Dragon Quest Heroes: Torneko’s Mystery Dungeon Classic HD shadow‑drops on Xbox
If you’ve ever played or enjoyed a Shiren the Wanderer game, or a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game, or any Mystery Dungeon game, really: they all spawned from this—originally a Dragon Quest spinoff that came out in the year following DQ5 in Japan (1993). This is the first time it’s been localized, too!
This was the first MD I finally beat a couple years ago and it really made me appreciate why console roguelikes took hold so much sooner in Japan. Just a ton of smart translations of DQ motifs and mechanics to make the structure approachable and readable despite the genre shift. Really masterful.
I wish I was more into these games, but I really love this exists on a modern system. Gaming has its share of bad news lately, but releases like this are just awesome
First discovered the Shiren magic on DS (still unsure what compelled me to pick it up off the shelf given the NA cover). So excited to check out the originator.
You are just dropping a remaster of Torneko Mystery Dungeon with an English release and an Apothecary Diaries game in there?
I started losing my mind at the DQMWW demo and then got blindsided by Torneko holy shit Nintendo stop putting GRENADES IN YOUR SIZZLE REELS FIRST SKY REMAKE NOW THIS I CAN'T DEAL GRAAAAAH
direct sizzle reels either intolerable mid or unbeatable crazy shit
Legit you're so right, it's how the last ai the somnium files and silksong got announced/reshown and it was WILD
Full Apothecary Diaries trailer is up elsewhere and Maomao: Ace Attorney looks solid.
so this IS the first time torneko 1 (as in like, the game that spawned the entire mystery dungeon franchise) is available in english officially right???? man it really is crazy how they blew right past that lol
yeah Nintendo not putting more hoopla around the game that let them make 7 insanely popular Pokemon spinoffs is crazy work lmao
American Direct editing is always so disrespectful it's unreal
direct announcements can be so brief sometimes i think "is this something that was known prior"
i'm not wild about the hideous HD look for torneko obviously but as long as the gameplay is the same (which might not be a safe assumption) the current fan translation has a game-ruining soft lock bug so this could be a big big deal for people who want to do the bonus dungeon
and also, if they DID change the gameplay... speaking as a torneko SFC lover... it's possible they'll improve that too. the original torneko is REALLY stingy and if you don't get the "win the game" set the monsters outscale you fast, lol
I honestly had no idea the game even existed, so I might have to check out that fan patch regardless of that issue haha. It's always a shame when this happens with those old translations though, hard to maintain both because its old and also new DQ loc is generally consistent