ProPublica starts test private schools in Arkansas and West Virginia
I've been a reporter for a long time and this might be the strangest thing I've ever done. We've been reporting on privatization of schools this year and found that just about anyone can open a private school in most states. So we asked, Could reporters do it?
With @jodiscohen.bsky.social and @jenniferberryhawes.bsky.social and a team of local reporters across three states, we conducted an experiment in establishing private and microschools. And you can see for yourself what it takes -- just take this quiz by @zisiga.bsky.social.
This greatly disturbs me as an educator, school board member, parent, and citizen. Thanks for your investigation and reportong.
As we see with MAGA there is no segment of the population easier to manipulate than the poorly educated. The goal of the far right is to have generations of citizens who have no critical thinking skills.
I know of a private school near me. There is only 1 faculty member and 1 administrator. They are father and son. The son is 18 years old with no college education. Yes, it’s a religious school and a total scam.
Christian supremacists use this to “open” their homeschools.
Many private schools have LESS academic standards than public schools. They’re corporate greed at its worst! — from a retired public school teacher
My @propublica.org colleagues have no business running a private school for kids. And yet they were easily able to start schools in two states -- with a third ProPublica Academy pending that would be located inside a North Carolina bar.
I don’t know, teachers may be interested in a school located in a bar.
“State law in Arkansas doesn’t require much to open a private school, nothing about teacher skills or what kids learn. But it does require that all schools display an American flag” Holy shit
a new journalism school sounds great. what a cool initiative!
“No one from any of the states asked us about our backgrounds or qualifications, though West Virginia did ask for proof of a high school diploma. No one questioned what we plan to teach or how we would measure whether students are learning.”
And with The Assembly in North Carolina, we filed an online notice of intent to open a private school at Ponysaurus Brewing Co. in Durham, while perched on its metal bar stools, eyeing glasses of a crisp kolsch.
Almost funny if it were not so awful. Laws surrounding charter schools need to be fixed.
It started with a question: If it was so easy to start a private school in some states — and even access public money — could we as @propublica reporters do it? Find out what @jenniferberryhawes.bsky.social, @jsmithrichards.bsky.social and I learned: www.propublica.org/article/prop...
I’d go to Propublica school
projects.propublica.org/private-scho... I chose the “worst” option to each question. Created a school I can’t imagine anyone any parent finding acceptable. Sadly, it still showed I could open this school in nine states. Would be laughable if it wasn’t so disturbing.
I interviewed to teach English at a microschool. The woman who interviewed me told me she didn't know what English teachers did before she founded the microschool. Not specifically about your article but I thought this was a good thread to share that experience.
Why does this not surprise me? We are a nation of homeschoolers.
You just have to be a mom and presto chango you’re an expert. My high school dropout nieces did this.
And can trust that someone who knows something about education and running a school has vetted them, though, right???
"State law in Arkansas doesn’t require much to open a private school, nothing about teacher skills or what kids learn. But it does require that all schools display an American flag, and we wanted to follow the rules." Unbelievable story. Also, immediately ordering the ProPublica Academy pencils.
I’d send my kid to a ProPublica school, they’d learn critical thinking and research skills - bring it!
And after years of rule by the guardians of pedophiles even groomers and traffickers can have control of children for hours at a time with no oversight or accountability