Digger reviews: Tom Cruise's climate satire earns mixed notices
There are two good movies with Tom Cruise in them: "Eyes Wide Shut" and "Magnolia' and that's entirely because those directors understand that fundamentally Tom Cruise does not have a soul.
Collateral too, for the precise same reason.
I'll up it to three for _Edge of Tomorrow_ because above/beyond the reasonable execution of the concept you get to see Cruise die in many different ways, which not even the _Mission Impossible_ movies give you.
Interview With The Vampire would like a word
I watched the Firm recently and was like "this guy is supposed to be charming?!"
Never could stand Tom Cruise. One of the worst actors yet Hollywood keeps re casting him for some reason.
He was a great Lestat, similar reasons
Oooh, boy, is DIGGER a missed opportunity. Desperate to be DR. STRANGELOVE but unable to make the satire sharp enough or funny enough. Simultaneously thinks it's smart and the audience is too dumb. Riz Ahmed and John Goodman strike it right. My review is live: thefilmmaven.com/digger-revie...
If you enjoy my thoughts on movies please consider subscribing to The Film Maven (I have a free tier)! Not only do you get my recommends on what you should watch, I also read the pop culture tea leaves the trades aren't covering. TheFilmMaven.com
Writing is a real skill. Even with the biggest stars and massive budget, movies need incisive writing. Strangelove had it. And the restricted mise en scene makes it more effective rather than less. We didn't need unlimited cgi to make Strangelove great. That would have hurt it.
Tonight’s last share! DIGGER is a rough sit but it’s got a great Riz Ahmed performance.
Cruise getting panned makes me happy. Why? He belongs to & promotes a death cult...that seems to exploit children... and protects its leader whose wife VANISHED. Also, he's a d!ck who goes thru A LOT OF trouble to pretend he's not a d!ck. (My fave example: Firing a teen girl b/c [see post below👇👇]
Alejandro G. Iñárritu’s DIGGER is BARDO blended with BIRDMAN, a satire about the didacticism of contemporary satires. It doesn’t work and Tom Cruise is adrift. “It’s instead a sneering premise awaiting a drop of humanism.” My review via @ebertvoices.bsky.social
There are a few spoilers in my review of DIGGER. It was just impossible to write about the movie without, well, writing about the movie.
And now we wait for the “they purposefully made it bad” takes
movie people doing the dead dove "I don't know what I expected" meme
Tom Cruise is not a person who should be allowed to star in a satire. If he wants to star in your satire, it probably needs a heavy rewrite. I like Iñárritu, but this does not shock me either.
"It's excruciatingly painful that this languid, self-satisfied film doesn't work." Exactly the tone I got from the preview; I recoiled from its smugness like a vampire in the sun. No thank you & perhaps read the room re: a "satire" about awful Men hero-ing in on problems they're the cause of
"if the film honed in more acutely on his persona — his elusiveness as a leading man and the crystallized carving of his celebrity identity — there’d be a truly interesting meta-commentary on Cruise’s own insecurities as a performer. But 'Digger' is devoid of substance."
Scroll down 1/3 of the way, and then you get the "wait, *that's* what DIGGER is?" spoiler reveal and, my goodness, it's a jaw dropper.
I have not seen this yet so I have no opinion just supporting the writing
oh very good at long last someone is willing to take the universally-beloved Don't Look Up down a peg maybe some satires are getting more overt and screaming because shit is real real bad and nobody's doing anything about it
"A satire about the didacticism of contemporary satires" is quite a movie to make during an era when satires are rarely financed or made in any art form because corporations stifle them.
This review contains a significant spoiler that is not revealed in the marketing (though it might be far better if it had been). And it opines which Philip Seymour Hoffman film Digger aspires to be but falls short of.
My Globe review of DIGGER is up. I suppose I should have expected that the director of the worst best picture Oscar winner, and the man with an ego so big that you can see it from space, would make a movie so insufferably bad that I needed a stiff drink after it. www.bostonglobe.com/2026/09/29/a...
In addition to the Birdman nonsense, AGI winning Best Director over George Miller for Fury Road is insane even by Oscar standards.
This doesn't surprise me at all. The brief glimpse of the actual movie in the first trailer looked horrible.
So I guess it's not secretly a musical?
Wow! To rise below COCKTAIL and DAYS OF THUNDER and MI:2 is an impressive feat.
i cannot WAIT to see this in vistavision on sunday
The make up was the dead ringer for its badness.
Nearly spit out my drink reading the Editor's Note at the end of this.
‘Digger’ Review: Tom Cruise Gives 110% in This Powerless, Self-Adulating Claptrap www.thewrap.com/creative-con...
"It’s the kind of movie about evil billionaires that evil billionaires would enjoy, which makes it the worst kind of movie about evil billionaires." @williambibbiani.bsky.social is one of the greats
Mortdecai, but if Mortdecai thought it was going to win a bunch of Oscars.
In an effort to understand what I actually wanted from this film, I made this diagram. I needed it to be all top row or all bottom row and it is neither. Does that make sense?
reading about how DIGGER is a movie that hates itself, you, and cinema itself. I’ve already seen MYRA BRECKINRIDGE thanks! * and I enjoyed MYRA
Yeah but then you'll miss the post-credits scene where, late at night, there's a knock at Digger's front door and it's none other than Shelly Miscavige
A wife of someone I work with (not a movie person) said she just saw something on Digger and described it “looks Tom Cruise from Tropic Thunder but not really funny”.
Tom Cruise is no Rex Reed
Hilariously, Warner Bros. appear to have already gone on the defensive with this latest spot for Digger. "Different truths" indeed. www.youtube.com/shorts/77FwS...
We have gone full Megalopolis mode. Unfortunately I saw this movie early. Felt nothing. and as much as I loathe saying it, Megalopolis at least had the decency to be an entertaining garbage fire. Need the making-of documentary now this shit was probably a way more interesting production nightmare.
Didn't Angel Studios try this crap with Animal Farm?
I think I'd be more interested in Digger if the trailer I saw in front of a bunch of movies this year wasn't that really annoying one where they thought showing me a bunch of other Tom Cruise movies for 2 minutes was going to entice me to watch this new one. 😂
TF was up with that? All that montage did was make Digger look linferior by comparison and peek my internet to rewatch his old movies.
The only thing that makes me even remotely interested in this movie is that Jesse Plemons is in it (he seems to be taking roles in good stuff). But why not just hire Sam Rockwell instead of having T Cruise do a Sam Rockwell impression for an entire movie?
Ok I’m so glad I’m not the only one this happened too and was annoyed by. Like a few days ago, largely because of that trailer, I said “the marketing for Digger is making me not want to see Digger.”
I don't think we got that particular trailer in the UK.
Yeah the first few pieces of marketing were wildly uninteresting and made me think the movie was going to suck. Until I saw them finally put out a real trailer