Paramount completes acquisition of Warner Bros. Discovery, creating Skydance
Skydance now owns Nick, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Comedy Central, and MTV, effectively ending US TV animation as we know it. Countless jobs will be lost, and fewer new shows will be created. An apocalyptic scenario for cartoons, yet it's maybe the 5th-worst thing about the Paramount-WB merger!
I wish Bugs Bunny were real and could use a cartoon stick of dynamite on certain billionaires in a parodic, satirical way
But surely a monopoly owning american television will have a positive impact on the industry! 🙃
Coyote vs Acme got released just in time.
Nick, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Comedy Central, and MTV all under one roof? That is the end of an era, and I'm glad someone noticed it before the rest of us did.
“David Zazlav is terrible for animation. I wish we had someone else in charge.”
My big fear is they'll just let even the OG WB cartoons and films crumble to dust because these fuckers know the cost of everything and the value of nothing
you may have noticed that animation has never been more in-demand & in the zeitgeist and yet, seemingly, never have media conglomerates been less willing to produce it. you may also notice these guys get multimillion dollar severance packages after they gut a studio. there is probably no connection
And unfortunately, as others have noted, indie animation is great but can't address this. Indie productions by their very nature cannot employ all the people who are struggling in the wake of these mergers. It'd be nice if somebody with many truckloads of money tried to fill that void, I guess.
They fucked the cartoon I was a lead on 7 years ago, and now they have the ability to fuck at levels heretofore unseen. AINT CAPITALISM GREAT???
i think abt watching like late night liquid television, seeing like aeon flux, & how visually striking it was to the tune of me running out and nabbing burne hogarth books to try and learn to draw like that, & sadly so few ppl will stand to get happenstance-inspired like that now, almost by design
This is the one time I’m going to be defeatist about this, because what they’ve done is further destroyed the traditional process of pitching and production of a show even further by being one of the Only Places In Town.
Colonialism in a nutshell. This is what it looks like when colonialism rots every aspect of life.
cartoons are dead, time for the rebirth. Come on you phoenixing son of a bitch, i want to make cartoons!!
Cartoon Network/ Adult Swim was my dream industry job if I ever got lucky and/or skilled enough to pursue such a job anywhere or pitch anything tbh. I've already increasingly been of the mindset over the years that shooting for indie groups and projects would be the move but now it's even moreso.
we’re gonna get an influx of The New Norms in 2027-28, each of whoch will psthetically be attempting to stir controversy by having their terrible white boy comedians say they’re against cancel culture and wokeness
Skydance owns none of the Big Five Hollywood animation studios (Disney, Pixar, Sony, Dreamworks, and Illumination) or any of the Georgia based studios where practically all television animation is currently produced. Skydance's own animation studio hasn't made anything you have heard of.
The Skydance CEOs now acknowledge that layoffs will in fact be coming after the Paramount-Warner Bros. Merger, per @variety.com.
...but it's never the bloated C-suite, is it?
1. Buy up all the companies 2. Smoosh 'em together and lay people off 3. ALL HAIL MONOCOMPANY 4. Less places for people to work 5. ??? 6. "You should be grateful we've allowed you to earn minimum wage in this factory building my iPhones."
And subscriptions will still raise in price despite the layoffs.
Great job Rob Bonta, I hope you never have a day's peace for the rest of your life
Ah, the lessons you learn from a Julia Roberts - Richard Gere movie.
Which politicians fell for the lies?
no one saw this coming except for everyone
And so it begins, with thanks to CA electeds who caved to the oligarchs. @gavinnewsom.bsky.social @robbonta.bsky.social @xavierbecerra.bsky.social @mayor.lacity.gov So afraid of threatened job loss they backed 100% guaranteed job loss. 🥀
Be it guillotines or submarines, eat the rich
My thoughts are with my former colleagues from Spike/ Paramount Network/TV Land/CMT, assuming that there are any left after the countless layoffs that came behind the round that got me. The restructuring will continue until morale improves.
Skydance Corporation, the company that newly combined Paramount and Warner Bros., will have an annual revenue of $70 billion, but will now have to wrestle $80 BILLION dollars of debt.
Its partly funded by Saudi money so they wont have a damn thing to worry about. Not a single CEO or exc will lose a dime. Its the artists, actors, and creators who will suffer losses. All this merger has done is make the fake rich actually rich & give those with sinister wants more opportunities
Oh boo hoo, they have debt from all the financial failures they created in the past
I'm looking forward to see how Skydance will solve the debt
Boycott their ass, I want this company to be kicking and screaming as it sinks ever more into debt.
So... who or what do we have to destroy to make their debt worse?
Let's see if they try to deal with their taxes on that!
Even w/the Saudi backing(given the Iran war will get worse) David Ellison won't be available to solve the debt problem especially if he pulls a "Zaslav" and make things worse I will only give people more reason to see this merger collapse.
You know how people say to other people that they gotta face the consequences of their actions, that’s one of em.
please god this could be really funny
Can someone send them a calculator?
Oh, look at that. $80 BILLION dollars (I repeat, $80 BILLION DOLLARS) of crushing debt! I am not a business expert, but looking at this report, this does NOT bode well for this merger at all... I told you this was a bad idea.
Especially knowing that this is what the outcome turned out to be on day one for Dunce Ellison.
Coming soon Skydance+ for 49.99 a month probably
I can't wait to see Skydance try to solve the debt...
Shame on those who let this merger go through
I told you that this is a bad idea.
Warner Bros and Paramount have officially merged. DC Studios, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, CNN, CBS, HBO and Paramount+ are now all under the same company.
I'm giving them a year.
This is a fking disaster.
Well this definitely won’t make things worse for everyone.
Get ready for a big bankruptcy.
The monthly subscription will probably be a mere $99.99 ...with ads.
Okay, I'll stop watching those networks. YouTube has better shit anyway.
Movies are now done, thank you for participating! The good news is that you can go back and watch Burlesque at any time of your choosing.
A ver qué se cuenta John Oliver este domingo.
the very next year probably
*the countdown starts* Let's see how long this'll last.
it might be over 😞
Capitalism breeds innovation through competition :)
no hace falta pagar Paramount+ porque se suma a HBO!!
Media is going to be 10x worse y’all. Cancel this streaming services and get physical copies books, DVDs etc etc.
Goober and Boda Boda Agency have officially merged
This is truly a dark world we live in and it's only going to get darker beyond.
Former Activision CEO Bobby Kotick joins Board of Directors for new Skydance Corp (Paramount-WB merger) ➡️ www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/bus...
Skydance Board of Directors be like
No escape from this prick.
Bobby Kotick friend of the financier? That Bobby Kotick?
You’d think being allegedly associated with Jeffrey Epstein would come with atleast some consequences. Not in modern America I guess.
trading one villain for another.
BREAKING: Guy in Epstein Files Hires Guy in Epstein Files
Let's give him a chance. Maybe he'll do great.
Oh, NOW IT'S GOING TO CRUMBLE INTO DUST.
The US media ecosystem is like if someone were frantically attaching new cars to the back of a rolling trainwreck.
EVERY industry is on the precipice of a crash, dude. These [redacted] are all about to be [redacted] out into the middle of the [redacted] and [redacted] to [redacted] like dogs.
Ellison really out here forming the Axis powers of the entertainment industry, huh
Like puking on a pile of shit
for this and many, many reasons, including some recently independently reported, fuck bobby kotick
didnt disney teach us anything about how monopolys are bad?
The worst executive in contemporary gaming
I don't understand how someone of his history is allowed to do anything of note ever again but I suppose the president is John Pedophile so anything goes anymore
Ah, the whistle of the post-merger layoff train. “Keeping jobs in Hollywood”: oh, please.
who could have seen this coming
Fewer jobs! More slop and customer data farming!
off topic but it never ceases to amaze me the rev has yet to kick off when the rich motherfucker ruling class is chock full of imminently punchable faces.
If nothing else, this should cement in people's minds that Gavin Newsom should never be president on the grounds of either being complicit in media monopolization or walking around on this planet as the world's most gullible fuck.
Great work @agrobbonta.oag.ca.gov no notes. You definitely didn’t get hoisted by your own petard you schmuck!
At this point, do not give any money to any Skydance, Paramount, or Warner Bros production in theaters. Yes, that includes anything Sonic, TMNT, DC, Transformers, Lord of the Rings, anything you'd like to see. Hate to break it to you, but your money supports fascists now if you go see these.
Fascists as well as legit sex pests.
Situations like this is why I get most of my physical media second hand.
Pretty conflicted with that viewpoint. Maybe you’re right. But on the other hand, I just cannot ever pass up a chance to see any kind of anticipated movie in cinema. I would never support fascists though!
a more safer option would be this 🏴☠️
It was sad that I got a pre-order of Coyote vs ACME blu-ray like 1 week ago when Skydance managed to obtained Warner Bros. This might be the last Warner Bros. that I owned.
Well, I'm going to be careful on what movie to choose away from both WB and Paramount from now on.
good thing i dont have paramount....
Also if you defend DIGGER and the TERF wizard shit you are the reason why WB initially was looking to write off Coyote v. ACME for tax.
The only upside to this is if the merger will fail and collapse in on itself. It's very possible though Idk when.