Monty Don to Step Down from Gardeners' World After 23 Years
Monty Don has announced he is stepping down as presenter of BBC Gardeners’ World, after 23 years.
We wish him all the very best in whatever comes next, and we will miss seeing him on our screens every Friday evening next year. He's been part of so many of our gardening journeys, and we’d like to thank him for the advice, inspiration and encouragement to get growing.
I have learnt a great deal about plants, the soil, and the seasons from this gentle man. Thank you. 🌱
All the best to Monty for his future adventures, he and Ned will be greatly missed. Personally I hope that Frances and Rua will step into their footprints. 🐾
I will mourn the loss of Monty from our screens, but also Long Meadow, and marking its continual development. Huge boots to fill for the next presenter (and setting!) Thanks Monty and all the best
Thanks to Monty, a true Gentleman, for all his knowledge and guidance. Fridays will not be the same without his gentle and engaging manner and his ability to engage with the audience. Add to that some stunning camera and production work it’s a real pleasure to watch All the best to this great man
It’s really something that with all the terrible things happening everywhere right now, this is by some distance the worst thing I’ve found out on Bluesky
THE END TIMES ARE HERE
Ohhhh, gutted.. Love a bit of Monty. His voice…. is quite nice.
I’ll still be regularly watching all the backlog of episodes to go with the season every year. Thanks for all the hard work, and opening your lovely garden to us, Monty! My gardening king Also my gateway to gardening was another show of his: Big Dreams Small Spaces. High recommend.
This is sad but not unexpected news. I've always liked Monty as much for his willingness to express his dislikes and personal taste , too much gardening TV can "hello trees & hello flowers" discernment and passion & rarer. + his expression of joy at nature are richer tempered with his MH struggles.
Official confirmation. End of an era.
Who now will give us our jobs for the weekend?
There are bigger things going on but this sucks too
Time to dig out (pun intended) @mrjamesob.bsky.social’s Full Disclosure with Monty Resonates a lot with me - although I didn’t go to Cambridge Uni www.bbc.co.uk/news/article...
Friday night... Few beers after work.... Have my grub, then an hour of peace and quiet, watching Monty tell me where im going wrong in my garden.. Good Luck Monty 👍
I'm absolutely gutted he's leaving. But fair enough, over two decades is pretty amazing
Always know when my clients have watched an episode as they give me advice on a profession I’ve been doing for 22years. I listen then do it my way anyway.
He's been great for the programme, but it needs a new personality to host it.
One of my most viral jokes on old Twitter was about Monty Don, I was surprised how famous he was — a genuinely beloved broadcaster
Even on my allotment in Amsterdam… saying “Volgens Monty…” (According to Monty…) adds more credence to garden related answers to questions.
oh no, we love Monty as much as we loved Geoff, Alan was good too. So like Dr Who or Bond, is it time for a non white male to finally present the show or will the lovely Adam get a shot?