Valve launches Steam Frame VR headset
I do like the number of people who saw the Steam Frame price and said "400 bucks is worth not having to deal with Meta"
People talk about the "Microsoft tax" but Meta is lower than dirt lol.
I think it can't be under appreciated how much people despise meta. I have many friends that have quests and they want a Frame because the quest also breaks constantly in new and interesting ways. I have had multiple friends cancel VRChat hangouts because of some weird update that broke everything.
I mean for me personally if Meta gave me a Quest for free I'd still use a Frame instead, I had a Rift and every Facebook integration that got added made me feel gross
chris nailed it. i talked abt this on stream last night - the steambox and steam frame are "trojan horses" for valve, carrying a One More Thing w them that are the /real/ master plan w steambox, valve made steamos a public distro w steam frame, valve leverages FEX to bring steamos to arm64 devices
what's an arm64 device? arm chips are what power both iphone and android phones, as well as the current fleet of snapdragon-powered laptops, and - most importantly - high powered handhelds like Ayn ODIN and Ayn THOR coming out of china right now. these are cheaper than a switch 2 w great specs!
and I ain't even mad.
I'm so out of the loop on vr headsets I jumped in with the first Vive and first Rift but then Facebook went and put out a whole bunch of meta quests that I don't know anything about besides the vague hunch that they might have been standalone devices
Thinking a little further out, if Valve is happy with FEX performance on Android handhelds, I wonder if that creates the possibility of Steam Deck 2 being an ARM device. If they can mostly match x86 perf and cut down energy use, that could mean a sleeker and cheaper system.
big win for open computing and mobile pc gaming, kind of a new reality on the horizon sorta deal but let’s see these hardware prices get normal again first lol