Padres sweep Cubs, Gavin Sheets’ pinch‑hit homer seals NL Wild Card
Clay Holmes never pitched in the NLWCS for the Cubs against the Padres. Tyrone Taylor went 1 for 1 with a single as a pinch hitter. The Mets get to keep Jefferson Rojas anyway.
I was under the impression that Holmes was acquired to pitch in the post-season for the Cubs this year. It's extremely on brand for them that he only got up to warm up at the very end of the game tonight
They traded Owen Caissie, Jefferson Rojas and Moises Ballesteros for pitchers who got a total of four outs in the postseason. Woof.
Can’t hear you over PCA, can you repeat yourself?
None of the trades that were made at the deadline helped this team make a push for a better playoff position. Also, none of them did anything in the playoffs to put them in a position to win. Really frustrating and the Cubs minor league system is near the bottom now.
Cubs are happy to cope in PCA
And it Ends with a Whimper: Padres 4, Cubs 1 — September 30, 2026 https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2026/10/01/cubs-padres-ebs-wcg2/
Whimper still doesn't feel pathetic enough of a descriptor for whatever the hell this was
You cannot judge anything on two games, and the Padres pitching would have swept any of the other WCS teams except the maybe the Yanks (it would probably be 1-1 although possibly two close wins for the Yanks). But as a Cubs and Sox fan, this was painful!
This Padres and Cubs series has been fun. Well, I guess unless you’re a Cubs fan
I wanted it to be fun, but this is like the torture scene in Reservoir Dogs.
Lololol I thought I posted this
Who would’ve guessed in April that the Chicago team advancing in the playoffs would be the White Sox?
So we're going to be the only game tomorrow?