Nvidia agrees to acquire Hugging Face for about $12.9 billion
Nvidia is buying Hugging Face, which is good because it wants open source to thrive so it can sell more hardware.
i am not that optimistic. i expect enshittification. just like github.
Depends. Will they not prioritise Nvidia cloud services and NVIDIA-aligned frameworks ? Hugging Face only works because it's trusted by everyone. Chinese labs might now look for other options (for now as a backup)
I wish I shared the optimism.
Hugging Face has zero revenue, is a platform for sharing open source models anyone can download for free and Nvidia wants to buy it for $13 BILLION DOLLARS.
I'm not sure what they're smoking at Nvidia HQ but can I have some.
I wonder if it would stay free/open source? /sarcasm
Sometimes it feels like AI stock CEOs act like boomer parents who are determined to blow every last cent of their savings on covid cruises so none of their ungrateful squabbling children get a cent of inheritance when they pop their clogs
Capitalism is idiotic. Uttterly fucking idiotic.