NHS sets two-year minimum wait for ADHD and autism assessments
As someone with AuDHD, this can mean the difference between life or suicide. And they just decided people can wait *at least* 2 years. www.theguardian.com/society/2026...
The idea of a minimum wait is ridiculous when there are so many people who have been waiting far longer than 2 years already.
this is the way they get any medical minority the UK doesnt like imo
Two years is an incredibly long time for a child. For one thing two years of poor academic performance and increased disciplinary incidents because they need medical help is alot of stress. Fucks sake, I was diagnosed and medicated very quickly as a child and I turned out better than the alternative
These assholes want to kill people. Plain and simple. I'm fuming.
The UK really loves highlighting and then driving home the anarchist critique of single payer state run healthcare
Trans girl with ADHD here, this is what it's like for trans people waiting on HRT, too. Our dystopian capitalism is consistent in how it's killing the vulnerable. The irony, that The Guardian - one of the newspapers that has spread a lot of transphobia - is posting this, is not lost on me
Getting a diagnosis means getting *help*, dubious as that may be under the systems we have to operate within. It means access to counseling and ND affirming care and getting school resources in place. More barriers to care means we’re going to lose kids AND parents and both will suffer needlessly
The NHS needs to either be properly funded and provisioned by this government, or we need a government that will do it.
..... why the fuck does there need to be a "minimum wait"? Like... what is that supposed to accomplish in their minds?
this fucking country hates neurodivergent people. it took me SIX YEARS TOTAL to be diagnosed audhd and that’s a short amount of time compared to ppl i know.
They're going to take healthcare away from neurodivergent people next. Autistic and ADHD kids are in their sights.
lol do you know what i was so close to doing before i finally got my adhd diagnosis and the medication. It saved my life! And I'd had to wait 20 years!
@theguardian.com trotting out some real guff, here. Why are we only looking at boys, in 2026? And what are we comparing it to? The total population of boys (assessed and non assessed?) or the assessed population of boys? And how have assessment rates per population changed? Shit reporting.
And apparently it hasn't occurred to anyone that a better solution is to fucking tax the rich and fund healthcare properly *screaming*
Again Labour continues the attacks against minorities it considers undesireables. Under a "liberal" government no less we've seen a sharp increase of state bigotry, eugenics and cruelty far worse than even the US far right has achieved.
"NHS Impose requirement to live in your desired neurotype for 2 years before being able to seek treatment"
Just wondering how they are gonna justify asking about how we masturbate for these ones as well now...
I wonder if they’ll have to use the toilet aligned with their desired neurotypical in this 2 year period …..
2 years on top of the usual 8 or are they included?
Oh only 2 years! I remember when the waiting time was 4.5 years
...like some kind of "Real Life Experience"? If they don't get all the relevant certs that they lived as a neurodivergent all that time, so they get denied treatment?
EHRC is preparing guidance that will prohibit use of neurotype-spaces that you weren't assigned at birth... In order to protect the sensibilities of vulnerable neurotypicals, via Neurotype Critical campaigning charity Neurotype Matters. HJ states 'AuDHD' is a huge problem to a sane, NT, world'
Whats imposed wait time before any healthcare but rationing healthcare Disgusting
Buddy I've been living it for almost 4 decades, just give me the fucking meds.
Gotta make sure those kids are totally fucked before giving them the solution to what’s fucking their life.
The wait is already longer than that anyway
such an insult to the intelligence of the british public to run the exact same playbook again
Absolutely sickening, what the actual fuck is this shit?? I hate this wanky fucking shit hole island. Just nuke it, it tries its best but now it’s time to put it down, it’s beyond saving.
Wow, they're literally treating them as trans
Chalk this up as another one of those situations where marginalised people warned you about this Labour government, and "centrists" talked over us like the smug morons that they are. Don't trust Labour. Don't trust centrists and liberals.
Buying themselves a couple of years in which to find fake evidence that neurodivergence doesn't exist.
Complaint: People with ADHD are clogging up the benefits system Solution: Remove access to the treatment that helps people with ADHD get and retain jobs it is never about actually solving a policy problem. It is about punishing people.
I've said it before but I'll say it again: The UK's official medical neglect of trans people & ADHDers makes a mockery of the idea it has universal healthcare. Americans often ask: "wow, you must miss the NHS, right?" And I laugh a long, hollow laugh. www.theguardian.com/society/2026...
ADHD & gender dysphoria are among the conditions that have most fucked up my life. I came of age hearing horror stories about the US healthcare system. Denied claims, "pre-existing conditions". Then I came here... & got better healthcare for the problems I actually have than I'd ever had in the UK
I miss the NHS living in Cornwall. I would think most people in the UK miss the NHS.
Still better than zero healthcare. But the UK will lose everything if they keep on their hard right trajectory.
I still support single payer but the NHS has proven that single provider is a terrible system that is not “to the left” of other forms of universal healthcare in any outcomes-focused sense.
Reducing demand for midwives by setting up a 10 month waiting list
This and also the fact that I'd swear to the gods the NHS barely functions.
And I'll also add that assessments for ADHD and Autism are recommended under the NHS before referral to a gender clinic. So a 13 year old trans kid asking for a referral would need to wait two years for an assessment for autism before they can even be referred and assessed for gender dysphoria.
The NHS is not our friend: it is putting trans and neurodivergent children in harm’s way, just to sate a political lust to force them out of the system, and do untold damage to them. One day, I hope we will see these bigots exposed and held accountable by a public inquiry.
Purpose of a system is what it does. It’s despicable
This article opens by saying there's a 'surging demand' for 'diagnoses of neurodiversity'. I'm sorry to inform you the neurodiversity rate amongst the population is 100%. What you probably meant was 'neurodivergence'. This is not just me being pedantic... www.theguardian.com/society/2026...
Elemental mistakes like that are the brown M&Ms that tip you off to how informed the journalist is & how well they've done their research. I see daily that the majority of media about ADHD & autism the public sees is made by people who don't know the basics. & it is shaping public opinion.
Yes, this does my head in! Neurodiverse =/= neurodivergent! My kid has been on the waiting list for an autism assessment since P1 and we've been told we're lucky if he'll get it by the time he finishes primary school. Luckily his school are amazing, but it's infuriating!
Yes and also the demand is for assessments, not diagnoses.
When I moved from inpatient psych nursing to outpatient nursing, I discovered there was a massive blind spot in my education where it comes to ADHD and autism. You don't need to be hospitalized for those conditions so nursing school basically glosses over them
Would 'neurodivergence' include anyone whose mind diverges from the assumed norm? Including those of us with cognitive variations such as aphantasia, SDAM, synaesthesia, etc, as well as those with neurodevelopmental differences such as ADHD, autism, dyslexia, etc?
Eh, why be accurate in your language when talking about mental health, right? 😑
Excellent thread, and university EDI committees take note: we are neurodivergent (and proudly so).
I am so SO sick of this lazy use of language, and yes, I'm autistic, so I'm not going to let it go
two year wait is better than the NINE year wait my partner has had so don't threaten me with a good time lol
"Elemental mistakes like that are the brown M&Ms that tip you off to how informed the journalist is" - banging point by Tim, below 👇
Deliberately leaving neurodivergent waiting years for a diagnosis is sickening. Imagine if this was other forms of diagnosis, and the uproar it'd cause. Yet again, we are treated as if we don't matter, as if we don't exist. We need more investment into diagnosis. www.theguardian.com/society/2026...
This is just pandering to the hateful right-wing press and government parsimony regarding 'unpopular' healthcare needs. Awful, prejudiced policy.
What are they hoping for, these people will suddenly change their mind about being autistic or having ADHD. Or more cynically that in those two years some people waiting will die.
Two year minimum wait for cancer assessment next perhaps. Then for exsanguination.
And of COURSE the image is of small children. I bet the article is full of the usual "parents and carers" crap. I am autistic and in my 60s. My parents are dead. Fuck infantalization.
They do it to trans people already, and it's a lot more than 2 years
So because the NHS, and especially NHS mental health care, is now so desperately underfunded and underwater, we're enforcing a TWO YEAR adhd and autism assessment block? Are we assuming the problem goes away in two years? What's everyone supposed to do? www.theguardian.com/society/2026...
What are people gonna do? Go private? Is that still ok? What do we think is gonna happen in 2028 when/if you open the doors again?
Masking autism is a simple and harmless exercise for autistic adults while autistic children suffer no ill effects from a lack of diagnosis. Not Also the Guardian frames the stats on autism as if the diagnosis numbers suddenly jumped out of the blue instead of recognizing previous underdiagnosis
I was diagnosed with autism when I was 18 months old... And the earlier a child is diagnosed the better it is for helping them!
As soon as the press turn on a group the nhs follow suit
I had incorrectly believed that wait time targets for healthcare were supposed to be the *upper* threshold of how long it's supposed to take, but we've apparently turned that on its head. I suppose it's much easier to hit targets where the goal is failure.
this kills people. and that's the point. "desistance" through death
obviously this is hellish for everyone but i can’t stop thinking about the kids this will affect parents try to get you assessed age six, nope, you have to wait *an entire third of your life so far* on top of that to even see someone?
maybe the kids will stop being autistic if you wait a bit
Guess that’s it for me trying to get an ADHD diagnosis.
NHS bodies in England impose two-year minimum wait for ADHD and autism assessments www.theguardian.com/society/2026...
Great, that means waiting times are now shorter
Same playbook as with gender referrals... deny assessment/treatment in the hope the "problem" will go away. *YOU WILL BE NORMAL! YOU WILL, YOU WILL!"
Jesus CHRIST. If The Child had had to wait two years for her ASD diagnosis that would have meant two years of lost education. She was not able to access the primary school curriculum without extensive accommodations and an aide.
Is this like it used to be with gender recognition services? You have to live in your chosen neurotype for two years to demonstrate commitment, and then they’ll see you? Join a niche hobby and dye your hair blue?
The idea is to make you give up. If you've made it this far, then they don't want to help you, they'd rather you just struggle and fail quietly.
another interesting paragraph slipped in here - ICBs also introducing minimum waits for other conditions
Oh you have a lump in your boob? We’ll check that out in 2 years.
Lu was the youngest person in the NE when he was diagnosed. The support we got then is why despite Covid bringing the wheels off, we’ve been able to make this transition smoothly.
I hate Wes Streeting. We all knew this was coming because he believes in pseudoscience bullshit. It was telegraphed for all of Starmer’s reign.
if i had to wait 2 years after the onset disabling burnout for help, I'd be toast.