BBC opens Doctor Who production tender, series eyed for 2028-29 return
very much enjoying the part of the BBC's doctor who tender invitation where they spend three paragraphs explaining the basic premise of doctor who for any interested producers who may not have seen the show before
"Iconic, established villains..." considering the last two seasons finales i think you can maybe ease up on them being a talking point
TBF Davies seemed to have forgotten...
"keen not to be overly reliant on existing Dr Who lore". Sigh....
Can we just admit Disney killed it and move on?
BBC posts Doctor Who Invitation to Tender for 2028/2029 transmission cultbox.co.uk/news/bbc-pos...
OMG this is great news. I’m little unsure about how short the time frame is but glad @mvbrat10.bsky.social @nerdobaggins.bsky.social @ryanjrobotham.bsky.social @bvlikeslinguica.bsky.social @gonzaegonza91.bsky.social @scalawagjack.bsky.social @thanosprime.bsky.social @jpwphoenix.bsky.social
At last!! The tender invitation is officially out. We know BBC Studios are going to pitch, but I wonder who else will throw their hat into the ring!! #DoctorWho
I find this whole thing deeply odd and performative. I can't think of a TV show production ever going out to tender before. It feels like this is all to appease something like the Taxpayers Alliance.
Thats quite sooner than I expected but I welcome it
DW tender is out. Editorial (extract below, my emphasis) certainly does not suggest an appetite to move away from the show's all-things-to-all-people approach. The line about lore is a fairly solid criticism of the last (possibly last two) showrunners. Door is open for a pretty hard relaunch though.
I saw this after my post so... here we are.
And we're off to the races! Who will be our lucky winner? Result coming in March! 🤔
The Doctor Who tender invitation is out, contrary to all those people who told me the show was dead and I was deluded to think the BBC had any intention of keeping it going. Broadcast target 2028/29, tight turnaround for submissions - just two weeks. www.bbc.co.uk/commissionin...
Ah, that makes sense - yeah it's two weeks to say "Yes we want to pitch and are in a position to make this show". bsky.app/profile/xand...
I will be (pleasantly) astounded if the winning bidder is able to get a series together for 2028. ‘Works visually for HD’ and ‘can put out a series every year’ seems increasingly 🦄
The 2 week deadline is for shortlisting “eligibility criteria” (financial standing of the bidder etc) - full submission deadline is early December which is more realistic!
Sounds like they're throwing the doors open wide in terms of formatting and approach - it's a pretty sharp contrast to the Silent Witness or Casualty tenders, which were very prescriptive in terms of what the BBC were expecting to see. No bad thing!
I hope that at least one of the applicants is filming the process of deciding to tender and of building a tender. That's a fascination prog, right there.
I'm thinking the dates and wording suggest Christmas Special 28 to start it and then full series in 29.
Thoughts and prayers to whoever has to weed out the pitches from delusional timewasters
@gruntleigh.bsky.social - Time for your comeback as a Star, Director, Producer???
The naysayers and doom mongers proved wrong for about the billionth time. They never learn, do they?
If you are a regional production company based in Wales who can knock up a proposal in two weeks, the job's in the bag. www.bbc.co.uk/commissionin...
They don't even provide a budget until you are shortlisted.
Waiting for "the fandom" to read this bit as "AI" and lose its shit.
Is the National Theatre of Brent still going?
You don't even need to write the three pages in *this* phase? This phase is "hi I exist and am a valid creative entity, put me on a longlist"
Could be filmed in a pub car park?
Crypto billionaires putting in their proposal for new Doctor Who with brave working class Time Lord of the people Docco Who helping the patriots with legitimate concerns defend against working age Daleks arriving via dinghy. Cameos from Chris Mason and Lawrence Fox.
Ian Levine pulls out a hefty and ominous folder.
Amazing that the only televised Doctor Who we'll get in 2027 is the CBeebies show where Davros learns his two times table or whatever the fuck that show is gonna be
New Euphemism for going to the loo: "I've just dropped a tender off for the new series, I'd give it five minutes if I were you."
If you ask me, what Doctor Who needs is less moping around and more fun adventures. More long form storytelling suits the show, gives time to develop characters and make an impact. All the shows everyone loves now do this, and naturally Doctor Who sits with this.
Big cliffhangers, get everyone talking about it and speculating each week as a story builds up. Maybe two big adventures a year where the stories get to breathe and build up. Give us a strong female Doctor, male companion, brilliant monsters old and new in witty, scary adventures, not too dark.
Flux was a step in the right direction. Let's have more of that, please!
Imo clear the board This regen remembers nothing and has to dig out the tardis user manual, everything is new to them deadline.com/2026/09/doct...
Jesus Christ I just want the show to come BACK from its umpteenth hiatus! I’m half convinced the BBC are keeping it on hiatus to appease grifters who claim it’s dead.
Didn't they sort of do that with the first handful of Capaldi episodes where they had clear callbacks to previous doctors and episodes and Capaldi's Doctor at least pretended to not remember them and people hated it?
A homeless guy hides in a phone box, hoping for somewhere to get out of the rain...
Have two timelords in the box and you don't know which is which because memories are scrambled together. They have to choose which one by the end
If Doctor Who’s up for tender, who would be good to get it? Blumhouse or Aardman might be fun. It’ll probably be Goalhanger, though.
I think they should give it to the KLF and be done with it.
Ed Sheeran’s band have got a free window
If we don’t end up with Mackenzie Crook in charge I’ll be very disappointed.
The Rest Is For The Weary
I was about to suggest Armando Ianucci, but fuck it, Chris Morris would be perfect.
It should go to BBC3, they did a great outside broadcast of the Devils End excavation.