Sam Altman says society must accept some 'bad things' from AI
AI data centers are sucking up water and power. Industry PACs are spending millions to buy our elections. And AI is already being used to facilitate online scams, deny insurance claims, and price-gouge consumers. Sam Altman's response? We should "accept some bad things happening." Hello?
That’s on brand for someone that’s stupid enough to think taking everyone’s job magically doesn’t collapse the entire economy and lead to millions of deaths.
I’m willing to accept all the bad things that happen to him. He made decisions and should have to live with these consequences. But we all know that’s not happening, at least not without a blue wave and willingness to make massive changes.
The quote is real, but “some bad things happen” can’t be the whole policy. If AI companies want broad public trust, they need real guardrails on fraud, pricing, claims decisions and infrastructure costs. The upside doesn’t excuse everything.
We don’t have the infrastructure for what is being proposed and we don’t have the regulations in place to protect us. Also it must operate with the same constitutional restraints that our government must abide by. cbwrong.blogspot.com/2026/10/the-...
Is he standing first in line for the bad things?
As long as he accepts jail time for that. Sure. And every single other person stealing resources from the public then renting it back to the public or completely destorying stable water supplies. There's no reason these "smart" people can't make their datacenters smaller or thermally efficient.
AI drinks your water and eats your brain.
OpenAI’s chief strategy officer will appear at an Australian parliamentary inquiry today. Most of our political class will try to limit this to the recent data breach, but there's a much bigger context to consider... #auspol
Sam Altman can get bent.
Sam Altman and the rest of these billionaires don't give a flying fork about anything on this planet other than protecting their wealth. They've already created a huge mess of everything that will take generations to heal from. #HealOurPlanetTaxBillionaires #VoteBlue #SheShed
The tech equivalent of "Lie back and enjoy it."
Sam Altman: Bad things will have to happen to other people for us to succeed www.politico.com/news/2026/10...
"Some of you may die, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make."
As a compromise, I'm willing to accept bad things happening to Sam Altman
This has been the core principle of capitalism ever since it begin: the many must suffer for the benefit of the wealthy few.
So they're allowed to steal our data to train models that make them rich, AND on top of that we're supposed to accept some pain and suffering as well? Guess I'll just go fuck myself.
@drewharwell.com maybe some bad things need to happen to billionaires and tech ceo's in order to save humanity.
“Hey Sam do the rest of us get a choice in this” “HAHA GOOD ONE! Oh shit you’re serious-“
Naturally, he shouldn't have to accept bad things happening to him, since he's a very important big-brain boy.
Altman is always the one who comes the closest to just coming out and saying ‘look, it’s very important that my company is worth a trillion dollars, and if we have to end life as we know it for that to happen, that’s a sacrifice we should be willing to make.’
I agree, let’s start with billionaires and ceos.
New regulation: Prerequisite for every new model release is a Klingon pain stick session for the CEO.
I spent my teen years trying to learn swears in as many different languages as possible and I still don't have enough swear words to express my feelings about Sam Altman.
I do not want it in my words I do not want it faking birds I do not like it in my mail It really is beyond the pale I do not want it stealing art I not want it whole, or part I do not want your AI spam I hate it, hate it, Sam Altman
I like it! You could call it Green Eggs and Fuck You, Sam.
The trouble with using this reference is... I remember how the book ends. 😄
Well said indeed Andy Clark
If Aaron Swartz was still alive, I'm pretty sure he would have made it his life mission to personally demolish Sam Altman and all that he represents. www.politico.com/news/2026/10...
Ohandanotherthing: Sam Altman is such a perfect example of techno-optimism as it is actually practiced. It's the ideology of incurious plutocrats (and their hangers-on). "Well gee, sure, the effects of my product could be terrible! But we should all just trust that it'll be more good than bad."
The bad stuff is already happening, and he's it.
Sam Altman hoping to sell you on Battlestar Galactica fantasy
Personally I think Battlestar Galactica was not sexy -- except for Starbuck, she was sexy as fuck -- but like I don't want to voluntarily try to sign up for living in it????? Just me????
Hero cover and genius talk for a scam artist in a pub for dummies who think they're smart
That cover is a typeface murder scene
can't spell "gaius baltar" without "ai"
Why does everyone take for granted that Sam Altman is a relevant part of humanity's future?
Viral photo taunts public with urge to push, hard.
JUST IN: OpenAI CEO Sam Altman says the world "should accept some bad things happening" for AI’s benefits. Who gets to decide how much harm society should accept in the name of “progress”?
And someone else’s definition of progress. Theirs is diametrically opposed to mine. Mine doesn’t include the destruction of democracy & wide swaths of society. These libertarian don’t tread on me free market peeps are very focused on forcing this on a market that doesn’t want it.
And who gets to decide how "progress" is defined in the first place?
Why can’t he and the other tech billionaires be the ones bad things happen to for the greater benefits of society? Like paying taxes. Being held legally accountable for the crimes of their AI, and going to prison, etc… 🤷♀️
Or maybe we should just focus in & hold accountable the people who are allowing ‘bad things’ to become reality, because of their insatiable greed…
In the name of Sam's bank balance, no?
I think Sam Altman has a point that every technology has tradeoffs. We’ve decided cars are worth having even though they pollute the air and drunk drivers kill thousands every year. The question is who bears those costs and how responsible are companies for preventing harms caused by their products
Sure, every technology has tradeoffs, but he's asking for permission to violate laws without consequence instead of developing his technology within them. He wants no tradeoffs for him, only tradeoffs for everyone else.
But we DON’T “decide”. Once a technology gets a foothold, the cost of making a different choice can become too great and we’re just stuck with it.
I think the current position, and perhaps what has been the position all along is privatize the profits, externalize the risks/liabilities.
⚠️ Society doesn’t have a great track record here! Using cars as an example, GM invented tetraethyllead to make engines run smoother. They dumped it in the air from the 1920s through the 1970s. They greased legislators’ palms & buried evidence it was harmful. Society is still paying for that, not GM!
Let his company face consequences for their AI Cybercrimes first, talk tradeoffs later.
This argument shows you fundamentally misunderstand the problem with the AI hard sell. The trade-off is only part of the issue. The technology is unproven, and Altman and his ilk are trying to force it upon us at financial gunpoint.
I'm only one question into the Vanity Fair Sam Altman interview and I feel I will die
What is it that the interviewer thinks the watershed moment is? Random agent hacks?
Of course it's a softball interview. I want to throw up and I only read a few sentences of it. He's a sociopath. If people don't know this then I suggest they do a little reading. He's a nasty vile person. Just ask ANYONE WHO HAS EVER WORKED WITH HIM. www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93m...
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman: “We believe the world should accept some bad things happening for the benefits of this technology.” This is a psychotic thing to say. No sane person wants bad things to happen for the benefits of technology. We want good things to happen for humanity. The main problem with
AI has always been that it will be used for nefarious purposes as long as it’s owned and controlled by tech billionaires who are driven purely by greed and profit instead of what is best for humanity. These tech billionaires cannot be trusted with AI. Socialize the means of
No we don’t have to accept bad things Bad People Do Bad Things Here is the Root These are Bad People Who continue to do Bad Things With Power With Money With Technology Reign Them In
“We” believe? Who the fuck is this “We”? Fuck you Altman. Who the fuck are YOU to decide we have to accept some bad things? How about let US decide if You should accept “bad things”?
Billionaire Sam Altman wants us to accept that bad things will happen in return for accepting the benefits of AI. What he means is we should accept that bad things will happen to us, not him, because AI will benefit him, not us. www.theguardian.com/technology/2...
"Accept that we robbed you blind and burned down the planet while making a shittier search engine" is a wild sales pitch but go off, I guess
Easy to say when the bad things are happening to other people
I want to set up a fundraiser to get Sam Altman, Peter Thiel, Musk, Trump, Putin and a bunch of other people and send them to be the first Mars permanent colonisers so they can be there before anyone else and be all cool and everything. And forget to send any follow-up resources, possibly.
How about we start throwing magnets at data centers, I say.