Platforms reject paid ads for Alex Gibney’s 'Musk' documentary
Today I saw the new 4 hour documentary Musk, directed by Alex Gibney. There were too many times to count that a sold out theater burst out laughing at Elon Musk, something he said or did, even sometimes just how he looked. I believe that is his worst nightmare come to life.
I should add that in addition to being much funnier than anticipated--Musk is going to be intensely humiliated by this movie, it's going to attack the deepest wounds he tries so hard to conceal--it is also bone-chilling. I think he gutted USAID with DOGE to kill masses of people in the third world.
This just moved the needle for me, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to spend 4 hours of my life watching this cypher’s life story but if it’s funny… then maybe
The documentary is four hours to commemorate how long his newborn children take to realize they hate him.
Let's make the Musk doc into the next Rocky Horror: a destination event with scripted audience participation that plays in perpetuity in every college town
Musk is a mass murderer, a thief, a fraud. His body count should be front page news all day, every day, until he is brought to justice.
I love this for him
you wouldn't think a film about a Nazi pedophile would do well at the box office but maybe it turns out Musk is illiterate.
chanting lowtax as I pray to whoever will listen that clips of audience reactions make it to his field of view.
The movie is sometimes horribly bleak: it has to be, because Musk has done some terrible things. But he's also a ridiculous figure, and oh boy does it capture that side of things, too.
Dammit. I don't want to watch a four hour movie in a theater, but I might have to because I'd like to add to the number of people he knows are laughing at him in public.
Here’s the trailer (watch it now, in case it, you know, disappears…) youtu.be/FFTf1lzcs28?...
personally I think Taxes should be Low
So it should be mandatory viewing then.
Can we make it a mock him singalong
Never has someone more thoroughly deserved it.
One thing with Musk is that despite his rep as an all powerful genius he is not actually very bright. Just listening to him talk for a few minutes reveals this. Laughing at the stupid things he confidently says is a natural reaction.
This serves as advertisement for Alex Gibney’s documentary, Musk, opening October 9. Pass it on.
You can buy tickets here: bleeckerstreetmedia.com/musk if there is a showing near you.
these billionaire tech boys are so weak. embarrassing 😳
I've read (via Hollywood Reporter) that major social media sites are rejecting _paid_ ads for this. Thanks for the PSA version
Haven’t they heard about the Streisand effect? Don’t go see #Musk 😂😂😂
Grassroots will have to do. bsky.app/profile/heyh...
The bans by the oligarchs platforms guarantee the film will be a huge success. Best possible publicity.
DO NOT see this movie. Elon will be mad if you see this movie. Elon will be EXTREMELY mad if you see it in theaters opening weekend (Oct. 16-18), when ticket sales determine if it's a commercial success or failure.
remember, YouTube is all for taking ads from transphobic hate groups literally preaching about ending trans people over and over again for the past 5 years but this apparently was their limit...
Political content? How does PraegerU then keep getting their advertisements on Youtube?
The cool thing about this is that it will definitely make people less interested in seeing it…
This is the 'free speech' we hear so much about.
Let’s Streisand effect the heck outta this.
“The film social media execs don’t want you to see” feels like a pretty compelling description
Damn would be a shame if that choice made for a bunch of articles that were basically free advertising
It must be really bad for Musk if all his ilk are not accepting ad dollars
Watch it here -- the trailer that Elon, YouTube, TikTok and Meta DON'T WANT YOU TO SEE www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/politic...
Facebook really doesn't want you to see the new documentary exposing Elon Musk Neither do TikTok or Google or the eX social media site. Since they won't accept paid advertising, let's do some free advertising. Go see Musk in theaters October 9 www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/dig...
As of this post, it has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes: www.rottentomatoes.com/m/musk
Imagine how bad this problem would be if right wing oligarchs had taken control of our media.
I really don’t think I can handle a firehose of disgust without a pause button
YouTube has the trailer. m.youtube.com/watch?v=dp5W...
In NYC, it releases on Thursday, 10/8, at Angelika Film Center, and there are Q&As with Alex Gibney and Ashley St. Clair after two of the Friday viewings and two of the Saturday viewings! angelikafilmcenter.com/nyc/movies/d...
So... make sure you don't vote for any of the candidates Musk funds and make sure to see this movie. Got it.
Class solidarity by tech freaks
Streisand the fuck out of this thing
I predict that Musk’s attempt to suppress this film will be every bit as successful as Meta’s attack on Sarah Wynn-Williams’ book. And the many awards judges around the world who care about culture have an opportunity to play their part. Let’s give Big Tech all the recognition it deserves
Will definitely be watching this!
Real talk? Even I won’t be going to sit through the 4-hour Musk documentary and there’s a nonzero chance my tweet about him is in it somewhere
Well this can't be accurate with regard to X. Elon is a free speech absolutist!
"DuurrHUUURRRhhurr, we're the public square and stuff." - social media companies
I don't think I could tolerate having to watch this in a theater. Dunno why it's not just streaming already :\
Meta's platforms have repeatedly been caught running ads for deepfake "nudify" apps that let you virtually undress real people without their consent, but they won't run an a trailer for an upcoming documentary that reflects poorly on Elon Musk. www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/dig...
The two best things you can do are watch the trailer and go to the movie. Here's the trailer:
Let the "Streisand Effect" begin.
Matt Taibbi will be all over this shortly, I would assume.
Mark Zuckerberg runs ads of literal CSAM.
The next documentary should be on Zuckerberg.
Billionaires stick together. Or how we say in german: "Eine Krähe hackt der anderen kein Auge aus", meaning one crow does not pick out the eye of another.
Won't sell you an advertising slot if you might say mean things about Elon Musk. But if you are a Medicare scammer using deep fake celebrities, buy all the ad space you desire!
In Poland, Meta is currently entangled in a very public dispute around ads promoting financial scams, e.g. using likenesses of local celebrities and politicians. I’m sure the news that they can be very effective in moderating paid content, if they want to, will be well received here
Because Zuckerberg and Musk have crimes in common.
The shitty-asshole criminal tech oligarchs are working together to fuck us all over and protect each other's exploitative empires.
Hundreds of people should absolutely use Meta glasses and deepfake nudity apps on Jeff Bezos, Zuck, and Elon Musk. I can’t believe people haven’t already done it.
There are few people on earth as capable as Elon Musk at illustrating godwin’s law.
... Peculiar! Have y'all SEEN Youtube ads lately? They're *skanky*
💥Ok I see other platforms are blocking this. I met Alex Gibney moons ago at ABCNY (the Association of the Bar for the City of New York). He’s the real deal. Here’s the trailer for Alex Gibney’s documentary about Musk. Let’s Streisand Effect this: www.firstshowing.net/2026/must-se... 👋🎥
Chef’s- kiss imagery in the trailer when they get to the “K” in Musk’s name/movie title
I hope people go watch the film! And I hope they see this man for who he really is - absolutely not a visionary, instead he's everything wrong with the world today.
In NYC, it releases on Thurs, 10/8, @ Angelika Film Center, and there are Q&As with Alex Gibney and Ashley St. Clair after 2 of the Friday viewings and 2 of the Saturday viewings! (Bleecker St films, the distributor, should boycott those platforms, too) angelikafilmcenter.com/nyc/movies/d...
I found some recent videos praising Elon on Youtube and posted links to the documentary in the comments. It got advertised on YouTube, anyway.
oddly, Bush never tried to block ads for Enron: Smartest Guys in the Room (Bush was a "close" associate of Ken Lay) & ads were everywhere. I don't recall any attempted suppression when he released Casino Jack (both excellent) which eviscerated lobbyists & the wretched, fd up things done in DC.
Can't wait for this one!
worth a watch of someone who spent $44 billion to buy a social media platform $44 billion folks it’s chump change to him
Dear @alexgibneyfilm.bsky.social, We’re getting the word out. 👇 Please keep making provocative films. 👏🎥 #muskdoc
I too support and appreciate @alexgibneyfilm.bsky.social Take a look at this:
Serán cuatro horas que sorberé con una cañita reciclable en cuanto salga :)
Platforms won't let Gibney buy ads for "Musk." So lets give him lots of free advertising.
The sight of this man and the sound of his voice drives me to distraction, but I will happily watch this.
Last week it was Robert Kraft censoring singers. Today we can watch the Nerd Reich billionaires colluding in real time to censor shit they know makes them look like the evil, moronic douchebags they are. There is nothing they hate more than the truth about themselves. We see all of you.
Did you know RAD or Reactive attachment disorder is caused by severe neglect and abuse of a child. It mimics Autism, so much so that Psychologists will call it autism. Who would want to tell their rich client their kid is fucked up by negligence from a narcissist parent. I heard it from the Doc.
Oh I need to watch this film. I might be more hype for this than Avengers 😂
While Musk has attacked the film as both a “hit piece” and a “psy op,” it’s been critically well-received thus far.
This is needed, while the world's mainstream media treat everything he says as newsworthy, while ignoring his daily online Nazi rants and civil war incitements.
Can't wait for this to come out on October 9th.
The more he attacks it, the truer it is.
He broke the US government with his BS doge.
I’m going to buy advance tickets, I hate this bitch.
Ugh. Now I HAVE to watch it.😂
He's very easy to hit.
To be fair, Nazis and their enablers often feel attacked when you quote them verbatim. Look at what happened after Charlie Kirk got got.
It's tricky: on the one hand, if it makes him angry and sad for people to see it, then I want to see it. But on the other hand, I really don't want to know any more about this prick than I already know.
Bringing back memories of when Trump tried to do this & the end result was people asking why Sebastian Stan doesn't do more serious flicks...
Had no clue this was directed by @alexgibneyfilm.bsky.social It’s gonna be so good
brain eating amoeba not happy about a documentary on brain eating amoebae. 🤷
It opens in select AMC Theatres on October 9, 2026, before expanding nationwide on October 16, 2026. Keep checking your local theater chain for showtimes. Im concerned because my local theaters still aren't offering any showtimes at all. And the Paramount merger could threaten HBO streaming.
#FreeSpeech News Hollywood Reporter reporting that YouTube, TikTok and Meta platforms are refusing to take even paid ads for Alex Gibney's documentary which takes a, let's say, sceptical and questioning view of Elon Musk's career, personality and alleged achievements. "Musk" opens on 9 October.
I don’t need to watch the documentary. I’ve hated the twitchy South African apartheidist ever since he began baseless attacks against NASA and The Mighty Spade Shuttle. I also can’t stand twitchy’s cult of mediocre white male teenaged InCels.
I don't know; maybe it's me, but why in the hell would I pay money to watch this when we are living through the damage he has done and is more than likely planning on doing w/the elections in November? I don't care to understand evil.
The more people find out about this attempted suppression, the more people will want to see it…
This is a prime example of what it looks like when oligarchs that own all the social media apps (not BlueSky) band together to protect one of their own. This is what we can expect when the Ellisons own Paramount and WB, just like the rise of Indie journalism so it will be in the movie business.
Musk immediately kicked me off X because I posted the truth about his Nazi Apartheidist family who stole billions of wealth from the South African people during Apartheid; then fled SA and bought expedited, white privilege access to American citizenship by bribing someone in INS.
I hope it sets records. Those arrogant fux.
As George Carlin said, "It's a big club, and you ain't in it."
Miss me with the “I’ll miss so much if I leave Facebook, Instagram, etc.” speech. #musk #socialmedia #meta #filmsky
Class solidarity, but for oligarchs.
They don’t need ads. It sells itself. Musk probably paid the companies the ad revenue they would have received. He doesn’t want to be exposed.
The 'Streisand Effect' comes from an incident that pre-dates the rise of social media. Just as social media accelerates mass communication - for good and evil - the billionaires running social media are about to see they accelerate the Streisand Effect too. "Musk" will be the biggest doc of 2026!
Free speech warrior Elon Musk has such a thin skin, that he convinced his fellow billionaires to keep an unflattering film about him hidden. What an absolute loser. Can't wait to see this when it makes it to the NL (though probably not streaming, because I doubt they'll carry it).
You can't buy advertising like this!!! Has Musk never heard of the Streisand Effect? 😂😂
I don't know if the movie is good, but if all the billionaires are colluding to make sure nobody watches it, I'll signal boost this for now. www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/dig...
They are all worried the next doc will be about them
How TF can a movie make Elon look worse? Gamers spammed that he’s a Pedophile who will die with no friends during a livestream. He is a N*zi responsible for Ebola spreading all over the Congo…
Going to see this at a film fest today.
The Epstein class is a tightly knit group that desperately needs unraveling.
Hooo boy, if this is supposed to be a documentary that examines this shrunken corn cob & exposes him as a force of pure evil, then it'd be no wonder if the billionaires are colluding against this film!
If you’re unsure, you might take a look at the director’s earlier work. He took on Scientology in one documentary and and Enron in another. This is not his first rodeo.
In NYC, it releases on Thursday, 10/8, at Angelika Film Center, and there are Q&As with Alex Gibney and Ashley St. Clair after two of the Friday viewings and two of the Saturday viewings! angelikafilmcenter.com/nyc/movies/d...
(Bleecker St films should put the Bluesky logo on their homepage and boycott those other social media platforms, too.)
It's 3 hours and 45 minutes, plus an intermission, long!
Can you Google "Streisand Effect"?
Currently reading Careless People. We are living in a tech bro’s wet dream. It’s time to wake up
It needs to play in more than NYC, LA, and San Francisco.
Flood the theaters- With audiences bigger than Ulysses
YouTube, TikTok and Meta have all refused to run paid ads for the Oct. 9 'Musk' documentary, citing "political" content. Huh, that's weird, I don't remember Elon Musk ever having held elected office. 🤔 www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/dig...
All these geeks are Bond villains and we all should proceed accordingly.
The disgrace is that while Elon Musk has never been voted into any office, he has had more power that those who have been elected. His DOGE has led to death.
The film isn't flattering about Musk - from what I have read. Are the other billionaires afraid that the next documentary will be about them?
Sure wish Youtube would keep the "political content" out of my feed. I'm going to keep reporting it for "promoting terrorism" in the meantime.
I thought that they reversed that decision, already. 🤔
Ohhh, I actually DO WANT to see this. This exposes Musk.
Elon Musk is working hard to ban Alex Gibney's Musk documentary from all social media platforms, and of course he gets whatever he wants. www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/dig...
I'm glad a movie was made that pisses him off, but frankly you couldn't pay me to watch a four-hour (or four-minute) documentary about the Nazi Muskrat. I feel nauseated at the very thought.
that's the only thing that makes me want to watch it.
What was that hypocritical piece of s@#t Nazi saying about a free speech absolutist again???
@rollingstone.com @wired.com @the-independent.com @theeconomistnews.bsky.social @us.theguardian.com @gregsargent.bsky.social @jimacosta.bsky.social @zeteo.com @mollyjongfast.bsky.social @thebulwark.com @statesnewsroom.com @statesman.com
This South African creep,is getting on my nerves.
Trailer is up on youtube now
So YouTube won't platform the Musk documentary trailer but they'll run anti-UN ads?? www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/dig...
This is rank hypocrisy, as you would expect. YouTube in particular is awash in horrendous AI produced ads for grifters and straight weirdo shit and what Meta website isn't completely snowed under by AI produced rage bait? Get bent assholes
Their values are so clear now.
"So much for free speech. The studio releasing Alex Gibney’s new Elon Musk documentary Musk is finding itself unable to buy an ad on the biggest social platforms." www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/dig...
"YouTube, TikTok and Instagram and Facebook owner Meta are all declining to run the trailer for X, along with X itself, The Hollywood Reporter has learned."
They fear it or they would not try to stop it. They fear the people. The tyrants always do. They are caught in a fear and control state and cant see out of it. We the People need to care for our friends and neighbors and in that way, we will overcone this.
Watching white people learn in real time what started with Black people on this man’s platforms But hey It was good riddance when he purchased X and not destabilizing a media ecosystem that we were not prepared to defend
Doesn't mean we can't advertise the shit out of this documentary on our personal accounts. Make sure you buy tickets for "Musk" early & often for the October 9th weekend! Bring friends, go out for coffee after the show. Let's make this the most lucrative documentary in the history of the USA.