Anthropic launches Claude Sonnet 5.5, now on AWS
Claude 5.5 Sonnet is live and it’s roughly Opus 5.5 but cheaper www.anthropic.com/claude-sonne...
if opus is basically fable and sonnet is basically opus...
added Fable 5.1 for comparison
WTF. Any rumors about what's going on? Did Anthropic discover some new form of distillation or something? It seems like they're getting things to be smaller and cheaper.
Opus still wins on Artificial Analysis. I am curious to see time per task. I suspect Opus will win. Sonnet is going the way of Terra. A neglected middle child.
Except not actually cheaper? At least not in any of the benchmarks they show. Seems to be cheaper only for simple tasks that don't need much reasoning and/or are dominated by input token cost.
I wouldn't say that it's roughly Opus. It seems to have pretty different behavior as it relates to token consumption. Sonnet 5.5 seems to be kind of a token hog, so it's a different style of use. Opus is smart out of the gate, Sonnet works. artificialanalysis.ai/articles/cla...
pacing the frontier by making all the models exactly the same except some are cheaper and faster haiku 5.5 is gonna be great
I give up I don't fucking understand anything
This is why we need at least one frontier lab in Europe... Releasing new models when I want to have a chill evening is just annoying