah i can't do that shit right now, i have to cook supper." seems inane, but hey i'm here still
I go with the demon dialogues by Lucy Bellwood method. Of thinking of my anxiety demon as another part of me that is terrified. And acting out. And that helps me. But the reacher method is good too.
Today is World Suicide Prevention Day. To anyone fighting a battle they don't talk about: your life matters, your pain matters, and the world is truly better with you in it. Reach out to someone, if you need to. 🙏💙✨
I inexplicably started today thinking about someone I casually knew who committed suicide. My last conversation with her still haunts me occasionally. It was the first time I understood how isolated she felt because I didn’t know her that well. I wish I’d known enough to push past that awkwardness.
Reach out to friends, family, colleagues, people that are trusted. Don't reach out to the authorities, they will not help.
I’m a “left behind” of suicide. She killed herself in Sept 2003. I burst out in tears last week at a new shrink. First time in 20 years. It’s not got better. Being a “left behind” of suicide hurts. The worst fucking club to belong to on Earth.
Every day should be World Suicide Prevention Day
life's kinda too good to give up on, no matter what or who you are. there's always at least one thing that's worth holding on to. we all die in the end anyway, so live while you can
I spent years volunteering evenings on a distress line, and fortunately have talked around a dozen people out of doing anything stupid. While I could only finish calls reassured that they wouldn’t do anything that night, have heard those voices in public places over the years to know I helped. 1/
As someone who has these thoughts *a lot*, don't fret on making a huge gesture. A simple "How are you?" can turn a bad day into a good one. Being remembered is more than enough, even if its only for a few minutes.
I tried a couple of times to commit suicide i thought there was no hope, talking to someone really helped me it brought me back from the brink and for the first time in a long time i genuinely looked forward to the future. Friend, family, Samaritans whoever it is, talk to someone you are worth it.
When we talk suicidal ideation, it’s important we lean on each other. I’ve often struggled with SI in my life; I’m not sure I’ll ever really believe that my presence here matters. But I believe YOURS DOES - with all my heart. So I’ll see you, and you see me…and we’ll keep reminding each other. 💚
Thank You to all those who help when needed. Don't forget those who will never tell because no one listens
for those of us who don't have someone to reach out to, please try my effective-in-the-moment solution: 1. Ask yourself who will have to find you & clean you up. 2. Put yourself in their shoes. Empathize with that experience. 3. You now feel too guilty to act on the urge today. 4. Repeat tomorrow.
Oh hey. I guess my earlier post was somewhat timely. Didn’t know that
it's world suicide prevention day. My dog saved my life in 2018. I was in a really dark place & the only thing that kept me from making an actual plan was the realization that my dog loved me more than anyone else and he would never understand if Mama never came home. I couldn't do that to him.
So I didn't make a plan, not a serious one, and I hung in there and things got better and now I have this tattoo as a reminder that it does get better. The ink is about 8 years old now and it's definitely blurred considerably, but I still love it.
I lost my parents 2 days apart last month. Both unexpected. I am in a very dark place but I have these two and we’ll be okay. I wish you nothing but the best.
Dogs are the best of us and I am so glad yours saved you!
My kitten kept me here. I was in a horrible dark place, had a plan and a time. And my kitten became clingy and wouldn’t let go. I realized he would go back to the pound and I couldn’t do that to him. I owe that tiny kitten a debt of gratitude.
Glad you decided to stick around.🙂
For six months, I got out of bed because the cats needed to eat. The dog needs to be walked. One foot in front of the other. ❤️❤️
The Prince and Princess of Wales are visiting Everton’s Hill Dickinson Stadium to mark World Suicide Prevention Day www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpo...
Wait, so these are the same people who threw Meghan Markle to the wolves and refused to protect her, driving her to thoughts of suicide…
For a monach of one of the largest and cruelest empires on earth, that is a wild move.
There's be fewer suicides in America if people had MORE MONEY, so they could afford housing, food, utilities, and medical care. It's desperation that drives people to that solution.
I'm a Welsh/Irish/Scottish American. Big Brother and his wife should demand that Little Brother and wife, Megan, be offered official duties. To not do it sends an awful message to the world really. You'd think the King's second wife would be the most fervent about it too.
The girl his uncle raped committed suicide.
That’ll be the English Prince and Princess of Wales, foisted on us, with no consultation. #therepublicofwales #yescymru 🏴 #indyref2 🏴 #abolishthemonarchy #notmyking
Didn’t they yuckle, chuckle and scoff when Meghan said she was suicidal? 🤔
“One thought, where might one find an example of people who show great endurance through community support? And one’s junior assistant said, how ‘bout them long-suffering toffees? WOOO!””
Today is World Suicide Prevention Day. Our mental health is so important – everyone should be able to access the support they need, whenever they need it. You are never alone. Get help and learn how to help a friend in need:
Gosh, if only we had healthcare.
We will all feel better when a certain orange turd is gone. Fact.
wild posting this kind of shade on this particular day
One thing Congress can do is improve the healthcare that people who are on disability for mental health problems receive so that actually disabled people who are on disability for actual mental health issues can actually see real psychologists, instead of just social workers, with their insurance.
Universal healthcare would solve this problem, Senator. Get on board or get out of the way.
they tell you to write in your journal, call 988, splash water on your face & take deadly drugs.. WHEN YOU NEED ACTUAL ***HELP***! FUCK YOU LIARS.
I wrote something very personal and vulnerable about World Suicide Prevention Day on my Substack, and my experience with suicidal thoughts I decided that, however scary it feels writing it, if it helps one person it's worth it a million times over nadinebh.substack.com/p/its-world-...
‘Suicidal thoughts are part of the human condition for many of us, which means together we can fight them.’ nadinebh.substack.com/p/its-world-...
This is the 1st thing I saw this morning, On World Suicide Day. Mornings are the worst for me. Its when I grieve my sister and my only nephew the worst. I've lost them to suicide. I hardly survived. You are so brave for saying this. I am so proud of you. Tomorrow needs you.. Today, I did too 💛
Thank you for writing this. I have intrusive suicidal ideation as part of my bipolar affective disorder. They've got the better of me on several occasions since I was 17 Part of the CBT that got me off Lithium in my 30s was learning to believe that they will pass, that better days have come after.
Thank you for this. Passive ideation has become a ‘normal’ part of being stressed for me, but recently felt less passive and scared the hell out of me. Speaking to my wife is thankfully easy but it took me a couple of weeks to tell my parents. It always feels like passing on a burden.
“carrying a bag of bricks” - yep, that's exactly how it feels. When I'm handed that bag I'm proactive and will tell someone and say “I won't be doing it today so don't worry” then work out why I'm lugging a wall around. Much love to you, Nadine, and here's to living 🥂 ❤️
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, as someone who has lost 3 very good friends to suicide it helps me understand what they were feeling, as I'm sure many of us do, I struggled with the why and how I could've been more aware of what was really going on in their hearts and minds.
I've danced with depression and intermittent suicidal ideation for as long as I can remember. I was put in a 72 hr time out at the nut hut once, and no one spoke about it afterwards because it's uncomfortable. If you're struggling, please call 9-8-8. You're not alone. 💜
Very beautiful piece of writing. Echoes my own experience in many ways - I lived with 'the shadow' looming over me for so long. Never coming extremely close, but always there, and it warped my life in so many ways. Extremely grateful to have (mostly) managed to leave the shadow behind, for now.
We really do. I have had Passive Suicidal Ideation since I was 12 years old. Well...Usually passive. I have acted on it twice. The second time this last year after receiving some news that changed most of my future plans. Tipped me over to a bad place. Thisclose. It's good to be able to talk.
I've been truly touched and moved by the response to this piece. Thank you to each and every one of you for your kind words, and I'm glad its resonated with so many and helped so many understand the issue more - or feel seen ❤️ #WorldSuicidePreventionDay #WSPD
I try to keep things light on here. Nadine was brave sharing this. A very good friend of mine took his life, just over 6 years ago. We'd talked about his struggles with ADHD, but I never knew he was wrestling with something like this. I wish he had felt like he could've spoken to someone.
I'm old enough and wise (wiser?) enough to know how important it is to talk about mental health. I was close to suicide twice in my own life. There is such a feeling of helplessness and loneliness that gets us to that point. Connection can be the key to saving lives. Tell someone. ❤️🩹
Not many people would have the strength to write something like this. I wouldn’t.
Courage isn’t about aggression or muscles. It’s about writing with the honesty of @nadinebh.bsky.social who has done a tremendous good today.
#wspd. In Nederland, bel 113 of de Luistertelefoon.
This. All of this. I’ve lost friends who pulled the eject button, many of whom could have benefited from a non-judgemental ear.
It's World Suicide Prevention Day. I've been there. If you need help, PLEASE reach out and seek help. There's no weakness in that. I'm glad I did. We're grateful you're here. You ain't a burden, you ain't alone. You're valued and loved. It gets better, one day at a time. You got this. You matter.
Don't forget that you may know people going through it & burying their struggles deep. There's so much stigma surrounding mental health issues. Breaking down that wall of stigma is EVERYTHING. Start a conversation. Show folks they matter. Listen to them. You could make a life-changing difference.
This is an important message—thanks for sharing. Having been there and sought help I know how hard it can be to say anything. The impulse is to say that you don't matter, but you do. Nobody can wave their freak flag high in the same way as you.
When you're down there, you're empty. You are at your last moment. For every person, it's one choice between falling into the abyss and clinging on for a little longer. And if you're worried about someone else, you can try to be there to help make it easier to hang on.
For what it's worth, I'm glad you're here. Even if you're just another anonymous account on a random social media site, you're always great to trade jokes with, and a constant source of positivity!
No matter who you are, or what your going though. I’m glad you are here. If you can’t believe in yourself, believe in the me that believes in you. And I believe in you
I'm glad you're here. I've been here. Somedays I veer in and out of here. Please reach out for help. You matter.
Check on your people, you are loved, you are not alone. We have to spread love and open conversation. 🤍
Your brain can malfunction like any other organ. If you need help, there's no shame in reaching out. I've watched family go through this. My grandfather shot himself in the head twice in the '90s and lived through it. War takes your brain apart let alone everyday life. Ask for what you need 💕
I attempted suicide. I got help, meds and support, and came out the other side. It wasn't easy, but well worth it. I love you.
In the US you can call or text 988 anytime to get help.
It’s World Suicide Prevention day.I’ve spent many days in the last 3-4 yrs not wanting to be here due to feeling entirely worthless.I stayed for my daughters.Check in with a friend if they’ve been going thro’ a tough time & if you’re feeling v low please know the world is far better with you in it x
Thank you for being here, you beautiful person x
You have helped me! 🙏🏼 I hope you are able to prioritize joy today. 💜 Thank you for the beauty and intelligence you share.
I’m so glad you stayed, the world is better and more beautiful with you in it 💚🌱🪶 (see you tomorrow 💜)
It's better with you in it too, Emma. Thanks for your posts
So sad to read this.You bring so much joy on here with your beautiful flowers. 🌺💙🌺
Thank you for the joy and wisdom you share.
September 10th is globally significant as World Suicide Prevention Day, an annual observance organized by the International Association for Suicide Prevention and endorsed by the WHO to promote global awareness and action to prevent suicide. Reach out, listen, and seek help 😔
Reach Out, but be prepared for the people you reach out to to be unable or unwilling to help. Listen, without judgment, without having to understand, without having to fix it. We keep our worst thoughts inside. Be someone safe to tell them to. Seek help, but don't expect the government to be there
On #SuicidePreventionDay, let us stop pretending despair happens in a vacuum. Rent, Debt, Job Loss, Wage Loss, Fear of Homelessness, Bullying, Isolation & Denied Mental Healthcare ARE CRUSHING PEOPLE. America leaves too many people behind—then acts shocked by the outcome. #MentalHealth
So I have a World Suicide Prevention Day thought that I want to share, even though its probably going to be a little cringe. But lemme just blurt the whole thing out and if its stupid I could always delete it later
I've written about this a few times, but my dad died by suicide when I was 19. He was deeply mentally ill, struggled with various addictions, and while I obviously love him, the entire experience left some pretty deep scars. It very much shaped what kind of dad I wanted to be, right?
I was 7, my mom, same afflictions as your dad. Thank you for your post and especially for describing the quiet voice in the back of my head as not real and live rent free at my invitation.
The more we speak about suicidal ideation, the less power it has. Which is not to say that it has no power, but that communicating about its existence and possibility opens up a space for connection. May we cultivate life-affirming connections…
I 100% know how you feel man. When I was 16 I was the driver of a vehicle that killed a friend of mine who was a passenger and permanently injured my best friend. Ever since I have battled the thought of ending it but like you am lucky to be self aware of it. It’s scary though.
I have that voice, too. Not too many people around me know it either. I seem “okay.” But it’s there. Thanks for posting this. At least the next time that voice pops up I’ll know I’m not alone.
Thank you for this. It helps. Appreciate you
Thanks for sharing 💕 and I think this can help others. I have decided that now more than ever, we all just need to lean into the cringe because fuck it just be real with each other.
There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t think of offing myself. No matter how seemingly good life is, that voice is still there
Read this. If this is you I want you to know you're not alone it happens to me to.
1/2: Today, on World Suicide Prevention Day, I'm holding one of my best friends close in my heart. Losing him wrecked my world but remembering his life, his laugh, and our friendship keeps his memory alive. #SheShed #EveryLifeMatters #SuicidePreventionMonth #WorldSuicidePreventionDay
2/2 If you or someone you know is struggling: Suicide and Crisis Lifeline (🇺🇸🇨🇦): call/text 988 or chat at 988lifeline.org Crisis Text Line (🇺🇸🇨🇦): text HOME to 741741 The Trevor Project (LGBTQ+): call 866-488-7386 or text START to 678-678 Trans Lifeline: call 877-565-8860 (🇺🇸) or 877-330-6366 (🇨🇦)
I’m sorry for your loss. It is so devastating when someone you love takes their life. My SIL is with your friend 💔 #SheShed #SuicidePreventionMonth #EveryLifeMatters
Our loved ones live on in our memories and hearts. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend, but remembering him as you do honors his spirit. #SheShed
Thinking of you Heather. Suicide is an event you just don’t ever get over.💔🫂
A warm thank you to you Heather for sharing this information 🫂 We need to focus a lot more on mental health ~ too much suffering going on ❤️🩹