Dame Esther Rantzen dies aged 86
Humanists UK mourns Dame Esther Rantzen (1940–2026) Esther was a great champion of human dignity. She approached her final years with the same fearless determination that defined her career of advocacy, using her own experience to shine a light on the suffering caused by our outdated laws.
She understood that the right to choose a peaceful death is a fundamental human freedom. Her legacy is not just in the charities she founded, but in the compassion she awakened in the public consciousness regarding the end of life. She changed the debate, and we are deeply grateful for her courage.
She’ll find Victor Lewis-Smith & give him hell.
What a woman and what an inspiration! ❤️
Esther Rantzen hosts Sir Nicholas Winton, who saved hundreds of children from the Holocaust youtu.be/OqqbM1B-mPY?...
I was in the audience for that - I was the first newspaper reporter to interview Nicholas Winton, thanks to Esther.
My son's school had Winton's son Nick as a speaker earlier this month. He showed the footage from That's Life and, as happens every time I see it, the tears came. I remember seeing it when it first broadcast when I was still a child. It was incredible to me even then.
I always have to take a breath when I see this story, as it is not the full truth. He did a great thing, but never claimed to work alone. He worked with Doreen Warriner, Trevor Chadwick and others, who took much greater risks in Prague, while he was in London. Their story is largely forgotten.
Unforgettable piece of (television) history.
This is such a stunning moment.
A truly exceptional bit of telly
This must count as one of the most moving things ever to be broadcast. Even thinking of it brings a tear to my eye.
A genuine humanitarian. All those children. All those young refugees. Separated from their parents because the Daily Mail, politicians, and others in 1930s UK, refused refuge to their parents, thousands of whom died in the Holocaust.
I have watched this a million times and probably will one million more. Do the right thing and you can help change the world.
That’s Life was wild. It would be a segment about a dog who can say “sausages” and then *this*
Look at what one person can do. Think of what you can do where you are, and just do it. Even if it feels so small in the face of such daunting odds. There are people now who need your help, whatever you can do. Live in such a way that you don't grow old wishing you'd done more.
Seen it so many times (starting with the original broadcast) but it never fails to move me. What a wonderful, modest man.
I volunteered for Childline for a decade at uni and I know firsthand a snapshot of how many lives Esther Rantzen changed. Her later years were known for assisted dying but her legacy will be giving vulnerable children someone to listen to and care. www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio...
There are some lovely messages from people involved in Childline on the NSPCC's tribute page.
And she was a powerful voice for protections of consumers, of citizens, and of the vulnerable and in need. When the bbc championed such voices. And I would have disagreed with her on so many things in politics, but we'd have agreed on the things that make a good human. R.I.P. champion.
What a wonderful thing to do. I remember they were always driving to get more staff and funding to meet the volume of calls.
Besides Childline (obvs), that clip of Esther Rantzen getting arrested for obstruction is my favourite thing of hers. The way she rather sardonically responds in that slightly posh put upon way is hilarious. Especially sticking her head out the window. Pernod, ouzo, marmalade and salt all round!
I still remember Esther Rantzen on That’s Life holding up a small ad from a Local Authority in the early 70s advertising for an Equal Pay Officer but offering a lower wage for women. I’m part of generation of teenagers mildly radicalised by amusing trivia.
Do you remember the campaign about kidney beans poisoning? Or am I going mad?
Making a serious point in an amusing way seemed to be her thing
I auditioned for Junior That’s Life and my French exchange student came with me to London. She spoke to him In French and organised a taxi to take us round loads of tourist attractions on the way back to a Euston. Such a kind woman.