Skip to content

Angel City beats Seattle Reign 3-1, tightens NWSL playoff race

sportsSep 17, 202631579

Angel City FC beat Seattle Reign 3-1 at BMO Stadium as Ally Sentnor converted an 18th-minute penalty, Ary Borges redirected a 40th-minute corner into the far post, and Taylor Suarez came off the bench in the 80th minute to rifled a shot into the upper corner. Sofia Huerta scored a late stoppage-time consolation for Seattle. The penalty resulted after a corner scramble struck Angharad James-Turner’s elbow; the referee awarded the spot and there was no clear and obvious error to overturn. Seattle’s second-half defending broke down on Borges’s goal when zonal marking failed and Jess Fishlock was left tracking two runners. Angel City came into the match leading the league with nine set-piece goals and again capitalized on corners and a quick throw-in sequence for their third. Seattle remains in the eighth and final playoff spot, now only one point ahead of Angel City, after a difficult stretch that included more than 1,500 miles of travel in three days.

Jeff Kassouf
@jeffkassouf.bsky.social

EXCLUSIVE: Vlatko Andonovski is the new Chief Soccer Officer of the Chicago Stars. The ex- #USWNT coach will oversee the entire technical department. Why Chicago? And how did the last-place #NWSL team secure him after his recent exit from Kansas City? Details on @espn.com 👇

11722d ago
Quoting this
Sarah Spain ✨70

I WAS KIDDING!!! I DIDN’T THINK HE’D ACTUALLY COME HERE!!! LET’S FUCKING GOOOOOOO

Jason Anderson70

My unsolicited advice to the Chicago Stars is that they might want to let fans and the general public know a version of whatever they told Vlatko to sell him on the salvage-and-repair job ahead of him

🏳️‍🌈Riss Willett 🩷💜💙30

She started sharing her story and what she values, and it was very aligned with what I value. She talked about integrity, respect, empathy, taking care of people. That is very much what I value as well." Yeah I’m reading this as a shot and that’s the only way I’m taking it.

SmolAnna23

Welcome our new Head of Ball, Representing Soccer. Hope you like Malort!

Alexander Abnos20

"She started sharing her story and what she values, and it was very aligned with what I value. She talked about integrity, respect, empathy, taking care of people. That is very much what I value as well." He may not have meant it this way, but this reads...pointedly.

Bruno Fernandes needs punched in the throat14

He may have been born in Macedonia, but Vlatko is a Midwesterner through and through.

Meghan with a H13

Shout out to Chicago for capitalizing on our absolute incompetency 🫥

Pardeep Cattry12

this honestly felt like a natural move as soon as Vlatko Andonovski was out of a job in Kansas City - the Chicago Stars felt in desperate need of (among other things) a good soccer hire, and he fully fits the bill

Casey Hultin10

Congratulations to @lesleyryder.bsky.social and @emcanderson.bsky.social

Eric Wahl10

Chicago about to become what Kansas City could have been

1 source