England to let mayors impose nightly tourist tax on hotels and Airbnbs
Genuinely has anyone ever decided against booking a holiday to a city because a 'tourist tax' at the hotel has added an extra tenner or so across the week to something that already cost hundreds of pounds anyway? Because, you know, I suspect it's unlikely...
No, for 2 reasons. Firstly, I'm usually blissfully unaware of such taxes until I'm asked to pay at check-in (whenever I've consciously encountered it, it wasn't charged with the booking). Secondly, even if I was aware, it's small fry that usually doesn't impact my decision making.
No, but I don't think it should apply to residents of that country. We surely want to encourage people to holiday at home when possible/desirable, and we already pay our taxes here.
Mayors in England given powers to introduce a ‘tourist tax’ www.channel4.com/news/mayors-...
THis has all the hallmarks of a failure that will be undone in a few months time
Is anyone visiting? I have heard that visitor numbers are waaaaay down since Brexit. And friends would like to visit but it’s expensive.
Have a tourist tax only when VAT on hospitality is reduced to 10-12% Mindless tax policies again
We're already absurdly expensive compared to much else in Europe, and if people haven't been paying attention tourism isn't much of a thing these days. Just guessing it might be to do with all the violent xenophobic hatred, and the complete absence of reaction from government and police.