Hideo Kojima says Sony canceled PHYSINT over a Zoom call
I saw the statement from Kojima Productions today — it doesn’t dispute any of our reporting so I don’t have much to add there. But I will add that (as I said a couple weeks ago), the Physint cancellation came after several months of negotiations between KoPro and Sony. Wasn’t exactly out of nowhere
Sony sucks. I’m team Kojima
From what I’ve seen in Kojima’s post, he doesn’t refute any of the points you mentioned. However, it is interesting that he said the cancellation came out of nowhere,whereas you point out that negotiations were already underway before that happened.I imagine more details will gradually come to light
So the cancellation wasn't as sudden as Kojima said bruh
Glad to have this context. from a consumer view point sometimes it can feel like these things happen suddenly. That is the way it was reported.
So the article Bloomberg wrote was merely speculation, like Kojima Productions said? It wasn't the result of direct interaction with Sony?
Sounds like they don't want to burn bridges to me.
I asked Hideo Kojima what happened. Sony canceled Physint over a Zoom call. www.washingtonpost.com/style/2026/0...
That's it? They just went "panic, cancel it" and called him and said GGs. What the fuck is going on over there
Sony continues their current streak to horrible upper management decisions to the point where either some major change happened in the c-suite or they are consulting AI as if they are the US military.
Unrelated to the story, but how am I supposed to read this article, when this is what is presented to me on my normal phone using a standard chrome browser.
A Sony games documentary would be just fascinating. Cancelling their most well known/prestigious director and having a strategy of focusing on console exclusives is just an idk.... interesting? choice lol
I remember about 10 years when Geoff Keighley cried about Konami's mistreatment of Kojima at the Game Awards. Will he publicly denounce Sony for this? Probably not.
He should genuinely be allowed to kill someone over this
Theyre WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE. WHAT DO YOU MEAN OVER ZOOM
concerning. but also, oh, this is how i hear about that. okay. let these people cook please.
Sony really hit him with the
I appreciate this way of thinking.
the true what the fuck moment here is being reminded that this zoom call was made from ACROSS THE FUCKING STREET
Man, Sony sure fucked up here, couldn't even tell him in person about it. Good on Kojima for not wanting to let his staff down though and going immediately to try and solve the issue and get funding back tho.
Wait the fuck a moment... These fuckers live across the street from each other. What do you mean the breakup was over a phone call???
HE GOT FIRED THE SAME WAY I DID HE JUST LIKE ME FR
At this point I can’t read anything going on here as anything but a brand having a quick and loud death. The Bungie acquisition and the choices made from it have put them in an unrecoverable position. If Wolverine is struggling then their future games with more divisive reveals are screwed.
If it can happen to Kojima, it can happen to anyone.
The most interesting nugget here is that Kojima not only stated that the decision wasn't said to be made for budgetary or milestone reasons (the game is still in prepro, his last game with Sony just came out & Physint was always slated after OD), but all that Sony gave NO clear reason to him. Wild.
This is obviously fueled by the uncountable loss of Sonys 20 different Concords, but I get the gut feeling that this was done purely due to some company politics I imagine Hulst is a few steps away from being in a cartel beheading video and Physn't was clearly his baby as far as Sony was concerned
Herman Hulst's and the boogers who carry his flame have got to be the most spinless and inept businessmen since Sam Bankman-fried .