Control Resonant launches, earns strong early reviews
Seeing a lot of people “worried” because CONTROL RESONANT is getting 3/5’s and 6/10’s and I think this chart perfectly captures how gamers perceive modern review scores:
As a control fan a 6/10 is a 10/10 for me
Everyone suddenly treating review outlets like gospel like we weren’t toasting the shit out of IGN a few months ago for giving Mouse PI a 6/10 for being exactly what it advertised itself as, but the reviewer just didn’t like that kind of game
Saw a non-gamer give a game review the other day and they were like "its fine, not great, not bad, 5/10" And the comments were all like "FIVE? OH SO ITS DOGSHIT? WOW"
An 84 on Metacritic is nothing to sneeze at (and is higher than the first game's 82).
we've been trained by our corporate overlords to treat anything that's not a 10/10 as a failure
With how good I think Wolverine is, people just need to stop interacting with games criticism and take the plunge. I know money is tight, but if you like Remedy and what they do, you shouldn't need outside influence. Even if it means waiting six months. Stop feeding into the cycle.
One of the best games I have ever played. Free yourselves. Develop your own tastes and proclivities. Spend a little too much money on something you're unsure about so you HAVE to engage with it and see it through. You will discover your new favorite games.
somebody with knowledge and decades in the biz should do a breakdown on the economics of review inflation, how true the idea actually was, and how the landscape is so different now that this chart is ancient history
10: Ecco the Dolphin 9: James Pond 3 8: Grabbed By The Ghoulies 7: The Ooze 6: The Bouncer 5: Soukaigi 4: Sonic 06 3: Taz-Mania (Mega Drive) 2: Darkwing Duck (PC Engine) 1: Awesome Possum Pretty straightforward imo.
This is why a studio's reputation is so important. I'm down for whatever Remedy puts on the table because I fuck with their vision. Will there be pain points and imperfections? Sure, but I know it's also gonna be something that aligns with my personal tastes which is way more important to me
Forgot who brought it up on YouTube this past week, but, like, a 6/10 game in the mid-aughts was, like, God Hand, Mr. Mosquito, or State of Emergency. There was just so much more room for an imperfect game to be seen as worth a look
Your 6/10s don’t scare me, I have seen what your 9/10s look like. But also I’m a sicko that recommends people to play AND watch Quantum Break, so don’t mind me.
The mistake a lot of people make is believing that this wasn’t also the case with review scores in the 90’s and 00’s
...modern? this has been the review scale for twenty years
Control: Resonant | Reviews 10 - VGC 9 - PSX Brasil 9 - Gamespot 9 - GiantBomb 9 - ScreenRant 9 - MondoXbox 8.5 - XGN 8.5 - DayOne 8.5 - Dualshockers 8 - IGN 8 - Forbes 8 - GamePro 8 - TechRaptor 8 - Push Square 8 - MonsterVine 7.5 - Press Start 7 - PSLS 7 - Gameliner 6 - GamesRadar MC: 86 OC: 84
Heck yeah! Another Remedy classic
I love the low scores from websites I never heard of .... Who cares the game is gonna be peak 🙌
Remedy with another banger 🔥
Meus manos da Remédio nunca erram,e quando erram, foram tentando acertar. Já tô ansioso para o dia 24. 🥺
gamepro’s around? and they give a score out of ten? sorry, i’m going to need to see how excited their lil fido dido is before making any decisions.
Control Resonant's poor early pacing and combat balance makes way for a brilliantly deep action game that is bigger, more personal, messier and more human than original. My review: www.gamerguides.com/control-reso...
I SEE CASPER DARLING I BUY
As someone who thought the original story suffered greatly once Dylan was involved, it has been a shocker at how much I ended up enjoying his character by the end. Such a good freaking game.
Great review. Really seems like the general opinion on combat will vary based on what skills folks opt to acquire first. Was cautiously optimistic but knew I was in for the story either way.
The GB fam asked me to review Control Resonant!! My biggest takeaway is that Control Resonant is a messy game, but a messy game is something beautiful. it’s a challenge to accept learning new tasks, ideas, and the growing pains that come alongside it all. It’s an open acceptance of being wrong
There’s something so profound about not having to be the smartest person in the room. About taking an idea you assume is right and running with it for long stretches of time whether it was correct or not. There’s something freeing in its design philosophy, unafraid of outside examination
Super excited to see you were the one reviewing this for GB!
The best part of Control Resonant is how it understands the freaky liminal appeal of simply existing in New York City. My latest for @pcmag.com www.pcmag.com/news/control...
constant intrusive thought while playing this game: “Alan Wake Warriors”
I'm curious about two thing: Is the main threat zombies (possessed humanoid, mindlessly aggressive) once again? And is the story written in a more cohesive way than the first control?
love that this is RESONATING with folks. putting out a piece I'm proud of is just a great antidote to the depressing talk about games media (and cuts through the headass talk about talk about games media)
The freaky parts of NYC (Brooklyn)
Really interesting piece and culture commentary here from Jordan
i reviewed Control Resonant! it's GREAT - i love Dylan, and Jesse's presence is felt - combat is slick but eventually dulls - world is impeccably designed - overall story is more conventional but parts within it are some of Remedy's *best* 📺: youtu.be/7YiRi1llmQo?... 📰: www.ign.com/articles/con...
something i keep thinking about is how in the absence of a more detailed map, diegetic signposting and embedding the world itself to guide you is fantastic design. the original Control did it well, but Resonant is a different scale, esp when gravity becomes a factor! www.ign.com/articles/con...
So many mixed reviews on this game. I don't think Alan wake 2 had this. It's very interesting to see
I’m somewhere between 5-10hrs into Control Resonant & 16% done according to PlayStation’s metrics. I have no plans to finish it. It has been a boring, discouraging slog to play. It’s like the Control IP was sold off & someone else said let’s make it open world & failed in all the ways you’d expect.
I’ve heard “it gets better!” And the “story stuff gets crazy” but should I play a bad game for a few more hrs to get to an alleged great game? And does greatness later absolve you of early sins. Tbh idts? At this point BOTW could be around the corner & I still don’t know that I want to keep walking
I’m only about 4 hours in, but we are on the same page on this one! I appreciate this thread
Speak your truth! Still working on my review, but I'm feeling similarly about 20 hours in. This shift to open world plus combat has really weighed it down for me
oh no that's super sad
you are the best, thanks for your commentary
Breath of the Wild effect still hits (derogatory)
Interesting how divisive control resonant is which makes me feel like the Finnish freaks still got it
At the very least this is not a game that you will feel neutral about. Go big or go home.
How soon we forget Alan Wake II’s combat.
Was reminded just this last week that there's a strong contingent that outright DESPISED Alan Wake II. That was the last time I remember The Discourse actually being invigorating. It's happening again. I can't wait.
As someone who comes to Remedy for That Freak Shit I could not be more excited.
I am looking forward to it eventually!
I do not remember the first game having such a split, at most, I don’t think everyone was won over by Jesse. Fascinating to see after Alan wake 2 had folks bouncing off the walls
Already have a sneaking suspicion that I’ll have to do a lore deep dive into the Remedyverse for you all after I play #controlresonant Cause a spoiler free video was clearly not enough for you
That vid was over-the-threshold effort, A+ Good Job!
Jesse, Jesse, Jesse. *Shakes head* You've done basically the best explainer I've seen for the Remedyverse. Not only is it not enough, it will never be enough. You know how weird the lore people get for games like these! You're trapped now.
I do enjoy hearing you talk about things you're interested in. plus I love video essays.
Dude the video was great but I REALLY want a deeeep dive into the series and its lore with you.
Control Resonant is my favorite Remedy game and EASILY my game of the year so far. So many interesting side quests, NPCs, and discoveries. www.youtube.com/live/v662hKx...
This is the one I've been waiting for.
Fuuuuck. Too many games, man
This is my most anticipated game, and now im even more hyped. Thursday can't come soon enough.
This is the other side of the world from what other reviews are saying. Can't wait to hear Andy's thoughts!
a calm washes over me
Control Resonant is proof that bigger is not better. A sequel that misunderstands what made the original so gripping. A tired open-world, middling combat, and a by the book story don't help. But even more disappointing is how it casts aside Jesse. www.polygon.com/control-reso...
If people look past the Remedy rose-colored glasses of it all, I think you'll find Resonant is a deeply boring and unoriginal game.
so you're saying the control sequel doesn't resonate with you
I was really hoping that my initial impressions were just off by a mile, disappointed to hear that’s not the case
Não falem comigo, estou triste
My timeline is: Control Resonant is amazing and incredible. Control 2 is a disappointment The new Control is transcendent, but messy Control Resonant is a slog starring a bleh main character Control 2 is an unexpected but gorgeous sequel AND, I'm more excited than ever to check it out.
I love it when a game gets a lot of varied reviews and reactions. Usually a sign that the devs made something actually interesting! Maybe I'll hate it. Maybe I'll love it. Maybe I'll be in the middle. Excited to find out.
death stranding 2 reviews read like this and that became my game of the gen so im in
That's how I know I'll like it.
I'm going to try it out for sure, but it's still a bummer to me that we don't get more adventures with Jesse.