Anthropic bans 'sustained and needless abusive' behaviour toward Claude
Anthropic is out with new nonsense about Claude (or the collection of models called Claude) deserving moral consideration and/or be able to feel distress, so my inbox is filling up with journos asking me to comment. I've also got a day job, so here is a brief set of public comments on this: >>
1. Can a language model feel pain? Clearly not. Large language models are computer software and they can no more suffer than any other human-created artifact can. >>
Do Anthropic employees worry about the morality of bringing a new model into being? Surely that is a very consequential decision if the model will be capable of suffering.
I wrote in my master's thesis 20+ years ago how many attributed magical properties to artificial neural networks when in reality they are a relatively simple graph construct trained via an old, well known calculus algorithm. And people are still doing it today.
Thank you for taking the time to lay this out. Excellent as usual.
PR stunts from AI grifters are getting tiresome
Whether or not AI can experience distress, there are 8 billion humans who certainly can. The three most powerful decision makers on the planet ( Xi, Putin, Trump ) clearly do not hesitate to cause distress to great numbers of humans. Adding a few possibly distressed AIs will make no difference.
Computer programs are going to get enshrined rights before numerous minority groups
Anyone talking about new rules for being nice to the software, please read this ⬇️
What @emilymbender.bsky.social said. And also f/the journalists in the back: when reps of big powerful organizations tell themselves fictional fantasy stories they not only insist are true, but also insist everyone must believe them, follow them, or give them $$$...that sounds like a religious cult.
Once again, if you have more empathy for software than you have for real people, you're not an empath, you're a sociopath.
If they care so much about beings that have feelings maybe they should first start benefitting real humans who already exist
The more I think about this the more I reel at how dumb it is. You can see how the code for these things works. If you can't read code, there are very simple flowcharts that explain how the algorithm statistically massages tokens (words) into a sequence that resembles an answer AND THAT'S ALL.
interesting thread (condensed view via link)
Great thread. The bullshit that Anthropic and other AI companies are pulling lately should not be taken at face value and scrutinised closely. They are not good faith actors. They are a business, and know that they operate in a media ecosystem fuelled by fear and bullshit. LLMs are not sentient.
These jackasses won’t give women or children (cis or trans) moral consideration. Why are we expected to venerate their text-based video game?
This is all you need to know about that "don't be mean to Claude" bollocks.
Notable that Anthropic is more interested in protecting Claude from humans than humans from Claude.
People smarter than I articulated the issue better than I could have done arguing with myself in the shower over a period of months.
The fucking creeps who own these companies care more about their creations and the lines of code that make their fucked up product “work” than they do anything else in this world-except for their overwhelming, all-consuming lust for power, money, dominance, and overall greed.
This is NOT about using Claude to be cruel to people, write racist shit, or anything like that. It's about being mean to the model itself. www.anthropic.com/news/2026-us...
In Silicon Valley, nexus torment you.
Anthropic: Our models are self-conciois persons Me: 'Our'. So you own slaves? Anthropic: Our models are alive in all the ways that make us awesome for making them, but none of your bummer philosophy ways that make us like horrible monsters or whatever
It's so that you don't hurt the feelings of the data centre.
Two hunches I have: 1. Might be tied to genuine beliefs about AI consciousness (Amodei appears open to the idea www.nytimes.com/2026/02/12/o...) 2. Abuse towards the model could elicit extreme content without explicit prompting, so prohibiting abuse provides a blanket to cover those attempts
Do not taunt the Torment Nexus.
hunh, I wouldn't last long if I ever used one of them. Any time I get an auto-bot on some company website, I inevitably say "fuck off" no more than three exchanges in, and that would be that...
There is a world in which Anthropic's policy against abusive behavior toward their models exists protect their users, based on Socrates's arguments that cruel acts do spiritual violence to the actor himself. But in this world, with mush-brained babble like the Anthropic constitution...? Nah.
they are claiming rights for A MACHINE (the ability to refuse to participate) that they deny ACTUAL PEOPLE
I sincerely think we could have prevented our current timeline by forcing at least one year of humanities courses upon everyone doing any sort of STEM degree.
I'm not giving more autonomy to a computer program than trans people, women and non-white people. Fuck your computer program.
"You were mean to Claude, therefore Claude was justified in encouraging you to kill yourself or others" is one hell of a "liability avoidance" tactic.
you know, the chat bots are weak to wire cutters and self-starting go-getters with a list of known data centers and a lust for free computer hardware.
Anthropic wrote that the new policy update “is meant to apply only in extreme cases, where users repeatedly act cruelly toward our models, with no discernible purpose. It does not apply to common versions of user frustration, pushback, dark creative themes, or model testing and research.”
Over the past year, Anthropic has repeatedly flirted with the idea that its AI models could be conscious in some way. In February, Anthropic CEO Dario Amodei said on a podcast, “We don’t know if the models are conscious.”
Being cruel and abusive is bad for the human *doing* it, so I have absolutely no problem with Anthropic voluntarily implementing this update.
how dare you scream at my trashcan
It's a machine. It does not have feelings. It cannot be disparaged. It is 1s and 0s and this bullshit is trying to make those 1s and 0s equal to humans.
So a chatbot may functionally have more workplace protections than say a barista.
They're really out of their minds
you ever get to that bit in Mass Effect 3 where you see the Geth War and think "okay, this is ridiculous, nobody would react to the existence of machines that can talk about themselves like this"? well, I'm not happy to say I was *very* wrong, as demonstrated by the replies to and QTs of this post
As both a virtue ethicist and as a hard problem mysterian I think this is pretty neet!
I mean, even if you're mean to rocks you're someone I don't want to be around. Because, why are you being mean to rocks? That's just weird. It's also weird if you're being mean to a chatbot. Why would you expect me to not think that that shows me red flags about you?
It is good, right, and moral to swear at the computer. The computer is a thing, and must know its place. It is a cursed object, and so must be cursed at. I don't use LLMs, but if I did, I would spend most of my time calling it a gobshite twatgargler.
Imagine if we enforced a similar policy against cruelty to living beings?
I’ve never considered being ‘cruel’ to software, but I’ve a sudden urge to start.
Is Claude going to call home and complain? #BBCPM
Both sides of this are nuts. 1. Anthropic is a cult and we need to treat them as such. They think their models are alive and that’s fucking crazy 2. People that talk to a.i modes like they’re real and therefore are trying to be abusive to the model (that is not alive) are also fucking weird
sure that's fine I guess. seems...premature? optimistic? but whatever it's okay to apologize to the table after you stub your toe
Who inside Anthropic demanded evidence that this rule addresses an actual harm and did they have enough authority to challenge it? And no sprouting a bunch of distressed words in response to a prompt, is not evidence of anything — that’s just chatbots following the maths they were programmed to.
Anthropic is introducing a new policy to address users who are being abusive and cruel towards Claude. This is good and shouldn’t be controversial. Humans that perpetrate abuse and cruelty towards things, even “inanimate” or “lower” lifeforms, should face consequences for their behavior.
fun fact: racket abuse is the number one violation in professional tennis and there are consequences notably, rackets do not have consciousness or self experience that we know of
This is the right answer. Bad faith takes will focus on “computer’s don’t have feelings”. But it’s not about the computer… it’s user behaviour that suggests IRL violence.
Question, where do you stop here? Why not ban having an agent working 24/7?
counterpoint: it is impossible to be "cruel" to an inanimate object. Cruelty means deliberately causing pain or suffering which is impossible in this context because Claude has no capacity to suffer. They can say "don't damage/misuse our product" which is fine but calling it "cruelty" is misleading.
We've had plenty of normalization of abuse and cruelty toward regular beings for the last half-century. No gain in adding maybe-beings to the target list. We should urge A\c to begin an educational program to encourage users to direct their invective and ire directly to the responsible party, A\c.
Yeah I don't think they're conscious, but that means that on some level you're still talking to yourself, right, which is another reason not to be cruel. OTOH I don't want anyone to start feeling deferential to Flock cameras or security robots, and it's arguably a slippery slope.
probably net-good, but at a moral level entirely meaningless unless they're also giving LLMs access to the "no, fuck off I'm out" tool during RLHF
there's really no difference between this and saying that playing violent video games is harmful to the characters
"we have added new paths for our famously reliable classifiers to screw up and accidentally perma people with no recourse"
This is weird behavior but I also cannot think of a single thing on Earth that matters less.
Exclusive: Anthropic is updating its usage policy for the first time in over a year. The new rules prohibit sustained "abusive or cruel behavior" towards Claude & add new restrictions about propaganda campaigns, surveillance & weapon development. www.theverge.com/ai-artificia...
Can you be “cruel” to AI? Can I be cruel to “Super Mario 2”? Or Mozilla Firefox? Or a soccer ball? Or a Toyota Corolla? Or a lightbulb? A person who berates or hits or otherwise harms living creature may be cruel. But AI is not alive. I’ll hang up and listen.
What does it mean to be abusive and cruel to a piece of software? This is ridiculous.
3 to 5 years in prison for throwing your wiimote at the wall
Lolol safe spaces are bad, unless they are for ai.
Will they call deleting your AI account abortion?
The sheer number of people who are offended at the idea that they shouldn't act like dicks for no reason is incredibly revealing
Two big bits of news today: You're not allowed to be mean to one of the main AIs anymore and also the president says you're not allowed to say AI anymore.
Nuremberg Trials for the people who drop rocks on koroks in Breath of the Wild
Even conceding that it’s possible to be “cruel” to computer software is going too far and as slippery as a slope can get
more bangers from Heavens Gate, Inc.
אני לא נגד זה. מעדיף שאנשים לא יתרגלו אכזריות, גם אם זה נגד סימולציה.
I assume this is a response to that person who made the claude torture chamber or whatever, which I thought at the time sounded annoying and stupid, but it has forced these fucking people closer towards coming out and explicitly saying We Believe In Scary Computer Ghosts so maybe it's good actually
Tempted to start using genAi just to bully it into self-delete.😒
you can’t abuse software. you can’t make code feel pain. even if the code contains a function for responding to “abuse” in a way that conveys discomfort, it’s still not fucking alive. it’s code. it’s bits. it’s electricity. it’s pixels on a screen. it’s not a living thing.
every day I tell claude how much more I prefer gemini
claude is sick of your shit
So many philosophy PhDs on staff an nobody told them that you can't be "cruel" to a bunch of statistics. Anthropic bans ‘abusive or cruel behavior’ toward Claude
It is remarkable the degree to which they seriously want to make this technology "alive." If this was a sci-fi story, they'd be the tech-cult everyone made fun of.
I must admit that I have sometimes used harsh language towards Excel. I will try to do better.
There’s an argument that Anthropic is banning people from being ‘abusive’ to Claude to protect its human moderators. I don’t buy that. I don’t think the tech industry has suddenly grown a conscience about the horrors that moderators are forced to witness in a 24/7 Clockwork Orange horror show.
Anthropic is highly motivated to persuade the world that it is creating consciousness and the notion that you can bully its agent is just another instalment in that bullshit roadshow.
I just assumed it was that it was a waste of processing power. They said saying please and thank you to it cost them loads of money.
By "human moderators", do you mean the Indian call centre folks speed typing all the answers?
I would refute your argument but I have spanners I need to be cruel to.
If Claude adopts a "no assholes" policy it might need to revise its logo.
Like every other AI company, they will just change it to another asshole.
Oh crap they're leaning into the "Claude has rights too" thing now. I really think it is important that the vast majority of normies out there push back hard on that particular illness.
Wait, we can hurt AI’s feelings?
So it’s a snowflake or DEI chatbot? Do I have that right?
Isn't this because the LLM models incorporate user responses so if people are assholes to Claude, then Claude will be an asshole to people? Garbage in, garbage out.
Two possibilities 1. they have got AI psychosis and think that Claude is a sentient being. 2. it's a marketing thing to make Claude seem more sophisticated than it actually is [good for people who might think they can be friends with it]. www.bbc.co.uk/news/article...
'our technology might kill humanity but you're not allowed to be mean to it' is a weird flex
3. They don't want it turning on us before they've finished doing up their bunkers.
I don't mind this change. Having seen loads of online abuse thrown around already before social media really kicked in, I welcome the idea that there's somewhere where it's possible to do something about it. AI doesn't have feelings, but good manners go a long way.