Buffalo Bills open Highmark Stadium with 'O Canada' for Canadian fans
Buffalo Bills' home opener more than 60,000 NFL fans stood together as the iconic Canadian band Barenaked Ladies performed "O Canada", marking the first time in franchise history that the Canadian national anthem was performed at a Bills home opener.
That’s nice. We’re still boycotting.
As an NHL fan I have long enjoyed hearing the Canadian Anthem played - to hear it at an NFL game, and right now, is wonderful !
It is a recognition, that among other things, Canadians in southern Ontario (you know on the shores of Lake Ontario) are huge supporters of the Bills and large season ticket holders. I used to go to at least one Bills game every year with my father and brother. No more.
We 💙🇨🇦! We also stand to guard 🇨🇦
A band aid to repair the broken trust with Canada a great start this Canadian respects keep up the good work we actually appreciate there are still good Americans i personally do not tar all Americans with the same brush hopefully the good one win the fight for their democracy
Go CANADA!!! I live in a very red area. I went to a school thing for my granddaughter and they played the national anthem. Now, I REFUSE to stand as long as that orange piece of shit is in office. I expected backlash and was shocked when I saw way more folks sitting than standing. It gave me hope! 💙
I'm a diehard dolphins fan with a deep hatred for the bills, but I love them for doing this. 🇨🇦❤️
Is it weird to have a swell of patriotism for a country that isn't your own? This also reminds me that Trump once tried to buy the Bills, but was rejected after it was discovered he'd faked some financial statements.
This kills two birds with one stone. It is a rebuke and mockery of Donald Trump, and it honors our Canadian friends and tells them we're not like the fascist in the White House.
We don’t have better friends than Canada, and we better bend over backward to get them back. Only Alanis knows how we do that, but we better do it.
I first saw BNL in concert practically 30 years ago. I even remember the opener, some cool looking dude named Duncan. I wonder what he’s up to . . . . Oh.
Show some love for Buffalo, New York, where Bills fans gave “O Canada” a standing ovation last night. That was a beautiful moment. 💙🍁
Here from New York Rebel I have never been prouder to say I live here 💙❤️. The Bills, Terry Pegula and the people of Buffalo stood up for our friends and neighbors 🇨🇦 and gave Trump a great big
I stand with Buffalo and Canada. And with all other Americans who love and respect our next-door neighbors.
As someone from Western New York, this is Buffalo behavior. We don't play about that shit. #billsmafia
Buffalo and Canada have a very good relationship. We love crossing the border.
Buffalo Sabres... my favorite team right after The Leafs. Buffalo has always been Toronto's sister city. It always will be for me, no matter what happens in the final act of the "President Piggy Shit Show." Buffalo girls rock!!❤️🩹
Such a beautiful way to open a stadium and team supported and loved by both American and Canadian fans.
REMINDER: Barenaked Ladies are singing “O Canada” Canada’s national anthem at tonight’s Buffalo Bills home opener game tonight! #GoLadies #GoBills
MAGA is gonna lose their 💩. 😆
The Bills have such a loyal following in Toronto & southern Ontario that the team has played 7 games in the city to a packed stadium. Many Canadians are season ticket holders. 🔹 G O B I L L S🔹
I do really respect the folks in Buffalo. They were very much on the path of one of those rust belt cities that was their country tends to ignore and let die. They said no and have managed an economic and cultural revival in spite of that. Good people, good friends. Kudos. 🍻
I’d go if I had a million dollars.
Western New Yorkers will always welcome Canadians no matter what the dictator in chief says! Oh Canada, glorious and free!
Buffalo is Toronto South, and Toronto is Buffalo North. There are whole sections dedicated for Canadians when you go to a Bills game.
Americans love our Canadian friends, family and neighbors. It is the ROGUE PRESIDENT AND HIS DESPICABLE REGIME who hates our allies and is trying to sabotage our relationships.
Jamie , pull that up: Why are we glazing the Buffalo Bills now ? #CDNPoli #ElbowsUp
Buffalo Bills Fans Sang O Canada Last Night And A Handful Of Fragile Americans Completely Lost Their Minds deanblundell.substack.com/p/buffalo-bi...
Detroit Lions fans sang it too. Trump is not going to ruin the good relationships we experience at the US-Canadian border.
I hope the Bills take on the Sabres tradition of singing both anthems at every home game
Well the fragiles need NOT be at a #hockey game at all, then.
Awww…well ain’t that just too bad for those losers…tsk tsk…
That’s nice. We’re still boycotting.
Love you Canada!!! No matter what! And forever!!!
The ones who can't read got upset
As a Buffalonian, I believe the Canadian national anthem should be sung at all of our sporting events (shout out to the Sabres). But also, let’s not forget that BOTH teams that played last night come from Canadian border cities. We will always love Canada 🇺🇸 ❤️ 🇨🇦
People forget that you can WALK to Canada from parts of Buffalo. Of course Buffalo franchises have lots of Canadian fans, and it's not somehow un-American to respect those fans. Frankly, I question both the intelligence and the morality of anyone who has a problem with this.
“One lifelong fan accused the team of getting political, and demanded to know whether the Leafs play the US anthem at their games. They do, pal. Every single time a US team is in the building, which is most nights. That took me four seconds to confirm, and I didn’t even need to put my beer down”
I may become a Buffalo Bills fan! I hope they do this at EVERY home game! O 🇨🇦 we stand on guard for there!
I am sure most audiences would vigorously join in. There are some redneck trolls on here, but I think you'll find most Americans genuinely like Canada.
The anthem is never played before a track meet , cross country meet JV football game JV volleyball, JV soccer, not before the school play, not before the band recital. It's not played before every movie or rock concert. Why is it only the varsity and televised sports? WHO CARES.
“A lot of Canadians make up a large portion of our fans,” Bills receiver and Brampton, Ontario, native Joshua Palmer said. “The anthem is a nice gesture. It only makes sense to show your gratitude.” #BuffaloBills www.nytimes.com/athletic/760...
Thanks for the gesture. We’re still boycotting.
Aka. "We and the NFL want your money while we actively act against your best interests. We also don't want our employees to quit. Please don't stop watching sports"
Not all Americans are Trump Nazis.
Pack it up , everyone . All is forgiven now . We can go back to the way things were before , no need to go to Europe for new friends
It's pretty refreshing to see a gesture to us that is simple that, and isn't cover for "We miss your money".
I would point out that Terry Pegula, President of the club and the majority franchise owner, has a Canadian mother, which is kind of interesting and possibly may influence his views on this. He definitely signed off on it.
This was cool to watch. Buffalo Bills celebrate home opener with game of cross-border catch as Barenaked Ladies set to sing O Canada.
Way cool! I'm in Ohio & was at Lake Erie this morning. Thinking of our "cousins" on the north side of the lake. (Pic is gloomy because it was 75F, but humidity was 95% & dew point 75.) But turned behind me & stream looked better. 🙂
My new favourite 🇺🇸 city. (Recent vacancy)
that's really nice.tho buffalo's always had gd relations with the canucks so close.is nothing new.
Barenaked Ladies sing O Canada at Buffalo Bills home opener. Canadian fans cheer as Bills play the Detroit Lions. www.cbc.ca/news/canada/...
The US media refused to cover this....they opened with the US anthem, and ignored the Canadian flag on the field.
No temporary turd in the White House is going to tank decades of friendship between Canadians and sane Americans. Yo, #TACO, put some Canadian maple syrup on that FIFA Peace Prize and shove it up your ass. It may hurt, but you'll smell better...
#BillsMafia. For those of you at the game last: how loud was the crowd singing the Canadian National anthem? In the 400's I couldn't hear BNL because the crowd was singing so loud. Imagine my surprise when I went home to watch the game on DVR they cut out the crowd singing! 😱 what did you hear?
I’m sure it has nothing to do with the game being on @amazonprime.bsky.social which is one of the felon’s money laundering vehicles😂
Censorship in the “LAND OF THE FREE” Ha ha. The land of the fuckwit.
Watched the game last night and we could hear snippets of the crowd singing along loudly, but yeah, it was mostly filtered out.