New wild cat species, the Tilcayo tiger, discovered in Bolivia
Meet the first new cat species discovered in 100 years: Leopardus tilcayo
This is a good time to mention that our rainforest site in Madagascar is home to at least one entirely new species too! Say hello to the adorable Boophis samuelsabini, known only from Ivohiboro! Photo courtesy of Edmund Basham
I am so excited about this but hope people leave these creatures alone!
He doesn't look happy to be found.
it wants to kiss me
How many species have gone extinct and we never knew? 😞
Also a new wave cat
I like that the process of naming this kitty was going to the locals and asking "hey what do you call these?" which is a refreshing change of pace
Can't elaborate on this any further right now, but this is Phase 1
i’m sorry we have to cancel everything except protecting the tiny leopard
i'm sorry but i know somebody has seen this motherfker before today. this is not the face of a hidden gem.
NEW CAT NEW CAT NEW CAT
Great! Now leave it alone!
Tilcayo there a) only weighs three pounds b) will definitely murder you, three pounds or no.
50% do peso corporal desse querido é dos olhos
Except for the vertical stripes and rounded ears, this is face of one of my senior cats anytime I am within a foot of her wet food bowl without filling it. Even minutes after she's eaten.
my my my what big eyeballs you have
BREAKING NEWS: New cat species just dropped! 🧪 What is a tilcayo, exactly? Well, it's a small wild cat in the genus Leopardus and a member of the tiger cat species complex, but it is NOT a tigrina, oncilla, kodkod, Geoffroy's cat... www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/arti...
Just went from unknown to critically endangered in .03 seconds due to its adorable face.
More on the first new cat species discovered in over 100 years, the tilcayo! 🧪 www.instagram.com/reel/DdZMcHA...
New cat! New cat! New cat!
It’s funny how all cats are so recognizably cats in their mannerisms.
Paging @catsofyore.bsky.social Have you seen this???
Hoping to some tilcayo art in the #SciArt Feed! (Photos by Joel Sartore).
You will probably get mauled. This will not stop you from going "pspspsps"
in every photo I've seen so far of this new cat, it's like 'excuse me, did I ASK to be identified????' I love its annoyed face
If EVER a cat needed a merch line for the safety of the cat’s own species and the dopes determined to bring one home, this baby needs plushies, right now.
this CAT SPECIES is NEW and MAD about it
omg look at he little face
what do you wanna bet the Indigenous people in the area have had stories about these cats for generations...
Babe wake up! New cat fursona update just went live!
Han descubierto un michi nuevo!
New cat! New cat! Sometimes we can have nice things. (You cannot have the new cat. I'm sure she is very stabby.)
I would like to point out that the local people in Bolivia were already familiar with the new cat species, traditionally calling it "Tilcayo", a name honored by the scientists who carried it over into the formal scientific name Leopardus tilcayo.
Ok. I was wondering about this very thing. “New cat?” New to whom was my first thought. But this also makes clear that maybe the headlines don’t actually match the science being reported. Seems not so much newly discovered as newly categorized?
Meet the new face of the Hamilton Tiger Cats.
The direct translation of Tilcayo to English is "pspspspspsps"
See 🧵 for more details bsky.app/profile/alex...
🧪 New cat species identified in Bolivia, first in over a century - Called Tilcayo by local communities, it is part of a group called tiger cats found across much of South America www.reuters.com/business/env...
I love the "NEW CAT DISCOVERED -- the locals already had a name for it but -- DISCOVERED!!!"
Please protect this precious creature before some horrible human sets on a mission to have one!
I know it is wrong, but I would really like one...
Not new, and not discovered...still great news. I offer a, perhaps, more accurate, less colonizing, title: "Western scientists describe a felid known to local communities as Tilcayo. It is the first description of its kind in over a century"
There is something deeply comforting to me about the idea that we have not yet “discovered” all the animals in the world yet
Once again they have discovered a new cat that looks like an ocelot but smaller AND THEY DID NOT CALL IT THE OCELITTLE
Now THIS is the content I want to see
Too much shit news! Introducing a NEW CAT!
Finally, some good news. MORE CATS!
They patched a fursona zero day.
Hopefully it’s within a protected area, or about to be protected area.
I don't think petting that cat would work out so well for whatever human tried.
One would think we'd discovered all the cats by now
The world has enough heavy news, here's some light stuff: Scientists have confirmed the existence of a species of wild cats previously only known to locals of Bolivia. It is *smaller* than a house cat and its closest living relative diverged 1.4 million years ago. It's called a Tilcayo.
Oh. He soñado con este animal, hace muchos años. Sé su nombre*, su mitología y su canción. Lo más gracioso es que lo que soñé de él explicaría que no se haya descubierto antes. *no lo escribiré, porque es una palabra que nació en mi sueño y por tanto no está en internet, y prefiero que siga así
La cara que mantengo todo el dia
It must be allowed a box, I DEMAND
Baby wake up, new Cat™ just dropped
I want the tiny cat!
New cat dropped (and landed on their feet)
oooooooooh 🤩 [i mean i'm probably wildly allergic to this one too, but I can love from afar]
Questions: Is new cat BOUNCY? Is new cat FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN? (The wonderful thing about New Cat is They're the only one)
Those ears! What a cutie.
Ok, who's going to make oc out this new species?
Hello, Leopardus tilcayo. We are human. Most of us want to become much better stewards of our shared planet. May we live up to this responsibility – and leave you alone.
I'm so excited about the newly described Leopardus tilcayo #cats
A new species of cat has been discovered for the first time in over 100 years A Bolivian man brought the tilcayo tiger cat to a local sanctuary after mistaking it for a domestic kitten
Nueva especie de gato descubierta después de más de 100 años Los científicos han identificado al Leopardus tilcayo, un pequeño gato salvaje encontrado en Bolivia New cat species discovered after more than 100 years Scientists have identified the Leopardus tilcayo, a small wild cat found in Bolivia🐆