Annie Dillard, Pulitzer-winning author of Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, dies at 81
some people are expressing their displeasure about obits of annie dillard that talk up her looks, and that’s a reasonable take, but let me be clear. in the event of my own untimely death. i expect all obituaries to describe me as a total smokeshow. it’s ok if that’s the bulk of the obituary, even
here we part ways. My dream is for my obit to say “he had no ‘appearance’ per se and all photographs of him were, according to his will & last testament, ‘begrudging concessions to social convention’”
put pictures of me EVERYWHERE. Make everyone go around in a circle and give me compliments
gotta mention that there is a special window in the coffin so you can see the cans
headline: HONKERS DEAD WORLD MOURNS HONKERS HONKERS
we'll have our most mediocre magazine profile writers describe what you looked like while eating a salad
Gotta include the prewritten lede for the story somewhere in the will, with a stipulation the will's executor/executrix gets nothing unless they follow your wishes to take out an obit in papers reading something like "Noted local banjo player, smokeshow, and author Rax 'Levon Honkers' King..."
rax's direction is good, but i request something different. please write me an "obitchuary" using the line "she was mean to those who deserved it"
Please put in the newspaper that I was hot as hell
Her books on tape were on in the car all the time when I was little because my dad was a grad student, her work is burned into my soul in the best way & I’m delighted to learn this new fact about her! But also can’t even explain how her sublime expansive brilliant hilarious bewildered tone shaped me
Dillard's work was characterized by spare prose and a deep connection to nature. She is best known for Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, An American Childhood, The Maytrees and The Writing Life. n.pr/46M19TT
Sigh. She's been a favorite of mine for decades. RIP
Take a quiet walk in a glen and think of Annie Dillard.
This is heartbreaking. Greatest writer of the 20th century. I will fight anyone on this.
She wasn’t a scientist but she sure read that way to me. Her American Childhood’s description of a child’s mind waking up and wondering at the world and the people and their ways and nature and rocks and snow…such a gift.
I saw a couple of posts on here about Annie Dillard, but not enough to think 'Oh, no...' until I saw this one. If you've never read her work, stop what you're doing and read 'Living Like Weasels' right now, the link's in the reply. It's writing that can change your life, or maybe even save it.
Oh my. What a loss. "Teaching a Stone to Talk" is one of my favorite books ever, the story of her writing in a notebook on a Galapagos beach when a seal scooted over and rested its head in her arm and went to sleep. Magical. Powerful. Reverent. RIP. Thank you for sharing your great gifts with us. 💕🙏
Oh, Annie Dillard. ❤️🔥 "At a certain point you say to the woods, to the sea, to the mountains, the world, Now I am ready. Now I will stop and be wholly attentive. You empty yourself & wait, listening. After a time you hear it: there is nothing there. There is nothing but those things only, (cot'd)
those created objects discrete, growing or holding, or swaying, being rained on or raining, held, flooding or ebbing, standing or spread. You feel the world’s word as a tension, a hum, a single chorused note everywhere the same. This is it: this hum is the silence. The silence is all there is. +
This is in my synagogue’s siddur, and I’ve printed it out and put it on my fridge! I love it so much
I am 100% not surprised that you love her work
The way Annie Dillard reframed the idea of the role of “discipline” in writing really shaped my understanding of the job — work, she wrote, “does not require discipline. It creates its own discipline.” I cannot recommend The Writing Life highly enough. RIP to the best. bookshop.org/a/109816/978...
second this. Read the Writing Life when i was 15 in class and it has stayed with me. Literally. It is one of the few books I go back to and reread.
"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives" is a line I read as a young person that has haunted me and kicked my butt ever since
RIP Annie Dillard a great writer.
RIP to Annie Dillard, whose work frequently left me unable to speak sensibly for several minutes after reading it. This essay, This Is The Life, was my entry point for her work
Sad to hear of Annie Dillard's passing. I read her memoir 35 years ago, An American Childhood, about growing up in a very industrialized town in the mid century, and her fascination with science and reading and . . . just curiosity about life, it all really spoke to me.
This is a thought provoking and brilliantly spacious essay.
A link if you can’t read the images www.billemory.com/dillard/dill...
Annie Dillard's "For the Time Being" had a serious effect on me. www.nytimes.com/2026/09/16/b...
🎁Annie Dillard, Meditative Author of ‘Pilgrim at Tinker Creek,’ Dies at 81 Her Thoreau-like account of journeys in the woods, published when she was 28, was the first of many ruminations on life and nature, good and evil. By Daniel Lewis Sept. 16, 2026 www.nytimes.com/2026/09/16/b...
Annie Dillard's HOLY THE FIRM did it for me. Life changing. Rest in beauty, teacher.
I loved An American Childhood— she grew up in Pittsburgh, in a very different community from mine but not far away— like all her work, every sentence was a treasure and there was so much familiar.
ICYAI Found 15-part playlist Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Anne Dillard discussion from NanceNotes and Narwhals 5 yrs ago as I revisit my copy after hearing of her passing away Sad to have outlived so many well-lived better than I these last few wks (I'm 83 y.o.) youtu.be/wMEhTR-1OVU?...
She was a wonderful writer. Unsung hero.
Every day this week I’ve typed up a poem by someone else before I start writing. Today’s had to be from Annie Dillard. This was published in The Atlantic in 1978. It’s gorgeous.
That’s a great practice. One of my old writing professors talked about starting each new notebook with a copied poem, thereby guaranteeing that at least something good is captured, and I keep that tradition as well.
"We live in time's quills as senseless as lice." Wow ❤️🩹