Zach Cregger says he cut humor from Resident Evil after test screenings
Zach Cregger's ‘RESIDENT EVIL’ is Certified Fresh at 96% on Rotten Tomatoes. Officially the highest rated video game movie OF ALL TIME. Read our review: bit.ly/DFEvil
I'll have to hurry and see it before you guys post some massive spoiler in a couple days.
That's interesting, as while it's a pretty good movie, I don't think Zach Cregger's Resident Evil is the best video game movie of THIS YEAR. That would be Exit 8.
I give it a week.
The RE reddit is SEETHING over this 😭😭😭😭
os gamers tão putos com esse aqui e me dando mais vontade de assistir
Maybe angry gamers don’t need to be listened to, actually
Ugh…. I jus wanna be a Cregger hater in peace
Having just seen this movie I can confirm it is, in fact, better than the Super Mario Brothers movie
Mmm... I'll be the judge of that.
Life is not fair right now, LET ME IN
Yep. RESIDENT EVIL is as good as you hear. Not what I expected. Smaller, more contained, but by far the best of the series, by a country mile. What if a glorified DoorDash driver wandered into Raccoon City on the first night. Funny, terrifying, so many good jumps, but most of all: FUN! Check it out!
Semi-spoilers to those who haven’t seen: It’s like following the guy whose notes and journal entries you find, and I kind of love that we got to track an NPC from start to finish. Final lesson: Be the final boss you want to see in the world.
The running gag of him being a terrible shot, culminating in him shouting “I fucking suck at guns!” really spoke to me as someone who is terrible at aiming in video games. I thought it was a great film.
Zach Cregger came out to play and showed himself a junkion. The film still has his artistic style, but he’s also loosened up and playing in ways I didn’t expect. It’s even almost structured like a video game too: each set-piece is a level, moments to explore & learn, & being chased by supermonster
Never played a Resident Evil myself, but this is the best adaptation of how it FEELS to play a video game I’ve ever seen.
It has some serious Evil Dead 2 vibes.
It coming from the same person who did Weapons gave me hope. The trailer took that hope away again. You just gave it back. 🙏
Remember Resident Evil? Zach Cregger has single-handedly resurrected a long forgotten videogame franchise that has seen no new entries in over 6 months (Source: tinyurl.com/3ch2357p)
resident evil was really great. if you see anyone on any side of any argument saying it wasn't like the games or 'wasn't resident evil', stiff arm them
Cregger's RE wasn't an adaptation of an existing Resident Evil game, it was a new Resident Evil game in the shape of a movie, and it was delightful.
But Kris what *Mike Stoklasa voice* Chris Redfield? Remember Jill sandwich? Leon S. Kennedy. What about Albest Wesker and sunglasses? G-virus? TG-virus? Las Plagas! Remember Mr. X?
I genuinely laughed and still laugh that people are saying "Cregger made Umbrella scientists look like idiots" and like MOTHERFUCKER THEY ARE MORONS WE SEE TWICE IN THE GAMES HIGHER UP SCIENTISTS SHOOT AN ACTIVE LAB UP TO KILL ANOTHER SCIENTIST THEY HATE AND THAT SPREADS THE VIRUS"
Zach Cregger understands that the point of RE is not the story or lore, it's about the atmosphere and visceral thrill of playing the game. This is the first video game movie I've seen that feels like it's accurately adapting the gameplay instead of the story
It was fantastic. It got the feeling and spirit perfectly. Vg jnf onfvpnyyl gur bevtva fgbel bs n ER obff zbafgre
not to brag but I’ve been stiff arming people who care about the Resident Evil storyline for 20 years talk about trying to squeeze blood from a turnip…
Watched Resident Evil Zach Cregger is able to maintain the survival horror roots of the games that has plenty of effective scares and effects while having a good use of action and humor when it needs to. As well having a great performance from Austin Abrams.
The fact that it took us 20 plus years to get not just a good RE movie but a GREAT floors me!
a resident evil film that actually FEELS like resident evil is really cool
I can’t wait to see this this weekend
I went to watch it and holy crap... it felt like watching a Resident Evil game but in real life. The effects were quite impressive.
Zach Cregger is so funny man, everyone I know loves him as a horror director but if I ask “oh did you like the movie?” you get “okay well like is a complicated word right.” without fail
I genuinely receded into my mind last night trying to figure out how I felt about Resident Evil. I had to resign myself to my study.
LOL I’m so excited to watch resident evil this weekend, Barbarian threw me for a loop in the second half and was kind of structured like the RE games near the end, so if it’s anything like that, I’m all for it 😝
I think Resident Evil is a lot better than Weapons because Weapons raises a really provocative question and then the answer is “there’s an evil witch.” Resident Evil doesn’t bother with the first part and is better for it
It’s basically just asking “how fucked up it would be if all that stuff happened?”, a fair thing to ask really.
It was very entertaining. Feel like they could have done something different with the ending, but my non gamer wife liked it just as much as me so that’s saying something.
Weapons does have a big cathartic moment of come up’ins at the end there that Resident Evil (very intentionally) does not.