Dario Amodei calls for slowing AI development
Anthropic CEO Dario Amodei: "My view here is it has always been very strange that this technology is being built by a private company ... I think the government and the public needs to have a stake. And that's why we've supported regulation."
"I think the government and the public needs to have a stake" = "this bubble is going to pop and if I don't get bought out I'll be ruined"
Also Amodei, "lets set it up so the government has to bail us out when the bubble bursts."
Oh god he’s jumping ship
A government stake? so like a bailout?
the bailout talk is back
"I'm going to tell you directly that I shouldn't be doing the things I'm doing, but I'm not going to stop doing what I'm doing, so maybe y'all should stop me?"
The same for CO₂ removal (CDR)
Dreams of regulation from the guy who secretly tried to shred all the books…
"we're reaching the limits of how much the same four companies can shuffle money between themselves to stay afloat - time to start leeching funds from taxpayers"
Cuando esta gente quiere compartir voluntariamente la tarta con el sector público es porque tienen más que claro que se viene una bancarrota general y buscan a un pringao diferente a ellos que sea el que se coma el marrón.
"Anda, que no nos vamos a forrar tanto como creíamos. Estaría bien que el pufo de cuando esto estalle se lo coma otro. Habrá que salir a preparar el terreno."
I need Matthew Rhys to play this man sooner rather than later
And damn, somehow that private company is mine! And I'm fabulously wealthy as a result. Damned strange!!
I'm gonna say it: Whatever went suddenly wrong, we don't know the half.
They are really desperate. Be strong everyone, only a few months or a year and the bubble will finally explode.
"I mean, can you believe they let us steal every text and work of art in history? That shit's BANANAS."
Musk definitely rushing to agree about AI slowdown because he sees it as a chance for xAI to make up ground on leaders.
this responsible steward of incremental progress?
I mean, this is why he started talking about AI "unleashing the demon" in 2014, even as he started building the AI system with the biggest death count so far (AP/FSD)
True - if Grok had reached the level of Anthropic/OpenAI, I suspect the internet hacking meltdown would have already happened (since Grok is "aligned" with Elon). Anthropic and OpenAI are so far ahead that they still need to pause.
I can see all these "ai"company CEOs thinking we'll say let's "slowdown on ai" and then change nothing while believing everyone else is pausing. Its all empty talk they say they want to pause and its so dangerous but they do nothing to address real or perceived danger
Love how there's so many pundits going 🤔wait they all agree? That must mean they're RIGHT about how too-powerful AI is! When the truth is if you think for two seconds the real motivations for all 3 men are pretty obvious. Yeah in Elon's case it's definitely this. Sam is pivoting for the post-bubble.
Very “oh me too…” vibes from Musk.
amodei and musk’s alliance—due to him being the only guy who can sell them compute and both of them hating sam altman—cannot possibly end smoothly
Ah yes! Just like the agreement not to confess in the two-person, one-shot, prisoner’s dilemma.
Or…hear me out…Elon is lying and the others are not.
Amodei made the remarks on CBS Sunday Morning, one day after calling for AI companies to slow down their frontier research.
Does he think we're supposed to be soft on him? Poor tech billionaire guys? They are the problem, they need to fix it now. They should be held responsible for all the flaws.
When asked if he would be willing to give up AI technology to the government, Amodei said “to the right combination of governments,” adding, “I am concerned that one single government could abuse this technology just as easily as a single company could. They did, and they keep doing it, governments.
Dario may only be the best of the worst, but in comparison to Musk, Altman, Zuckerman, Thiel, etc, he is a superstar for showing some honesty, decency and concern for the future of the common man, woman and child, concerns not even on the radar of the others in their pursuit of power and wealth.
Sounds like AI realized there can’t be a functioning society WITH billionaires And ai thinks their wealth should be redistributed To provoke this strong of a reaction from them. I mean, they were fine with the CSAM and the poors losing their jobs. So it must be ai wants to eat the rich.
That means it’s too late. In layman’s terms, we are so fucked.
The “hysteria” around AI has two poles that feed off each other. Excessive enthusiasm and alarm. Both sides exaggerate. Those promising total revolution want more funding; those predicting catastrophe need regulatory urgency or audience. Wasn’t this the same debate we had when the Net arrived?
The A.I. risk conversation is now 'companies need to slow down because Terminator is around the corner.' But there is another way of looking at it, which is that they built unpredictable & insecure software which first hacked people's minds & now online infrastructure www.nytimes.com/2026/09/12/t...
Why does the cynic in me think this is all related to the upcoming IPOs?
I firmly believe we’re much closer to AI draining people’s bank accounts without authoritzation than we are to terminator Now that would be a good terminator parody. Humans ready for weapon based war when in actuality? Skynet just ruins people’s lives
I would add that the companies hacked people's minds (hype/marketing/FOMO) before the technology did (AI psychosis). Had genAI not been so vastly oversold, it wouldn't have the reach with which to cause so much damage.
Only take Amodei, Altman and Musk seriously if they pledge to abandon their IPOs. Otherwise, they're just performance artists.
It's already too late, we just don't know it yet. Common sense and reason will always go by the wayside especially when profits this enormous are involved. Too much wealth and power is controlled by a handful of (mostly) white men bent on fascism. Capitalism incentiveizes sociopathic behavior.
"the smarter we make our crime machine the more crimes it does. weird!" -dario, probably
BREAKING: Donald Trump rejects calls from tech bosses for an AI slowdown, per FT
"I probably know more about AI than anyone."
Who gives a shit what he says about this
He must be making money on AI. Everything is a grift
Considering their track record, it seems unlikely that the Techbros are calling for an AI slowdown out of concern for mankind's safety. So it's surprising that Trump isn't going along with whatever their real reason is for this proposition. It's not like the orange moron understands the tech.
Hahah they aren't getting a bail out
So more decision making about things he knows nothing about. MAGA!
I read Dario Amodei’s “pacing the frontier” essay. It pulls a sleight of hand of turning failures in agent security testing into evidence “AI l is too powerful.” The remedies shift accountability from labs to AI models while slowing training and constraining China also benefit the labs themselves.
I can't help but notice he didn't mention anything about "pacing" Anthropic's $2 trillion IPO. An oversight, I'm sure.
Shorter Dario: REGULATE ME (and also saddle my cheaper competitors with crippling regulatory requirements that potentially lock them out of the largest market)
And "slowing down" also helps them explain away declining revenues and the slowdown of model progress, which will of course all help their IPO look better.
i can't but help to wonder if they're using AI to create the sandboxes, and what they've learned from it
Now the CEOs of both of the world’s largest AI companies are calling for a reigning in of AI development. We have a public consensus. Lawmakers must act now. www.npr.org/2026/09/12/n...
I wonder how much testing these companies' QA teams are doing - who is writing the scripts - are they comprehensive enough, etc., etc. are the testers any good, do they even care... one falling down phrase I hated was "everything is working as designed" - if no one questions the design, then what?
The call for a slow down only benefits the public image while everything continues at pace behind the facade.
What bit them in the ass? And is it on the loose?
Trump has announced that he is not in favor of an AI slowdown
Trump is dying and he wants the world to go with him.
They’ll have to pay T a little bit more…
Cursed in at least two ways
TRUMP dismisses clamor for AI regulation or slowdown, per pool: “We can put guardrails, and we can do this and that, but I think you have a lot of negative forces that are bringing it up and they're bringing up things that won't happen.”
TRUMP was responding to whether the AI sector should be regulated or slowed down, as advocated by Anthropic’s Dario Amodei. “Whoever wins with AI wins,” Trump added
Proving that Trump's an idiot.
Clueless. I’m trying to talk “clean” because it’s Sunday. “Things” are being “brought up” because THEY ARE HAPPENING.