Astra Taylor launches 'End Times Fascism'
But is it fascism? Do they really yearn for apocalypse? Isn't that polarizing? Shouldn't we be nice to them? We made a short video so folks can hear the end timers in their own words and judge for themselves: www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK2n...
I'm very excited to check out Naomi Klein and Astrid Taylor's new book. As someone who works at the intersection of transformative movement building and narrative power... I love a big explanatory frame and "End Times Fascism" sounds like it helps explain a lot about our current planetary crisis.👇
lijepo kolažirano za normieje, taman unutar 10 minuta 👌
This conversation with @naomiaklein.bsky.social and @astra.bsky.social couldn't be more timely. With the AI industry talking about *its own products' potential to cause human extinction* we drill into who might still want to build such technology, and why. Hint: it's in the title of their new book.
The book really is great, and it was a pleasure to speak with two writer/thinker/organizers I admire about a grim--but ultimately hopefu--subject Here's the book: us.macmillan.com/books/978037...
If they truly believe they are building machines that will kill lots of people isn't that conspiracy to murder?
This is so good. What Klein says about the Earth being an NPC to these people and the loss of their wealth being the true apocalypse in their minds is really it
Great episode! Very timely, both with their book (that I’m very much looking forward to reading) and with the latest AI doomsday news cycle.
Love @bcmerchant.bsky.social ‘s podcast. This episode is really excellent. Helped me understand what is happening.
It's probably not great how often I have to use "If your Naomi be Klein..." in my head before I click on links.
This piece by Naomi Klein and Astra Taylor also offers an insightful reflection upon this question. Are we rerunning an old familiar story, or is our present moment best understood as a sequel to that adds new twists to that old story? www.ft.com/content/bd13...
I read Madeline Albright's "Fascism" a year or two ago, and it was striking to me how much of her history lessons were a little bit of both, in terms of how we got here (re-run) and how the fascist leaders of today have evolved the strategy for today's society (sequel).
I think the easy analysis is Nazi Germany as it is closes in time to us and has enough technological parallels vis-a-vis communications and military to fill the abstract. But I think what we're living through is more akin to the slow decline of Rome or the British empire. You could look at
This is where fascism and capitalism finally shake hands, a ruling class that no longer needs to promise us a better future. Just more extraction, more walls, more cops, more sacrifice while the rich buy themselves a way out. Fuck their escape plan. There are billions of us, let's act like it.
It would take decades to find everything needed for any human to live any where in space for a long period of time, and AI wouldn't be much help either 😉
I heard the two of them last night. Terrifying what they explain, but completely real. And they are publishing a new book: 'End Times Fascism and the Fight for the Living World' by Naomi Klein and Astra Taylor is scheduled to be published on September 15, 2026. In YouTube... youtu.be/5GDKpDkieh0
Maybe if we make it really simple… a screening of Antz?
They also did shake hands in 1920-30-40s, wealthy industrialists supported Mussolini and Hitler and helped them to gain power. They were afraid of socialism taking over.