Bayeux Tapestry returns to UK, opens at the British Museum
Bayeux Tapestry good but massively upstaged by seeing a cat in a ruff right before
I'm just gonna tell people all the cats in England dress like this
When you've been appointed Lord High Mouser by Queen Elizabeth I.
How is everyone not staring at the cat in a ruff
Aw... "The General". I knew his predecessor "Clement Atlee" better, but nice to see the pub cat still wears his formal ruff...
You are in the Seven Stars and I claim my £10.
Oh, I thought it was a Danish vicar
As is right and correct, per the Professor
Here’s just there to invest in a galleon to return from the south seas laden with spice and treasure
Imagining all the horrific stuff this cat did during the Desmond Rebellion
The Seven Stars is such a great pub. I'd occasionally go for a boozy lunch as a student and pretend I was a lot more sophisticated than I was. The fact that the landlady is called Roxy Beaujolais automatically makes it a theatre set.
I love you ruff cat
when I’m there in 3 weeks I will search every pub in a mile radius of the museum for this cat
where is their tapestry goddamn it
By lovely coincidence it’s both my birthday and Bayeux Tapestry Day in the UK! Delighted to have been part of the BBC’s coverage with our 1066-themed episode of You’re Dead To Me www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/c5...
Happy birthday to two medieval legends!
I doubt you’re quite as old as the tapestry but have a good one 🎈🎂
Happy birthday, Greg. I've ordered you a Marmoush hat trick, but they can't deliver it till Saturday evening...
Happy Birthday! What an alignment!
Happy birthday Greg! Halfway through the 1066 ep, thank you!
I just learnt from your 1066 episode that the arrow in eye was maybe a 18th century alteration. For some reason 🤷🏼
Just back from the Bayeux Tapestry, these were my favourite bits.
As the Bayeux Tapestry opens to the public at the British Museum, what impact do Britons think the Norman Conquest had on British history? Positive: 25% Neither: 25% Negative: 6% Don't know: 44% yougov.com/en-gb/daily-...
Was there an “This is a ridiculous question” option?
A couple of years ago, I was discussing the conquest w/ my son, around 13. (Yes, I am an awful father.) And I was deep in it, passionate. And I ask how did the Tapestry of B survive these past 1000 years?… through the black death, religious turmoil, 100 Years War, world wars? Son: “Rolled up?”
I'm offended by all these people speaking French on the buses and in the shops, if that's what you mean.
2000 years of occupation by the Italians, French, and Germans and what's the result? Britain is the greatest single argument against colonialism having any benefit at all.
What a really weird question!
What I love about the people answering “negative” is they are basically saying “the last thousand years? I don’t care for them”.
i am the 2% of brits still really mad about the norman conquest
I would read the heck out of an alt history novel where Hastings went differently, but set long after. Reccs welcome if such a thing exists.
realistically England probably remains a relative cultural backwater without the connections to Normandy beginning in the 11th century, being tied together with France for centuries really elevated it into the power it would become
It's too soon to tell.
DID A NORMANS ANSWER THIS SURVEY?
tbh I feel like "don't know" is the only reasonable answer here
On the English neck a Norman yoke
Do you think the development of multicellular life has had a positive or negative impact on the history of Pittsburgh, PA?
How Brits feel about an ACTUAL invasion from overseas.
Surprised the British Museum are letting us touch it. And that a few people are ripping bits off to keep
And can someone explain this ‘Bayeux Tapestry’ to me? It keeps popping up.
When I my son was a teenager, he got annoyed if people talked about things they did not understand; he said they should just "wiki the shit!" so i did it for you :-): en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayeux_...
AI, make me a version of the Bayeux Tapestry, but base it on charity Christmas cards...
It tells the story of Shaun the sheep & is on display in a famous London museum at the moment.
When you bought the Mari Rose Gateux Tasperry on Wish...