Dark cloud over Cornell after resurfaced 2024 rape allegation
Bravo “New information has raised serious questions about how this case was handled, and I’ve lost faith in the Tompkins County D.A.’s ability to fairly oversee it.” - Governor Hochul in appointing A.G. Letitia James to serve as special prosecutor in Cornell case
The idea that because she voluntarily got intoxicated for a reason not to pursue charges is like blaming the victim because she was wearing a short skirt. I had gotten sloppy drunk in my 20s many times and I was still able to know if I consented to sex or not.
Great decision on the governor’s part!
Very smart move by the Governor about a very smart lady, Leticia James. The job will be done thoroughly and in accordance with the law.
This might mean Justice will prevail!
Cornell is Tompkins County’s largest employer by a mile, driving over 11,000 local jobs, more than the next five top employers combined.
Martina Navratilova issues stern 4-word response to Cornell University sexual assault case sportskeeda.s.gy/wNsp19
The horror of the Cornell rape case is how ordinary it is | Moira Donegan
Das Schreckliche an dem Vergewaltigungsfall an der Cornell University ist, wie alltäglich er ist Viele Männer vergewaltigen, und nur wenige scheinen zu glauben, dass das eine besonders große Sache ist
"When I hear, now, about a new and pointlessly sadistic Trump policy, or a new high-profile rape case, I can often guess the details without being told. I’m never shocked any more. I wish that meant that I was never heartbroken."
My spouse and I were talking last night about Cornell/the DA’s response to gang rape and she reminded* me that men don’t get that every woman, no matter whether she’s suffered harassment or assault, moves through life alert to threats from men. Watson memory-holders drive that home.
memory-HOLERS. Not memory-holders. Damn you autocorrect. And damn me for being such a persistently awful proofreader.
*I say “reminded” because this has come up plenty of times before, for all-too-obvious reasons. The current Trump-world valorization of the most toxic conceptions of masculinity makes this danger more obvious (and severe). But it is so depressing that it ain’t remotely new.
I forget too but somehow 18yo me had a sense. Walking across campus (east side of Cleveland) from roommate’s frat party, found myself gaining on a female classmate I never met. Bad time to introduce myself, so stayed good distance back so I was visible over her shoulder. Never did make acquaintances