Skip to content

Folarin Balogun available for USMNT vs Belgium after ban suspended

sportsJul 5, 20261044,417

FIFA suspended the one-game red-card ban against Folarin Balogun, clearing the 25-year-old striker to be selected for the U.S. Men’s National Team’s World Cup round-of-16 match against Belgium at Lumen Field in Seattle on Monday. Balogun received a straight red card against Bosnia and Herzegovina for a foul on defender Tarik Muharemovic, a sanction that normally carries an automatic one-game suspension under Article 10.5, and multiple FIFA officials had said such suspensions could not be appealed. FIFA invoked Article 27 of its disciplinary code to suspend implementation of the match suspension for a one-year probationary period, warning that a similar future infringement would revoke the suspension and trigger the original sanction. U.S. Soccer said it accepted and was pleased with the decision. U.S. President Donald Trump posted on Truth Social thanking FIFA for the decision. Players learned the news on the team bus to training; Christian Pulisic said the development "gives us a boost," and Chris Richards said they confirmed the news via social media. Balogun has started all but one game for the hosts, scored in the opener against Paraguay and again against Bosnia, and has recorded at least one goal contribution in every World Cup match he has played so far.

Philippe Auclair
@philippeauclair.bsky.social

The Royal Belgian Football Federation has published a - very strongly worded and argumented - statement after Fifa's decision to suspend Falorin Balogun's automatic ban for one year, making him eligible for the USMNT's R16 match v. Belgium. Merci à @samindrakunti.bsky.social!

RBFA STATEMENT
The Royal Belgian Football Association (RBFA) is astonished by FIFA's decision to declare suspended United States player Folarin Balogun eligible to play in the USA–Belgium match on Monday, 6 July at 5:00 p.m. (Seattle time).
FIFA bases its decision on Article 27 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code. This provision states that the FIFA Disciplinary Committee may decide to suspend the enforcement of a previously imposed disciplinary sanction.
However, Article 66.4 of the same FIFA Disciplinary Code clearly provides that a red card (sending-off) automatically results in a suspension for the team's next match, as has been the case for all previous red cards issued during this FIFA World Cup.
Furthermore, and irrespective of the above, the decision is in direct contradiction with the provisions of the FIFA World Cup 2026 Competition Regulations, as set out in Article 10.5:
"If a player or team official is sent off as a result of a direct or indirect red card (second caution), they will automatically be suspended from their team's subsequent match. In addition, further sanctions may be imposed."
The automatic nature of such a suspension was also explicitly reaffirmed in FIFA World Cup 2026 Circular No. 16, which was distributed to all participating member associations on 12 May 2026.
The same rule is reiterated at every FIFA World Cup 2026 Match Coordination Meeting prior to each match and is included in all FIFA World Cup 2026 workshop presentations.
In order to safeguard the legitimate rights of all participating teams and to protect the fundamental principles of fair play in our sport, both at this FIFA World Cup and at future editions of the tournament, the RBFA is investigating all potential options.
30045d ago
TSN
@tsnofficial.bsky.social

The Royal Belgian Football Association have released a statement following FIFA's decision to allow the USA's Folarin Balogun to play on Monday despite picking up a red car in his team's Round of 32 match against Bosnia and Herzegovina. #FIFAWorldCup

22945d ago
Quoting this
Brent Toderian128

Blatant corruption from Trump and FIFA, as usual. Perfect bedfellows. #WorldCup

Sophie Lawson14

Mighty moralistic words from a team that willingly calls itself the red DEVILS. RBFA pissed and rightly so but they know, as well as we all do, that it doesn't matter what the rules actually say, FIFA will bend its way around them as they wish.

Reid Adair8

Article 66.4 of the FIFA Discliplinary Code and Article 10.5 of the 2026 World Cup Competition Regulations indicate it wasn't a call that could be made: bsky.app/profile/tsno...

Steven Schapansky 🇨🇦6

It took a while before American and FIFA corruption tainted the World Cup but we got there in the end.

Reid Adair4

Article 66.4 of the Disciplinary Code and Article 10.5 of the 2026 World Cup Competition Guidelines don't allow them to "react" this way. bsky.app/profile/tsno...

PalpableConcern3

Worthy of a read: bsky.app/profile/tsno...

🇨🇦 Christine 🇨🇦3

Just disgraceful. I only half joking said to himself at the start of the tourney that I wouldn’t be surprised to see that orange bastard grease palms all the way to a US win.

Paula. 🇳🇬☘️3

Não vai mudar nada mas o circo tá armado

Briana3

From what I've read, Balogun shouldnt have gotten the red card in the first place. So why should he be suspended for something he shouldnt have gotten? Granted, how they came to that conclusion is corrupt af. But the outcome is what should have happened anyway, right? Explain it to me, soccer fans.

Justin Striebel2

The notion that Belgium is fighting this to protect the integrity of competition or some such thing is such BS. They’re just mad they don’t enter the game with the US disadvantaged.

Barry Glendenning
@barryglendenning.bsky.social

As huge and unpopular a call as it would be, the USA should leave Folarin Balogun on the bench for the entire Belgium game to avoid being tainted by any sort of association with Trump and Fifa's chicanery and machiavellianism.

22345d ago
3 sources