Florence Pugh leads Netflix's East of Eden adaptation
Honestly had no idea there was this much, uh, boning in East of Eden. You're bad at naming things, John Steinbeck
more like east of eatin’
Didn't you read The Pearl in high school?
Really? Genesis 3:24 and 4:1 say that east of Eden was where Adam and Eve discovered boning.
East of Poundtown was rejected by publisher.
Those giant, tall houses are real. On the CA central coast I run into them once in a while. These soaring, skinny, victorian houses in the middle of nothing dot the landscape.
In a year that made me think that modern storytellers were obsessed with defanging classic literature, East of Eden stands out. It's now one of my favorite Steinbeck adaptations. My review:
I was worried that Cathy would get girlbossification because of the Netflix synopsis calling her an anti-hero. But it doesn't. "Timshel" remains the crux of the story, but with Lee and Cathy getting more background, the foundational idea of choice in circumstance feels somewhat stronger.
I know @andreamontoro.bsky.social has been very, very excited for this one.