Ectopic pregnancy deaths nearly doubled, worse in states with abortion bans
NEW: Our analysis found that from 2020 to 2025, the rate of deaths involving ectopic pregnancies nearly doubled compared with the previous six-year period. The uptick was steeper in states with abortion bans.
The War on Women by MAGA
who could have foreseen that making the treatment for a life-threatening crisis illegal would lead to increases in deaths?
To let a woman die from an ectopic pregnancy in this day and age is murder. State-sanctioned murder.
The Republican Party is the party of death.
Yes, unfortunately I’ve had a field day, teaching my women’s health class- the impact of policy, laws, and health on the lives of birthing women! Students are gobsmacked! Everyday its something.Today, OB/GYN, Sen. Marshall. Abusing the system to enrich self! We eat skittles to maintain our sanity!
Many people are saying that Republicans are Pro Maternal Death
The thing that we knew would happen happened
Related News Brief coming, and we'll dig into this as well.
How crazy and cruel!! I KNOW that #CONSERVATIVES in #Canada are seriously looking at #banning #abortion. This is #MEDIEVAL, no WORSE...sickingly disgusting. TORTURE. These are women in MEDICAL DISTRESS, that could lead to DEATH. HEALTHY WOMEN. ALL BECAUSE RELIGIOUS ZEALOTS think a fetus is a baby.
Awful. Every one a tragedy.
The GOP's cries about "the sanctity of human life" rings so hollow. "Protect the baby!" Then abandon any pretense of caring --deny healthcare, nutrition assistance, let the child get shot in school... Yes, life is so precious to them.
"[F]ederal agencies across two administrations have failed to publicly respond to the increase in deaths despite having access to the same information ProPublica analyzed. ... [T]he Trump administration has eliminated much of the staff devoted to researching [maternal health outcomes.]"
THIS IS MORE THAN ENOUGH PROOF, Republicans are assholes. They could’ve made exceptions, for a few different issues that are killing the mothers, when the baby’s not viable anyway!!!!
Horrific though unsurprising report from @propublica.org: Ectopic pregnancy deaths have basically doubled since the end of Roe
Obviously, the increase was greater in states with abortion bans. Still, the end of Roe has emboldened extremists docs everywhere. Last year, I spoke to a young woman left with no fallopian tubes after an anti-abortion refused her treatment for her ectopic pregnancy...in Illinois.
So pro life they're willing to kill for it.
Because it's never been about life 🇨🇦
Women told them this would happen, Doctors told them this would happen, lawyers told them this would happen & the SCOTUS did it anyway.
Who could have predicted? Other than anyone who knows anything about maternal health?
Trump regime/Republicans -> 'pro death of women'/mothers 😈☠️ Never forget #Vote 🌊🌊
We fucking told them this would happen and they didn’t care. The more dead women the better.
Anti-abortion laws were always about killing women.
I will keep saying this until I am blue in the face. If you're anti-abortion, you are pro-harm and pro-death for women. There is no world where being anti-abortion for whatever reason, religious or otherwise, should be a protected belief. If you're anti-abortion you are causing suffering of women.
Tennessee’s response was telling us pregnant women do not deserve same protection for their lives I will attach the case in the next post
I hate them, the evil ones, you know who I mean.
Ectopic pregnancies are *never* viable, and are a medical emergency requiring immediate surgery. Period.
WE FUCKING TOLD YOU SO
Horrific Nothing short of murder
The War on Women continues.
the cruelty is the point.
Another unconscionable result of the GOP’s war on women. www.propublica.org/article/ecto...
I had an ectopic pregnancy and didn't know until I collapsed one day. I was having periods and we were using contraception so I had no reason to think anything was wrong. My toddler had to get me the phone and 12 hrs later I had an ovary removed. This was 40 years ago when women had more rights.
Not merely a war on women- this is a broader war on science and bodily autonomy and if men think this won’t come for them, then they’re probably dumb and believe in Jesus.
Unfortunately, women voted for Trump in 2024—just two years after the Supreme Court overturned "Roe v. Wade." I will never understand why women vote against their own interest.
"If the pregnancy is ectopic, the risk of rupture increases the longer treatment is delayed...without a ban, a patient could decide at any point that that risk is not worth taking and opt to terminate the pregnancy." Politicians are deciding if/when critical women's healthcare is delivered.
This is the direct effect of ignorance, mysogynist nonsense taking power over medical doctors and women ability to provide safe healthcare. Families of these victims need to start class action wrongful death claims against these politician.
Pro Tip from an old data scientist: You should have retained the axis scales that are shown in the article.
ectopic pregnancies are more common than you would think and they can be deadly these deaths are preventable pro-life my ass
They don’t care if you die.
Someone here pointed out the other day, white men have guaranteed rights in every state. Women, BIPOC, LGBTQ, our rights vary from state to state and remain transitory. In consequence, WE DIE. In appalling numbers.
Unavoidable - pro-life my ass.
In 1983 when I was 20, I had an ectopic pregnancy while at school in Vermont, and I'm alive to tell you because it happened there and then.
This should be in every Democrat's election material, yet it will probably never get the attention it deserves
Hey look it's the leading reason why I left Florida so quickly in 2023
I've never understood including ending an ectopic pregnancy under the umbrella of abortion. The birth rate for ectopic pregnancies is, and will always be, zero. Every outcome from not providing medical care is horrifyingly bad.
They said it wasn't a war on women. Now women are dying when care is available - and criminalized by blurring religious beliefs with the law. Midterms can't come quickly enough.
JFC. Foreseeable but still INFURIATING. They don’t GIVE A SHIT ABOUT WOMEN. Never have. Never will.
New reporting from my colleagues: Ectopic-related deaths in abortion banned states are increasing. One expert said deaths from ectopic pregnancies should “really be a never event.” www.propublica.org/article/ecto...
Med school made me terrified of (my wife) having a baby. It’s a miracle any of us get born with all systems “go”. The very same reason “pro life” absolutists are so disingenuous (or crazy stupid).
We live in TX & my son and daughter-in-law only have one child because she's scared to death of a complicated pregnancy in a state that would let her come close to death rather than remove a non-viable fetus!
Republican politicians do not accept women as equal. We don't have rights. We don't deserve healthcare. We are not smart enough to make our own choices. Republicans think old, rich, white guys should choose the fate of all women b/c we should be their happy slaves. If we die, so what?
This is so stupid! My very devout Catholic mother had an ectopic pregnancy way back before WWII and it was immediately taken care of in a Catholic hospital with surgery that removed her fallopian tube and ovary.
Marilyn Monroe suffered a miscarriage from an ectopic pregnancy in August 1957 that required emergency surgery. Ectopic pregnancies can be life threatening.
I blame the doctors. I haven’t heard of one single doctor doing anything to help. Other citizens are expected to take a stand; attend rallies, protest ICE. When will one doctor step up and defy a jury to send them to jail for saving a life. Do no harm to your paycheck, is the new principle.
Not happy to be right, but goddammit, I was right. (Written and published pre-Dobbs, with big thanks to @ameliarobinson.bsky.social)
anti-choice was never about life, it was about controlling women, even if it means needlessly killing them. and it is killing, because abortion is healthcare.
Wonder what Liz Brueing thinks of this.
It's a strange duality to deride the low birth rates while making it infinitely more risky to have a baby for half the country. If I were a woman in a blood-red state I would think very carefully about another pregnancy, about whether my doctor is even *legally allowed* to save my life.
I am an ectopic pregnancy survivor who would have died had I not received a procedure that is now illegal in many states.
You can say it: Republican-controlled states.
Me too. My fallopian tube burst & I had to have emergency surgery March 17, 1992. I always vote to protect women's rights. Fuck anyone who doesn't.
I can attest. My own mother had one of these when I was an infant. Had she not received this lifesaving care, not only would I have grown up motherless, but my younger brother and sister would never have been born. Tell me again how that’s supposed to be “pro-life.”
My sister-in-law is alive today for the same reason. Unfortunately, she and my brother vote GOP. I will never understand women who vote against their own interests.
I am also an ectopic pregnancy survivor, x2 and would also have died. ☹️ 💙
The truest and most insane conspiracy theory is the conspiracy against women. Imagine a country where most people have no idea how dangerous pregnancy is because “women are gross” and they don’t want to learn. You don’t get there without intent to deceive on a massive scale
Truth from THE Mollie Katzen:
Ectopic Pregnancy Deaths Have Nearly Doubled. It’s Worse in States With Abortion Bans. www.propublica.org/article/ecto...
Abortion rights advocates predicted this. Every bit of it.
It was always a war on women.
At least half the men (and lawmakers) I've spoken to about this are quite certain the fetus can be put into the uterus. Just sayin'
Oh women are dying due to abortion bans? Who doesn't care? Pro lifers, they think its ok to die pregnant because God wills it. You can't argue with irrational.
If only countless people had warned of exactly this. 🧵 "ProPublica’s analysis found a stark and baffling increase: Almost 200 women with the condition died from 2020 to 2025, compared with about 100 in the previous six years." www.rawstory.com/ectopic-preg...
The Pro Publica piece: www.propublica.org/article/ecto...
Some of my extended family lives in Texas. I tried to talk to them about this, or at least to talk to one of them who might’ve been receptive. She was not. She rejected the science to vote with her beliefs, and now women and their babies are dying.
how is this baffling OR stark?!?!?
MAGA: they died WITH ectopic pregnancy, not from it.
It's not baffling. They are refusing healthcare to women based on religious bullshit.
I had one over 15 years ago and if it weren’t for my dr who immediately sent me to the ER, I’d be a statistic too. I don’t think I’d have the same result if it happened to me today in that state. Violence against women shows itself in many many ways. 😔
I don’t see any way to interpret this other than Republicans are fine with women dying needlessly. In fact, one could argue they want/need more women to die so the numbers can underscore their commitment to a policy that directly leads to more needless death.
Let me tell you a funny story: women were properly treated for ectopic pregnancies during Franco's time in Spain (may I remind - a Catholic-military dictatorship) Why are they killing women in this day an age? Because that's what they're doing 🤷♀️
Read this today & was disturbed that Dems are spending so much energy condemning Hasan Piker & going on Fox News to attack Abdul El-Sayed or Mamdani, that we can’t even highlight that the GOP are literally killing women. #DV1 #ProudBlue #Voices4Victory #USDemocracy www.propublica.org/article/ecto...
No DEMOCRATS should be going on FAKE FOX News. It gives them Legitimacy!
You’re surprised the Establishment still hasn’t learned and is going with the status quo? Sarcasm obviously, but the truth is they are still catering to the fantasy that doing such will bring conservative deserters over the aisle. Meanwhile it pushes their base further from center or worse. No vote.
This isn’t a surprising trend. Women’s health was never the issue. This is an issue of control. Remember the “your body, my choice” attitude that elected tRump? Here’s the result. Remember this in November. #ProudBlue #EctopicPregnancydeaths #Vote www.propublica.org/article/ecto...
Men should never make laws that impact women’s health. For years the medical profession ignored the biological difference between men & women. Men were followed medically for long term studies, & served as guinea pigs on new meds & procedures. Once we were noticed & got some rights, men told us no.
Here's what gets me: There have to be plenty of doctors who KNOW these facts, having performed this lifesaving surgery time and again. Where are these doctors and what are they doing??
I had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy. I went into shock, hemorrhaged half my blood supply, the pain was unbearable, had emergency surgery and nearly died. Drs who know women are having an ectopic pregnancy MUST help them before it ruptures! It’s NOT a viable pregnancy! It’s a time bomb.
In the US, being "against abortion" appears to be a cover for broad attacks on women's healthcare in general, with the result that many of these states now have poorer care for women than much of the third world.
Don’t be fooled people. This is a well planned attack against liberal women to put them in their place.
The plain result of the GOP's War on Women.
Consistent with what they say in the South: "bippity boppity women are property."
Entirely foreseeable and preventable. Fuck republicans
Red states have abysmal maternal and infant mortality rates.
The next phase in the abortion wars may come down to one question: Will federal courts allow the rights of red states to enforce bans to override the rights of blue states to protect access? The 5th Circuit hears a pivotal case today that could provide an answer. www.politico.com/news/2026/09...
In court & in the court of public opinion, telehealth abortions are mainly portrayed as a way for patients in red states to circumvent bans. But they're also very popular in blue states, especially places like CA where the nearest clinic may be hundreds of miles away www.politico.com/news/2026/09...
The function of the fascist 5th Circuit Court being expanding red states rights to oppression while overriding blue state protections. bsky.app/profile/alic...
They will never win! We will fight to preserve our rightful control over our bodies!
They will never quit until abortion is banned nationwide. And birth control banned. And gay marriage ended. They are intent on shoving their view religion down our throats.
The 5th Circuit will certainly allow red states to rule over blue states in matters of women's reproductive health, in spite of any legal interpretation. (and I meant *rule over*, not overrule)
This is religious belief not science and medicine. I want science and medicine, what doctors, who perform abortions and prescribe abortion pills, know. It’s reproductive health care.
Because the idea of "state rights" doesn't apply to states they don't like
The function of the fascist 5th Circuit Court being expanding red states rights to oppression while overriding blue state protections. bsky.app/profile/alic...
The combination of the Fugitive Slave Act and the Dred Scott decision was such a major escalation in the lead-up to the Civil War bc it put to lie the idea that slavery was a "states rights" question. The South and SCOTUS were determined to force slavery into the North.
Wilhoit proviso remains in force.