Ocarina of Time remake gets Nov 5, 2026 release date and gameplay in Zelda 40th Direct
As a professional Zelda speedrunner and lifelong fan of the series, many people have been asking me for my take on the Ocarina of Time remake. My opinion on the game is yet undetermined and hinges on one singular point: how they model Bombchu Bowling Alley lady.
for example the OoT3d version is clearly failing to capture ANY of the vibe of the original
It's just gonna be Angelina Jolie from Hackers.
it is of the utmost importance they get her right
Me waiting to see footage of her like I'm waiting for the results of a national election to see if we are cooked or not
I had a huge crush on her as a small child.
To be a professional you need a profession, zelda speedrunning is not an profession
I think the Ocarina of Time remake looks quite nice, honestly..! It reminds me a lot of Jim Henson's fantasy works, like The Dark Crystal I understand it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I personally find it pretty charming and it's exciting to see a Zelda game in so much detail! #zelda
Calling it "Realism" would be a bit of a misnomer, I guess It's very detailed, but it isn't trying to be particularly realistic with its designs! I do understand a lot of the negativity though, between the history of Unreal Engine recreations and OoT's importance, but I think the art style is nice!
No it doesn't look like the Dark Crystal. The dark crystal is whimsical and full of life. The oot remake looks like the Zelda in unreal engine meme. Like the idea that maximum detail is something to strive for.
My dad, a stoic-ass 40 year-old whose favorite Zelda game has been Ocarina since he was a kid, saw the trailer and was completely blown away by how beautiful it looks. People are just so irony-poisoned by Nintendo Hire This Man 'n Focus, M, they can't enjoy a cool thing for what it is!!!
That's a nice way to look at it. I appreciate that film for inspiring the Kyantol, one of my favorite things to come from the Shining series.
hell yea! grass grows, birds fly, and sister? transfem ralsei believers have informed and nuanced opinions about media and art direction
When you put it like that, that makes a lot of sense actually.
FINALLY SOMEONE WHO GETS IT
hello help why is this blowing up i was just tired of people saying it looks like an asset dump unreal engine game after living a lifetime of people complaining every new Zelda game looks like garbage
this makes sense, not my cup of tea but respect
there's been a lot of valid criticisms but i do think people will somewhat come around to this art style, like what's kiiiinda happened with the star fox remake or at least people will be able to see the aspects to it that i like
I really wish they had actually stuck the landing cause its a great idea but the end product just really fails the concept. Reminds me a lot of the Star Fox remake.
What's so concerning about the new Zelda Ocarina of Time Remake... ?
I love people missing the real point of this video and instead quote posting to continue the “I hate it VS I love it” drama. Which is not what this video is about at all, in fact I even mention that at the start. But people don’t listen. Thank you internet, as always, for missing the point.
Had to find this post again, because this is the vibes seeing the characters in these clips gives me.
Saying this as someone who has issues with the art style: I think Nintendo's big remake kick says more about a future-thinking audience shift than anything else. The kids who were inspired by N64 have grown up. Nintendo is saying, "here's the thing you loved as a kid, updated for YOUR kids."
I agree with everything about the state of the industry, but as a chronic jumpaholic, I am pro adding a jump button to every game. When I learned I could jump on a mount or with rotom in pokemon games for the first time, I joyfully screamed. Let my boy leave the ground!
I think people are just too invested in Zelda and the instinct these days is to treat every remake like it's Disney's Lion King which I find kind of increasingly distasteful since it kind of disregards the creative choices of a ton of artists who gave years of their lives to these things
this post, and the thread it's attached to, kinda helped click into place why i feel so weird about the visual style. it doesn't feel like an evolution or reinterpretation of oot's art style, it feels like it's trying to look like A Remake. bsky.app/profile/head...
I’m down, haven’t played it since it came out and it was one of my favourites so I’m looking forward to it. Plus now my child will know the sheer annoyance that is Navi.
Which is part of why the style is so boring to me. It looks like every other triple AAA title, borderline playing it very safe and thus makes the experience more dull and worrying to what will come.
Watch the video and understand where we are right now. Is it good? Is it bad? That does not matter.
I wonder how many of you are literal children who've never even played Ocarina of Time once, so the remake will be your first experience with it.
Sometimes I think about the fact that a person follows me and is completely unaware of the fact that I've been drawing Female Link for like 20 years, so some of my most notable pieces are completely unknown to them. OoT was a lot of people's first game, but maybe that was before YOUR time too?
😎 Heh, **I've** played the original OoT before 😎
No, I don't really like the Zelda: Ocarina of Time remake visuals. It's a good thing though that I don't play video games for how they look. 🤓
I’m worried if the frame rate will be solid with all that glisten.
The backlash itself reminds me of Windwaker. a lot of ppl hated how it looked back than, while for me it was the reason why I bought the cube.
I remember when people went nuts over Wind Waker making Link look like a Powerpuff Girl. I didn't like it either, at first, but the fact that it's the only Zelda game I've ever finished suggests that I must have gotten over it. (And damn was sinking that sword into Ganondorf's skull satisfying.)