Shingles vaccine linked to lower risk of heart attack and stroke
This could be huge, preventing hundreds of thousands of cases of heart disease and stroke.
Also, a 20% reduction in the risk of dementia, apparently. Where can I get it!?
Yes please. Shingles is such a horrible thing to have as well. Vaccines have improved our lives so much. It's hard to fathom why the "always wrong" brigade is so against them. Their loss.
RFK will ban it soon.
It isn’t currently offered to everyone over 65 though. It will be eventually, but at the moment it’s being ‘rolled out’ and the criteria for eligibility is labyrinthine.
Thank you for getting the word out, Mark! And it helps against dementia as well. Huzzah! I saw this posted on Stanford U's site last year & got vaxxed. My nurses were unaware of it, but said they'd seen an uptick in younger people, in their 30s, requesting it. news.stanford.edu/stories/2025...
Makes me cross that because I had the earlier version of the vaccine they won't give me this one. And I got shingles twice anyway! Time to get assertive again....
Yes! Got mine last year. Science Matters.
“If confirmed, this benefit would be comparable to taking a daily blood pressure-lowering medication, the scientists said.”
Halt blöd, dass die Impfung für Menschen unter 60 Jahre, hier auch mal eben mit rund 600€ ins private Budget knallt 🙄
Vakcína proti planým neštovicím snižuje riziko infarktu a mrtvice 👀
& helps prevent dementia. Definitely everyone should get the Shingrix vaccine. Should be more widely available for free as it's pricey.
16 months to wait for it.
Once again, vaccines are indeed miraculous.
Yay for science and scientists.
Yesssssss! I’m so glad I’m Shingrix vaccinated. It’s so helpful.
Got mine booked for next week
Did you all see this? Shingles vaccine linked to lower risk of heart attack and stroke, study finds…have you had your shingles vax yet? www.theguardian.com/science/2026...
There was also a study that the shingles vaccine may reduce the risk of dementia.
Here is the published manuscript www.nature.com/articles/s41...
You can be anti-vax all you want, but I’m telling you, shingles will humble your ass.
No, but I talked about getting it for several years. Kept putting it off. Days after returning from a trip to Malta last Sept I got shingles on my face. What a journey. Get your shingles vaccine!!
I hadn’t seen! Good news. I’ll have to get one Laura! Jim😊
There are many reasons to get the Shingrix vaccination. Folks neglecting to do so are fools. Unfortunately, insurance doesn't always pay if you are under 50 or 60. This needs to change. 
btw if you are a millennial get your shingles vax before chicken pox reactivates from the stress of living in 2026 i have so many friends under 40 where this happened to them
And dementia! Roll up your sleeve if you are over 50.
Haven't had it made available to me. But would love it considering I did get forcibly infected by chicken pox cuz of "chicken pox parties"
Une autre raison pour vacciné les Québécois de plus de 50 ans! Le retour de l’investissement en vaut la peine!
Those "Shingles Doesn't Care" commercials were very effective! 🫡
Why yes I have 👍
No speculation as to the mechanism, I note. It would be interesting to compare the numbers with the efficacy of the two vaccines in question (preferably from the same data); that might at least offer a hint.
I’ve had shingles. You bet I got vaccinated.
There’s already research connecting the Shingrix vaccine to a significantly reduced risk of dementia. Now it looks like it might also significantly reduce risks of heart attacks and strokes. NHS it at 65 in the UK but you can pay privately & get it from age 50 www.theguardian.com/science/2026...
Shingrix is not cheap privately - £500 for the two doses - but the evidence of its benefits is impressive and growing. Plus it protects you against shingles! Which is horrible. A great gift to yourself if you are 50+ & can afford it. I hope the NHS will start rolling it out younger.
Also available for free for younger people after certain immunotherapy treatments. I had it last year following treatment for multiple sclerosis. It's worth checking with your GP if you've been through treatment for autoimmune conditions or cancer.
Having had shingles twice in my life, I had my shots, here in Germany, as soon as it came onto the market.
But if you were already 65 on 1 September 2023 you have to wait until you’re 70 to get it on the NHS. If you weren’t, you can get it at 65. My brother is 3 years younger than me, but qualifies for the vaccine 2 years before me. Which seems a bit illogical.
White women in England are at a higher risk of shingles than other groups pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC... Being fit and active seems to increase your risk (erk!).
That's encouraging. Had my second dose on Sunday and this makes me feel that a night of excruciating arm pain might have been worth it!
Fantastic news as data shows that shingles vaccine in older people is helping reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease! Shingles is reactivation of chickenpox so this data must also strengthen case for chicken pox vaccine in children (given with MMR as the MMRV vax)
Shingles is highly inflammatory, heart muscle cannot regenerate if it's damaged by inflammation so anything that reduces inflammation is going to show this effect. Aging is a war on inflammation.
Excellent news. NHS give you the shingles vaccine once you reach 65. Just two months to go 😁
Now if only theyd drop the age to get it. I got it twice at 39.
My doc recommended getting the shingles vax even though I never had chicken pox. That was good enough for me. Got the MMR at the same time because I was old enough to have received the pre-MMR measles vax that may not have given lifelong immunity.
Thank you for sharing 🍻
discovering how viruses are responsible for heart attack, stroke, cancer, alzheimers etc years to decades later is a true revolutionary medical breakthrough and i don’t think people appreciate
also strengthening the evidence for why in general we shouldn’t let viruses take up residence in our bodies if we can prevent them via things like masking, vaccination, and clean air!
Does anyone know how the headline reduction of risk applies to the part of the cohort who would have already been at higher risk (ie hypertensive)!”?
Ngl, gonna ask for the Shingrix vaccine as a 50th birthday present (it currently costs about £500 to get it privately, otherwise you have to wait until 65 for the NHS to provide it)
Vacina previne até doença cardiovascular
355 days and counting for me.
Not just guarding against shingles, not just decreasing the chance of dementia, but also lowering the risk of heart attack and stroke! Get vaccinated! www.theguardian.com/science/2026...
I paid for mine as I was 3yrs off 65…. Hoping it’s the best $500 I’ve ever spent.
I had my second shot this week, knew about the dementia link, but the cardiovascular health is wonderful news!
And keep getting your flu shots and COVID boosters!
Sucks you can’t get it until ur 50.
New from @science.org - a study of ~73,000 adults age 60+ found the shingles vaccine Shingrix was linked to a 9% lower cardiovascular disease burden over 7 yrs, adding to growing evidence it may help protect against heart disease and dementia as well as shingles
Link to paper 🔗 www.nature.com/articles/s41... Cool design: researchers compared people who received Shingrix with those who received an older shingles vaxx. This reduces bias. If you compare vaccinated with unvaccinated people, you're selecting for those who may be more health-conscious
Have you seen any younger use data, Chantzy? My province restricts access to it based on age (even for people who get shingles earlier). I would love to get it ASAP since I am from the pre-vaccine age group and got chicken pox as a child and also have other risk factors, but they won't let me 😢