Meryl Streep to Voice Aslan in Gerwig's Narnia
I just read, "Meryl Streep cast as Aslan" and I gasped. Aslan. Not "Asian". The difference mattered.
She’s the mane star of the movie
(shakes fist at sans-serif fonts)
Like the difference between Weird Al and Weird AI…
Your 14 word post led me through shock, anger, disappointment, befuddlement, and finally, laughter. (Although a little befuddlement remains.) Thank you.
I mean, she's no Tilda Swinton...
Fun fact: "Aslan" is a Turkish word, but C.S. Lewis was pretty racist against Ottoman people in his books, so everything Narnia is Orientalist at the roots, but so are lots of things, I guess?
Can't trust your own lion eyes
She is to be fair an incredibly versatile actor but surely playing 5 male Northside Dublin musicians is a stretch even for her?
Is she even part of the furry community???
This also happened to me.
Oh my God this took me a couple reads til I got it and wasn't also like whaaaaaaat
Estamos cada vez mais próximos dessa
I was literally like “omg remember this movie” to @rumpledchords.bsky.social the other day
This was my exact response as well! But Meryl’s no Scarlett Johansson
everyone I have mentioned this to has also thought I wrote "Asian" and not "Aslan"
Meryl Streep portraying Mickey Rooney in a dramatization of the making of Breakfast at Tiffany's.
My half blind eyes read this as "Meryl Streep cast as Asian" & I was very confused til I clicked it.
it took me 'til this comment. several wtf moments on the way.
Ok THAT’s what I was fired up about before reading other posts. 🤦♂️
Me too that why I clicked on it as well. In high school I got casted as Aslan in our school production of The Lion the witch and the wardrobe.
Well damn i feel dumb now
I am also in this
Oh I definitely shake your hand on this one! I was really wondering why Meryl Streep would accept a role like that... And it got worse: "Why are you showing me a freakin' lion?" "Oh... Narnia..." "There are specific Asians in Narnia?" "Ooooohhh... AsLan... Right..."
I saw the trending topic "Meryl Streep cast as Aslan" and I did initially read it as "Meryl Streep cast as Asian". 💀
never thought i'd be so relieved to hear about an Evangelical lion
Scarlett Johansson cast as Asian Aslan.
Same! I screamed "MERYL, No!"
I am glad my first exposure to that line is this post. I gotta watch my blood pressure at my age.
My dyslexia is way more entertaining than reality.
We all did. We wonder at the extent of her talent
Delighted Gerwig has shaken up Narnia: shifting the novel to the 1950s, confirming Streep as Aslan. Because it’s the right thing to do. And because it will annoy people who deserve to be annoyed. www.empireonline.com/movies/news/...
Also, not the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, of which there is a million versions. This could be amazing 🤞
“I don’t know how you went from David Jones to David Bowie unless you went to Narnia and you saw something" They're called drugs, Greta Sounds good though!
I need better glasses! On BlueSky's trending list, I thought it said she was cast as ASIAN, not Aslan! LMAO! Cue the Right Wing KKKristian freak out in 3. 2. 1...
That should help cleanse the pallet ruined by sitting through all of End of Oak Street.
An Aslan voiced by Meryl Streep and inspired by David Bowie ...I'm listening.
You can't make the God-Lion female! Evangelical heads are gonna explode.
The Shack discourse 2.0 incoming
Read this as “an Asian voiced by Meryl Streep” and was just as intrigued
Have conservatives started losing their shit about this yet cause it feels like that can't be far off
Yeah that's an auto watch
Okay I am now leaning the fuck in
Greta Gerwig opens the doors to Narnia: The Magician’s Nephew in the new issue of Empire – detailing her revolutionary rock’n’roll adaptation. Here’s your first look at Aslan – and he’s voiced by legend Meryl Streep. On sale Thurs September 24. Read more: www.empireonline.com/movies/news/...
Empire’s exclusive subscriber cover for Greta Gerwig’s Narnia: The Magician’s Nephew is an epic sneak-peek at Aslan literally creating Narnia itself, courtesy of one of the film’s concept artist Jaime Jones. Read more: www.empireonline.com/movies/news/...
we’re getting a scaly rainbow-psychedelic Aslan, ok then
I first read this as "Meryl Streep cast as Asian" & thought "this isn't going to work." "
my god, the trads are going to lose it
The most insufferable people, boomers, and right wing chuds are going to be 30 times more insufferable about this for the next 5 months
Ok, she might be cooking with trans masculine Aslan.
im so hyped about this omg
Cast is amazing! Daniel Craig, Denise Gough, Carey Mulligan, Ciaran Hinds, Susan Wokoma, and Meryl! 🤯 Oh shit! The terfs are going to have a meltdown over the gender blind casting 😂
I read this as "Streep to voice Asian" and I was expecting her to be in the new Ghost in the Shell or something bsky.app/profile/empi...
Everything about this is going to make conservative Christians SO MAD. I’m delighted. The way they jerk off to CS Lewis…
This burns, was holding out to try and get on set when they were asking me at the same time for HoD 4
Aslan cantandole "The Winner Take it All" a la Bruja Blanca.
Cool so this should work about as well as when Judy Dench played Old Deuteronomy in the CATS movie.
First look at Aslan in Greta Gerwig’s ‘NARNIA’, voiced by Meryl Streep. (via Empire) #Narnia #GretaGerwig #MerylStreep
... ... ...oh. So, this is going to be the actual pop-culture "commentariat" apocalypse 👀 You will see "YouTuber Faces" not yet DREAMED OF in scope of bad teeth and poor beard grooming People in the PRESIDENTIAL cabinet will likely speak - angrily and embarrassingly - on this 🤦♂️
I dig how Aslan has feathers and scales alongside the fur, giving the idea that all the Narnia animals are made from him. Also, Magician’s Nephew has a text describing Aslan as having “the voice of the earth herself” as he sings. So Steep’s casting makes some sense.
We as a society can only say "Meryl Streep could play Jesus" so many times until a director finally decides to test that theory Huge Narnia guy. Cannot wait for this. Been wondering what Gerwig's POV on this universe would be so consider me VERY intrigued
a lion with homophobia in his eyes ❤️