Ella Langley’s 'Choosin' Texas' breaks Billboard Hot 100 record
CORRECTION: "Choosin' Texas" by Ella Langley is not the longest-running #1 hit in history. It is still "Oh! Mother May I Have A Lolly" by The Sweetum Boys, legally the only song that existed from the years 1912 to 1916.
googled this to see if it was real and it’s even worse than if it was
"Oh! Mother May I Have A Lolly" is rarely covered as it's lyrics are insanely racist, even for the 1910s.
Stephen Foster songs never stayed in the #1 spot very long because they would be replaced by his next #1 hit every month or two.
youve never heard choosin texas by ella langley? should we tell everyone? should we throw a party? should we invite gigi hadid? (that's a supermodel btw)
"website full of 38 year olds unfamiliar with billboard #1 song" is a discourse we do every six months. guys we're just old
i was so confused how i could not have even heard this song until i found out it’s tiktok and then it all clicked into place
bluesky power users not beating the "does not go outside" allegations today, fucking song is everywhere in retail and at restaurants
in fairness throwing a party where I and my friends listen only to music we all know will probably get me the coveted "chopped unc" status I deserve
the rare super ubiquitous hit i actually think is a pretty well written pop/country song
This one hit me twice, because whenever someone mentions Hadid, I think they mean the architect
once again I will point out how ahead of the curve the hockey idiots from Dallas were on this!!!!
I'm an annoying music snob and even I recognize this song has a catchy AF melody and is a fun little story of heartbreak. I think it's funny when people do whatever they can to avoid new music because the best music ever was when they were in high school. we get it, you're cool.
yeah do you think she'd show? I mean I don't want to bother her but if you think she might show up then definitely.
Once it's had the Hildegard von Blingin' cover done people have no excuse (because they should have heard of it via said cover). Just for the joke of "Choosin' Wessex" alone tbh.
not me learning who gigi hadid is
trying to make sense of "choosin' texas" takery. tl dr I think we're in a culturally improved place overall if choosin texas is bigger than morgan wallen (yes he is probably coming home to roost but i'm hoping against hope he won't) www.dontrocktheinbox.com/t/
yes, this is my response to that idiotic nyt op ed (which one well...all of them)
Fantastic, of course. Noting that it is telling that this, authored by a right-wing middle-aged white man, is the NYT piece that somehow did *not* evoke yet another screed against know-nothing media political apparatchiks with an agenda to destroy country music.
"a beacon at the other end of such a long Morgan Wallen-made tunnel" this seems very true! (I did get it stuck in my head eventually!)
Jesus I’ve seen what you’ve done for Ella and I want that for Sierra Ferrell
I'm just exhausted of all the commenters who want to make sure the world knows they claim to have never heard or heard of the song as if that says anything about it rather than their own narrow listening habits.
I think one aspect of the takery is that the take givers are mostly culture warriors who don't actually give a shit about music qua music. I suspect if you played them any of the top 10 songs on the Billboard Hot 100 that they wouldn't recognize a single one of them.
I think Natalie nails it here - Choosin' Texas is a good, classic single that does like ten things really well, all of which make you feel like chillin' and maybe even singing along cuttin' a rug. And if you can't listen to that without putting someone else down, that's a you problem, not Ella.
I think we actually disagree less than Natalie might imagine! I call it slop bc it exhibits a formulaic approach to songwriting like "Ordinary" that aims to be generic enough to adapt to & fit in a wide wide range of particular situations: diff Billboard charts, personal moments on social media, etc
Spot on. Supposedly "cultured" journalists are victims of their own critical inattention and laziness w/r/t country music
Come for the NYT takedown, stay for the insightful analysis on country's continued lingering role in Americana.
"the only worthwhile takeaway from the Drake remix is how much "Choosin' Texas" owes to R&B and disco country"
"How the Times manages to talk down to both its imagined readers — coastal, progressive etc. — and these "unconstrained" hicks at once is really something!" A bar, friends.
I appreciate this take on takes by Natalie. Looking back through like the top 25 longest running number 1 hits, it's kind of amazing how few I heard during their initial run. And some of them I've never knowingly heard.
Still trying to reconcile why (to simplify) the melody of "Texas" in itself reads as ~great to country critics and ~serviceable to pop critics. (Current conjecture is "tune as something the singer can do something with" vs. "tune as an object of interest in and of itself", but I'm not tied to this)
“Choosin’ Texas” by Ella Langley officially surpasses “All I Want For Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey as the longest-running #1 hit in history (23 weeks).
Who is this girl??? What is this song??? Who is listening to it???
If you work in public spaces with radio you have heard it lots. I have never actively listened to the track and I can sing the entire song. It's vanilla ice cream lowest common denomination music.
"All I Want For Christmas Is You" is cloying as hell and played out but at least it's catchy. "Choosin' Texas" is so bland I can barely remember it after listening to it twice.
Song sounds like it was written in about 5-minutes. It's a paint-by-numbers country song. It's not bad per se but it's about as basic as can be.
Never heard of her or the song.
I live in Texas and I've never heard this song
There is an explanation for this, and it’s simple: The song is Pretty Good
Genuinely have no idea who this is nor have I ever heard the song
Being gay is crazy because literally who is this woman and what is this song????
Christmas >>> Texas Go argue with your mammy
I need every millennial in the comments and QTs to stop being boomers about this Y'all are embarrassing
wait how long have I been in Canada? did culture collapse down there while I was away?
This song is banally catchy, and explains why slotting it into every “Hit play and don’t worry about offending someone” playlist - which counts for Billboard calculations - only means this song is so milquetoast you’ve heard it at your grocery store, and still say “I haven’t even heard this song!”
I heard y'all bitching Taylor popped up, but she might be the only one who can end this national tragedy.
It's interesting that two very important "all-time" records -- most weeks at #1 on the BB Hot 100 and highest-grossing movie ever (Spider-Man: BND) -- were broken within weeks, but neither generated much discussion, was culturally interesting, or felt like a significant event. #music #movies
The point is that you can’t escape Mariah at Christmas. That used to be the case for all No. 1s that lasted this long.
wonder what's more likely 1. a song i have never heard once in my life is the most popular song in the history of music 2. Billboard has broken their own charts in a way that can never be fixed apnews.com/article/ella...
Definitely 2, though I think the album charts are significantly more broken than the pop charts. The decision to favor catalog releases on the Billboard 200 is one of the worst decisions in Billboard history and it occurred basically because of a single freak incident.
I'll have you know that based on the Tin Pan Alley Weekly News-Letter that the top song for the past 2,394 weeks has been Hot Crossed Buns based on their weekly ranking of sheet music sales. call the news.
We’ve gotta be looking at Facebook pivot to video era juicing of the numbers.
‘Choosin’ Texas’ by Ella Langley is now the sole longest-running #1 in Billboard Hot 100 history. (23 weeks)
A band covered this at an outdoor venue in north Florida near St Augustine with around 150 people. I'd venture less than 20% had heard the song before and most didn't like it. Billboard is completely unreal.
How did we let a character made up for a credit card commercial have a number one hit?
who? what song? are you sure this isn't ai?
Never heard or heard of this song or this person.
I've only ever heard this song mentioned one time. I've never actually heard the song itself, but allow me to summarize it for you: "Texas [jerkoff motion]" x25
And yet no one has heard this song. Like I’ve yet to literally hear this song ever 😂😂 not on socials, not on radio. Nothing lol
it's a perfectly good song. don't let people negatively polarize you against music imo
I have heard no one refer to this song irl
i think a lotta ppl saying theyve never heard this song have actually heard it while out and about, but their brains filed it under "unimportant" and thus dont recognize it
Listen i know she’s not marketed to me but my 23 and 17 year old kids have never heard of her either
The Hobby Lobby-fication of American culture continues
sorry gang but we are going to have to try summer again from the top
they're just making people up now like literally
i have never heard this song before and just put it on this is paint by numbers music slop
It's a great song. If you want to understand how the changes to the charts are affecting things listen to Wesley Morris (always listen to Wesley Morris) www.nytimes.com/2026/09/17/p...
Is this because of streaming? I think they should separate streaming #1s, physical sales #1s, and radio #1s. ESPECIALLY when comparing music pre-streaming
Guys Ella Langley is everywhere, can we please not become boomers about pop music now
Thrilled to report that my 16 year olds also had no idea who this was
Big difference is that, unlike 1994, I won't have to listen to this every time I turn on the car radio for 23 weeks.
I've never heard of her or this song but I'm not going to post about it like a point of pride. I'm decades past my I'm Cool Because I Listen To Obscure Music Phase. People can like what they like. 🤷♂️
It's all good. Mariah will reclaim her spot soooooon lol
I’m team Ella, she’s been holding the gates and keeping Stella Lefty out of that number one spot.
"Choosin' Texas" staying at No. 1 so long feels like evidence that the charts/music industry are broken, not because it's a bad song (I like it) but because it seems to be the result of inertia, not a true crossover phenomenon. Still, wild to see people still on here saying they've never heard it.
Respectfully there is no reason to hear it
probably won't be for much longer tho, there's a Taylor nuke incoming this Friday
It's all subjective of course but Choosin Texas doesn't feel like Old Town Road or even A Bar Song as a cultural phenomenon. But One Sweet Day didn't really feel like a song that was number 1 for 16 weeks either, and that's when the charts should have been less broken.
Weirdly the only Ella Langley song I know is ‘weren’t for the wind’, because Mount Eerie covered it on his tour last year
This and the same record being broken in the UK in the same year is notable.
whether or not someone likes “Choosin’ Texas” is much less interesting to me than the fact that someone can be alive and fully aware of pop culture things but has never heard the most popular song in the country. that never could have happened 50, 30, even 20 years ago
i don't go on tiktok or instagram that often, and i don't listen to the radio besides my programmed sirius stations. i don't know where i would have heard it, but maybe i did and it just didn't register with me for whatever reason
A bunch of worldly Lefties are finding out they also live in a bubble.
I mean other than the few times I’ve sat down with the album I’ve never heard this song in the wild. It’s never turned up on my IG and I never listen to terrestrial radio. I literally didn’t know until today it was so popular. Think it’s part of the greater fact that there’s no monoculture anymore
I think the problem is that I’ve almost certainly heard it somewhere, it’s just so unmemorable that I’ve forgotten it
I thought it was a reality dating show.
I've not heard it. I listen to the radio a lot. Like 2-4 hours per day, but I listen only to community, college, or public stations.
If you understand that Choosin’ Texas was written by Miranda Lambert, the most successful female country singer of the last twenty years, that might help you. She is a great song writer. Her and Kacey Musgraves are the models here.
What is hilarious is you can have more the one excellent female country song writer.
They should have let me write the op-ed in the New York Times: jeez.
I am usually a huge Wesley Morris fan but on the last Cannonball, he sounded like he had just discovered Dolly Parton.
The megapopular “All I Want for Christmas Is You” was the previous Billboard record holder.
With no cultural impact whatsoever.
Heard that played on the radio and it sounded like every other boring pop country song.
Medium glass of milk wins Drink of All Time.
I'd never heard of this song before it broke this record. I haven't heard it, know nothing about the artist. Monoculture died a while ago, but it's interesting to see the rotting zombie corpse still wandering around.
Sorry but I will not be "choosing" the shithole state that is Texas....
The bigger story with this Ella Langley song is that we should have never and should continue to never normalize country music in almost all cases
How the fuck is this a record breaking song and I’ve never heard of it or her? Nobody in Miami would ever play this shit
ITS NOT EVEN A GOOD SONG!
If you sing in English with a twang you’re virtue signaling. The Beatles didn’t sing with Liverpool accents
Cocaine Blues would beg to differ. www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGf2...