Resident Evil movie opens to strong reviews; director responds to ending criticism
Resident Evil movie very good. My nitpicking gripe with it is that there are almost zero practical effects in it. I totally get why current film production militates against that sort of thing. But when you're making a bio-goop monster, I believe it's always more visceral if the goop is real.
It's much more Resident Evil 4 in spirit than Resi 1. Significantly leans more into action than horror. Which is not bad, but it makes the Body Horror in it sort of weightless.
I was shocked to find out that a certain big guy in the sewer was 100% practical and in fact a 2000 lb puppet!
They did drop big bags of blood for that one street scene
it’s why the roof jumpers were such a good bit: they were dropping big fat blood bags from a crane
back to hellraiser 1 for everyone, i guess
in interviews cregger said a lot more of the movie was supposed to be practical, but they weren't able to get the practical effects to look right in motion within the budget and time alloted, and instead had weta use the partially-done practical shots as reference for VFX
My only real complaint about the Resident Evil movie is that they didn't use the extended main theme with the wailing horns in the film itself. Would have killed over an opening credits sequence, or a lonely montage with Bryan entering Raccoon City, showing deserted snowy streets and carnage...
the city for sure needed more time to Become A Character
Apparently there was an early cut with more jokes (too many according to Cregger). I'd bet the horn section was part of that. I think it turned out pretty perfect in the end but GOD I'd love to see the comedy cut.
I hope the blu ray has a version where the Resident Evil voice guy does a voice over on the title card drop.
I was almost hoping they got that guy to grunt out Resident Evil again.
still thinking about the ending of resident evil. what a movie
a lesser director would have done any of the three obvious options but cregger made the strong choice instead and i can't get the final image out of my head
As someone who hadn’t been diagnosed with ADHD until adult age, I have never felt so represented by a horror protagonist before.
think I'm in zach cregger's corner for life. barbarian was the scariest + most disturbing film I've seen since martyrs, weapons has one of the most unsettling scenes I've ever seen (forks), and resident evil charmed me so much with its humor and horror. guy is incredible
excellent casting, use of costume, and especially use of practical effects. more than that though is his tapping into really basic shared primal fears (something in the basement/dark places, some thing's wrong with the kids/loss of a child/external assailed control, parenthood)
Also wow martyrs😭😭😭 I almost rewatched it last Oct for the first time since it came out and I straight up chickened out and watched something lighter lmao
He def has the juice rn
He and Jordan Peele seem to be the two people who have figured out how to use the microscopic line between horror and comedy perfectly. Just wish Peele would be more prolific
Dude fuck those fake Resident Evil fans, that movie slapped! Genuinely one of the most fun horror movies I've seen recently that was ALSO high effort. Shame "the community" ran off the people behind this movie cus its more authentic to RE than even the old live action ones.
I wanna gush about it but I also don't want my posts to spoil the movie for someone. Giving it time lol
I WILL TALK ABOUT IT WITH YOU AS SOON AS I SEE IT IM TRYNA TO FIND A GOOD DATE TO GO WITH MY FRIENDS. IT LOOKS SOOOOOO GOOD
I loved it! I also felt like it may have been inspired by Dead Space, too. Just an incredible movie that is MUCH more RE than ANY of the previous RE movies have been